• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WW11 Veteran

Back in 2012, I had the great honour of inviting my good friend and his Father, Peter, to our aviation museum for a static display. His Dad is a WW11 Veteran and I always hoped we could somehow tell his story. Peter is the man in blue chatting with the pilot of the B-17, Sentimental Journey. He talked very little about what he did, "I was just a medic" he'd say. He was a silent soldier.

IMG_0266.jpgIMG_0094.jpg

As things go over the years, we also met Al Cameron who founded https://vetvoicecan.org/ and this past week this wonderful, great humored Medic finally told his story. I will post the video when it's done.

In addition to the interview and his story saved to perpetuity, Veterans are presented with a quilt. When big Al asks Peter if he could get a picture with the quilt wrapped over his shoulders, Peter says "Do I have to take my clothes off again?". Peter cracks me up. http://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/

20170320_111615.jpg

Just hours after this interview, Peter's wife, my friend's step-Mother, passed away from a long battle with cancer. She was very involved with making this interview happen for 94 year old Peter. If there is someone in your life that is important enough to think about, tell them now how amazing you think they are. To ALL those who served, Thank You!

https://www.facebook.com/VeteransVoicesofCanada/posts/1406393982765754

"""""""THIS is part of the reason we do what we do at Veterans Voices of Canada! This all happened only several hours after I sat,met,thanked and interviewed this awesome Second World War Veteran and Medic Peter Tymofichuk.

This quote from son-in-law Gunther Winter who helped us make the interview day happen;"This is in honor of my father in law Peter whose wife Rita passed away yesterday shortly after his interview with Al Cameron of Veterans Voices of Canada. Rita had insisted he did this in their memory. Peter got to whisper in her ear that he loved her and kissed her good night moments before she passed".
Myself(Al Cameron) and us all at Veterans Voices of Canada are truly honoured to be a part of these amazing family stories.
Heroes all!""""""""""

1944mb

EXHAUST MANIFOLDSThey tend to crack. One contributing factor could be the setting on the manifold flap just below the carb on the firewall side. Here is the info from C-30-340-000/MB-000, formerly 7610-21-102-2088 also called CDN-OM9-819A, or known as the operator's manual. At one time this info was restricted so that's why we don't all know everything about the deuce.....yet!
I did notice that the other day as I was painting that engine and was curious on the settings-my manifold has a small crack. I've also heard it speculated that too lean of a carb setting will do it as well.

What is to become of the shop van body?? Always thought they would make a fun camper

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in 2012, I had the great honour of inviting my good friend and his Father, Peter, to our aviation museum for a static display. His Dad is a WW11 Veteran and I always hoped we could somehow tell his story. Peter is the man in blue chatting with the pilot of the B-17, Sentimental Journey. He talked very little about what he did, "I was just a medic" he'd say. He was a silent soldier.

View attachment 672411View attachment 672412

As things go over the years, we also met Al Cameron who founded https://vetvoicecan.org/ and this past week this wonderful, great humored Medic finally told his story. I will post the video when it's done.

In addition to the interview and his story saved to perpetuity, Veterans are presented with a quilt. When big Al asks Peter if he could get a picture with the quilt wrapped over his shoulders, Peter says "Do I have to take my clothes off again?". Peter cracks me up. http://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/

View attachment 672414

Just hours after this interview, Peter's wife, my friend's step-Mother, passed away from a long battle with cancer. She was very involved with making this interview happen for 94 year old Peter. If there is someone in your life that is important enough to think about, tell them now how amazing you think they are. To ALL those who served, Thank You!

https://www.facebook.com/VeteransVoicesofCanada/posts/1406393982765754

"""""""THIS is part of the reason we do what we do at Veterans Voices of Canada! This all happened only several hours after I sat,met,thanked and interviewed this awesome Second World War Veteran and Medic Peter Tymofichuk.

This quote from son-in-law Gunther Winter who helped us make the interview day happen;"This is in honor of my father in law Peter whose wife Rita passed away yesterday shortly after his interview with Al Cameron of Veterans Voices of Canada. Rita had insisted he did this in their memory. Peter got to whisper in her ear that he loved her and kissed her good night moments before she passed".
Myself(Al Cameron) and us all at Veterans Voices of Canada are truly honoured to be a part of these amazing family stories.
Heroes all!""""""""""
It's people like you and stories like these that make me proud to be in this hobby. Thanks for honoring a vet. We can't do enough for them...

Another Ahab

They tend to crack. One contributing factor could be the setting on the manifold flap just below the carb on the firewall side. Here is the info from C-30-340-000/MB-000, formerly 7610-21-102-2088 also called CDN-OM9-819A, or known as the operator's manual. At one time this info was restricted so that's why we don't all know everything about the deuce.....yet!

