• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only seen pictures of Gracie and already miss her. I wish I would have never sold my Deuce. Hope to see posts on Gracie at her new home.
You'll love this one Merle since it involves "Seat Time". We saved another M135 with a bit of a twist.

This truck was dragged home to the top of a hill by Steel Soldier Mattech years ago. Since it was a non-runner he wanted to move it into a staging area and his better half is a most capable driver, so he asked for help. All she needed was some "Seat Time" and a little push to gently roll 300' down the hill to the parking spot. This 1954 modified dumpin' M135 has some fast bearings and it wanted to roll. After the first few feet off the top of the hill she knew to pull out the thunbs and aim for the 'small' trees. She punched about 50' into the bush and bent some things doing it. The rumour is, it's still the funniest thing the two of them have done together......and I've seen this lady off the ground in a jeep.

The truck is right in there.

P8011481.JPG

We finally found some time to dig it out and look at that bumper that .......almost.......hit the small trees.

P8011483.JPGP8011484.JPGP8011485.JPGP8011486.JPGP8011487.JPGP8011488.JPG

She's an after-market dumper.

P8011489.JPGP8011495.JPG

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brother decided we needed a pole barn for the 1950's farm equipment that has been sitting under piled tin for 70 years. I like throwing down when someone has energy for a project so yesterday we had a spot cleaned, poles up and one beam on in just a few hours. I was grabbing pictures but didn't know I was capturing the arrival of one of the craziest storms I've seen in a while. I knew you ol' deuce boys would like the visual.

P9221705.JPG P9221708.JPG P9221707.JPG P9221709.JPGP9221716.JPGP9221717.JPG

After a lot of water and lightning it was a shiny new day today with Goose jumping in and keeping this landscaper from falling on the ground. The poor truck sat in the same spot all summer and the first thing I do when I have time to visit is walk all over her. I think it's time to get greasy, down on one knee and drop in her new power-pack! Can you believe it's our ten year anniversary this year?

P9241722.JPGP9241725.JPGP9241732.JPG

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The brother decided we needed a pole barn for the 1950's farm equipment that has been sitting under piled tin for 70 years. I like throwing down when someone has energy for a project so yesterday we had a spot cleaned, poles up and one beam on in just a few hours. I was grabbing pictures but didn't know I was capturing the arrival of one of the craziest storms I've seen in a while. I knew you ol' deuce boys would like the visual.

View attachment 846250 View attachment 846253 View attachment 846251 View attachment 846254View attachment 846255View attachment 846256

After a lot of water and lightning it was a shiny new day today with Goose jumping in and keeping this landscaper from falling on the ground. The poor truck sat in the same spot all summer and the first thing I do when I have time to visit is walk all over her. I think it's time to get greasy, down on one knee and drop in her new power-pack! Can you believe it's our ten year anniversary this year?

View attachment 846257View attachment 846258View attachment 846259
That is so neat... The clouds almost look like jet stream steering currents when they are bending the air.

Looks like Goose was having a good time too.
Just helping out where I can boss. :)

Another Ahab

yesterday we had a spot cleaned, poles up and one beam on in just a few hours. I was grabbing pictures but didn't know I was capturing the arrival of one of the craziest storms I've seen in a while. I knew you ol' deuce boys would like the visual.

View attachment 846253
Yikes, clouds looking REAL strange make a body want to run and hide!

Now, plowboy, just how did you dig all those postholes in a day:

- Raw labor?!

- Or did you all use a power auger of aome kind?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

- Raw labor?!

I guess power auger on skid loader??? That's my guess, he IS industrious though, just ask Goose!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

- Raw labor?!

Meow.........We're set up with the Cat, auger, forks and didn't touch anything heavy with hands. The Cat can drill, set the posts, place beams, fork material to the roof.....and it never gets tired. We don't get a chance to use it much around the farm but it jumps in once in a while when our primary toy is busy.

P7171434.JPGPA031768.JPG

We have some serious decisions to make at the G749 farm. Our old farm house across the road from the G749 farm just came up for sale through a horrible accident so we're all still in shock. The neigbbours were in a bad highway crash, survived and are recovering but they won't farm again. They have 5 acres with sheep and chickens and I now smell like sheep and chickens as everyone pitches in to watch the property.

I live in the big City......I like people, convenience, my neighbours,......., but the farm has amazing water from an abundant well......but it's 40 miles away from work........but it's across the road from our food production farm and the trucks.....but I just got my house in the City set up like a show home.....I only have one more side to put windows in and it'd be all new........but the lousy new drivers in the city and the decline in love one feels when out and about makes one think about not being here........but there's work here and it's close.....we can work anywhere........maybe not as much..... fuel costs play in when you're commuting 80 miles a day .......get a bike........time for a career change maybe.....you'd need to drive East in the Morning and West at night.......We could finally start that full food production greenhouse......raise chickens,,,,,,,I don't want to raise chickens.......I do like food....how's the 5 year outlook on the economy LOL.......outlooks?, how do we do any forecasting with this gong show happening..........cancelled contracts from layed-off folks loosing their jobs.....a questionable economic future......possible decline in global food production due to cosmic happenings and volcanic dust makes a greenhouse look handy......tough to predict a future when the present is murky......let's bounce some ideas off the team!

Who here has moved from the City to an acreage and would never go back?

Who has lived on an acreage then moved to the City as is happier than a pig in a big apple?

Would you fellas come visit so we won't be lonely?

It's real nice for 210 days of the year.

PA031765.JPG

We have a garden

PA031767.JPGPA031766.JPG

and the ground grows fantastic potatoes....if ya like potatos'

PA031770.JPGPA031769.JPG

....but I'm sure we don't have any cattle.....yet.

PA031777.JPG

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the "country" but work in the city. I wouldn't go back unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. The lake, the woods, the gravel road ............the birds, wildlife, "adventure" of exploring and doing things different than most. Home maintenance is a chore, grass to mow, animals to feed and water....................Over all? I'll take the country. City is ok for working, but not for me and the wife for living. My two cents..................PS I run the "other" cat............................Bob............lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Meow.........We're set up with the Cat, auger, forks and didn't touch anything heavy with hands. The Cat can drill, set the posts, place beams, fork material to the roof.....and it never gets tired. We don't get a chance to use it much around the farm but it jumps in once in a while when our primary toy is busy.

View attachment 847090View attachment 847091

We have some serious decisions to make at the G749 farm. Our old farm house across the road from the G749 farm just came up for sale through a horrible accident so we're all still in shock. The neigbbours were in a bad highway crash, survived and are recovering but they won't farm again. They have 5 acres with sheep and chickens and I now smell like sheep and chickens as everyone pitches in to watch the property.

I live in the big City......I like people, convenience, my neighbours,......., but the farm has amazing water from an abundant well......but it's 40 miles away from work........but it's across the road from our food production farm and the trucks.....but I just got my house in the City set up like a show home.....I only have one more side to put windows in and it'd be all new........but the lousy new drivers in the city and the decline in love one feels when out and about makes one think about not being here........but there's work here and it's close.....we can work anywhere........maybe not as much..... fuel costs play in when you're commuting 80 miles a day .......get a bike........time for a career change maybe.....you'd need to drive East in the Morning and West at night.......We could finally start that full food production greenhouse......raise chickens,,,,,,,I don't want to raise chickens.......I do like food....how's the 5 year outlook on the economy LOL.......outlooks?, how do we do any forecasting with this gong show happening..........cancelled contracts from layed-off folks loosing their jobs.....a questionable economic future......possible decline in global food production due to cosmic happenings and volcanic dust makes a greenhouse look handy......tough to predict a future when the present is murky......let's bounce some ideas off the team!

Who here has moved from the City to an acreage and would never go back?

Who has lived on an acreage then moved to the City as is happier than a pig in a big apple?

Would you fellas come visit so we won't be lonely?

It's real nice for 210 days of the year.

View attachment 847095

We have a garden

View attachment 847097View attachment 847096

and the ground grows fantastic potatoes....if ya like potatos'

View attachment 847098View attachment 847099

....but I'm sure we don't have any cattle.....yet.

View attachment 847100
I really like that last picture of the young man in the red shirt... Observing the lower 40.

Can't really claim that I have lived in the country. I have lived on the "edge of town" in years gone by. Presently in an old neighborhood before every house was stacked with no grass between the houses... I like that and getting to work in less than 10 minutes including stoplights is nice. Country living and raising critters isn't easy - but being self sufficient has real advantages.

USMC 00-08

I have lived in the country and had to move to the city when I left home at 18. Very much miss living away from town and if the opportunity presents itself, I will move out of town.

Did the 40 mile each way commute for 5 years. It does get old, but you can adjust to it. Sometimes the drive is nice if you need to calm down a bit after a frustrating day at work. Snow and ice can really make that drive long.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're getting ready to freeze at the G749 farm by getting all the anti-freezes dipped, batteries stored and gardens black. It's a real friendly community and about mid-day 5 naaaaaaburrs show up to give me a hoof and a headbutt. I was warned about the big black one but he came right over to me and snuggled up for a scratch. I'm pretty sure they felt bad about the electric fence falling over and they just came over to let me know.

IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

Sheep are kinda funny and they were my best buddies following me around and posing by the truck when I asked them to. Real polite when they're not on there own property. It wasn't long before they started heading home so I followed them in the truck to let them back in the pen and see how they got out.

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

It appeared I was 'sheep whispering' because they took me right to the pen and everything was going smooth. I could see where they pushed the electric fence over so I grabbed a branch and a heavy stick to stand it back up. The next thing I know the black sheep takes a run at me. No one let him know that I knew his move and I played hockey. I got lucky and hip checked him in the head. That just mad him mad and he took those 5 steps back for another run.....so I charged him in that Mike Tyson low stance which really freaked him out. He grabbed his four buddies and went straight in the gate. Funny critters.

IMG_0030.jpg

Cool before and after shot chasing sheep into the same yard Grandpa chased critters 100 years ago in 1921.

Resized_20211006_202435.jpg IMG_0031.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only seen pictures of Gracie and already miss her. I wish I would have never sold my Deuce. Hope to see posts on Gracie at her new home.
I was thinking about you in the Congo today Merle. Working in the boiling sun on hot