View attachment 672393
The deuce warranted classified restriction?! That's humorous.

Probably because of the braking system. :naner::mrgreen:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's people like you and stories like these that make me proud to be in this hobby. Thanks for honoring a vet. We can't do enough for them...
Thank you Bill, Lest We Never Forget.

I did notice that the other day as I was painting that engine and was curious on the settings-my manifold has a small crack. I've also heard it speculated that too lean of a carb setting will do it as well.

What is to become of the shop van body?? Always thought they would make a fun camper
When the shop van got pulled off the truck the picker's gauge said 4000lbs so it's heavy. Mine is real nice to sleep in and I give it up to visitors when they come visit. ;-)

I remember that day, Grate photo op. Thanks for setting it up Dave [thumbzup]
I think we had about 12 MVPA units pull in for that show thanks to you guys, we'll dig up those photos......and you're welcome.

The G749 parts are still out there folks! Had a fine young gent tell me he was going to see a guy that was cleaning shop and had some early deuce truck parts, real close to the 49th. A 4' long tupperware container showed up at the meeting today. The mirror bracket had these sweet anodized connector pieces, there are plenty of donuts, bearings, a cool fire extinguisher, a starter, seals, carb parts,,,,,,,,. Once I inventory I'll see if I have anything to give up and start a claSSified.

P3250227.jpgP3250226.jpgP3250233.jpgP3250230.jpgP3250231.jpgP3250232.jpg

Most of the stuff is gold, well it's all gold but some of it might be gold for someone else. The wheel cylinders appear to be the 1 1/4" so I'm following up on the NSN to be sure. I can't use them. Also came across these 1 3/4" wheel cylinder kits so I need to hustle the numbers on these too unless someone recognizes what they're for.....maybe I'll just pay them forward. This certainly gives up some hope that someone saving a deuce might still find some pieces.

P3250237.jpgP3250236.jpgP3250239.jpg P3250240.jpg

USMC 00-08

Nice score on the parts! Those are the 1-1/4 wheel cylinders. They look exactly like what came off my truck.

Is the piston that the wheel cylinder cup goes on two pieces like the one on the right?

100_2650.jpg

1944mb

So I'm curious how do these engine/transmissions balance when pulled with a chain. I was looking back through your thread plowboy cause I re call you had a pic of one. Looks like its pretty tranny heavy. TM 8024 on page 208 shows using a sling, and I was curious if anyone had the dimensions for this. Usually I would just rip and tear this out, but I hate to tie into and get the assembly half out and not be able to set it down to reposition

1944mb

You can see the sling in this pic. Also the radiator lifting arms-I've always wondered what those were for with the engine in place, I could see the radiator had provisions for it but it never sat in those arms. This engineering behind this truck totally amazes me-if you were on a front line repair station and blew up a engine or tranny, it's be easy to swap the whole assembly and get back in the field. These trucks are amazing.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine Removal

So I'm curious how do these engine/transmissions balance when pulled with a chain. I was looking back through your thread plowboy cause I re call you had a pic of one. Looks like its pretty tranny heavy. TM 8024 on page 208 shows using a sling, and I was curious if anyone had the dimensions for this. Usually I would just rip and tear this out, but I hate to tie into and get the assembly half out and not be able to set it down to reposition
One of these is always handy http://www.affjaxx.com/engine-tilter-2200-p-22.html It's the same thing as the sling, but it's adjustable. Using the Bobcat to pull it out is always a bonus too. We didn't have the sling but the boys came up with something, I'll check the pics.

The big melt is nearly done so it's good to see you getting at it.

P4080285.jpg

USMC 00-08

I am still fighting mine a little. All of them were rebuilt again last July and only one of the 6 wheels is still leaking. I blocked off the brake line going to that wheel until I can have a chance to tear it open again. Work and other things have not let me do the things I want to do lately. A three day weekend is coming up so I might get to it then.

Glad to see you coming out of hibernation up there.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Summer, are we there yet?

We had a visitor at the G749 farm today. The 1991, British 4 ton Leyland Daf, 5 speed - Cummins, Right Hand drive,.....with 2300 on the ODO which usually wouldn't mean much, but this thing is tight, spotless underneath. We've learned today that it likely hauled fuel at Wainwright, but I don't want to be the one to give it all away just yet. http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/cfb-wainwright/index.page

P5010335.jpg P5010345.jpg P5010343.jpg P5010337.jpg

I followed it out from the city with this crazy load on it. We need to find some sides, troopseats, bows and tarps for it so I grabbed a pic of the 16' deck.
The tie-downs on this thing are outrageous. Two rows and twenty some tie down points makes it easy to tie down odd loads. Terrh and his better half done real good.

P5010329.jpg P5010342.jpg

The entire truck is outrageous and I think we might have some hill climb fail video coming. Time didn't allow for a pull-off but I'm willing to bet a Tenderloin that Goose the Deuce would drag the British princess queen all over the farm....he.he.he.he. It's on.

P5010341.jpg

I wanted to leave the trucks together overnight, the M135 on the right was also used by the British and we're not sure what they'd do if left alone.
Next thing you know we'd have a bunch of bobbed, Daffy Geese running around. Mating the Cummins, 5 speed to the M135 would certainly be some noble breeding.

P5010336.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fired up the 3rd G749 on the G749 Farm. Wasn't sure what to expect with this M211 sitting for 5 years. It was called the truck from he77 by the PO so finally had a chance to exercise this beast. Found some real optimism when 6 deer showed up to help. That's got to be one of the best things about the farm, lots of wild life. This was one of the motors that had the plugs pulled, oil squirted in to the cylinders and turned over by hand.

With Goose showing slippage slidin' away symptoms, More the M211 is being tested as a possible donor.

Sounds like the starter stayed engaged for a few seconds and had some odd noises coming out of the transmission but it starts and runs so step one done. Here's a vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl1cjPT9HG8&feature=youtu.be

1944mb

So goose is having some tranny slippage issue, eh? When is it doing it?

Looks like the the farm is getting depleted, better get some re-inforcements. And how about that, even the grass is starting to pop through!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 3rd gear symptom, 4th just starting to slip. Lucas has kept us going. Ran non-detergent 30 and 1 jug of Lucas the last service and slowly she started slipping over the summer. I'm thinking like you and want to open things up to see what's going on in there.

We hit close to 80°F today, some kind of 126yr record broken and even the trees were pushing green. It's hot, it's cold, it's hot....geeeez, maybe Mother Nature is beginning menopause.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring is here, finally got some temps in the seventies. Love the sound of the your m211 running, maybe just maybe later on this summer I can get my m135 running, won't be drive able but running.

Would like to get up to your neck of the woods and see all your MV's. Would be a hoot. Maybe next year if able.

Last edited:

1944mb

It's a 3rd gear symptom, 4th just starting to slip. Lucas has kept us going. Ran non-detergent 30 and 1 jug of Lucas the last service and slowly she started slipping over the summer. I'm thinking like you and want to open things up to see what's going on in there.
Did you historically run 30W and if you used a lightier oil did the slippage get less severe with heavier oil? I'm wondering if you don't have a weak front pump, and therefore lower oil pressure. With lower oil pressure the clutch packs aren't held tight enough to prevent slippage. Yep, if you decided to drop her out I'd be game to mess with it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 gratitude

Had a call that a group of cadets couldn't get into their regular compass training, long weekend campsite so the G749 farm hosted its first cadet camp. An LSVW, Iltis and a support van pulled in Friday night and within a few hours, 26 cadets, several cadet officers, Warrant officers Big and Bigger Heart, a 60 year old female Captain, parents and siblings were staged at the farm.
Warrant officer Bigger Heart provided his personal trucks to set up a spectacular camp. I met him through the MVPA so it was real nice to provide the old trucks for the cadets to experience. The discipline of these kids and the interaction between the different ranks is inspiring and we'll do it again.

20170519_203416.jpgP5190035.jpgP5210047.jpg20170520_225737.jpg20170520_163205.jpg

It was a tough weekend for the troops with a typical 2 mile walk turning into an 8 mile walk because a swamp got in their way. The mosquito's were bad as well but not one complaint from the troops. Night missions were conducted, casualty simulation with smoke bombs in some of the old cars sitting around, overall just a tight display of military training.

P5190030.jpg EK000470.jpg EK000471.jpg

The Gizmo team pulled out their mobile home and set up camp for the weekend. Setting up on top of the biggest hill possible was brilliant with the mosquito population staying away most of the time. We had a few meals with the cadet group, did a few trail rides...I mean troop movements.... but mostly left them alone to do what they had to do. Goose was flawless until the last night when I asked the 60 year old Captain if she wanted to drive. We headed into a two mile loop and Goose started to miss and pop a little. The poor girl had to work the throttle while muscling Goose through this elevating, windy loop all the way back to camp and had the biggest smile when we landed back at base. I was honoured to give her the chance to drive. Had plenty of help changing the fuel filter and pulling the carb screen but Goose is still complaining so maybe popped the points again.

EK000433.jpgEK000408.jpgP5200044.jpg20170522_121330.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks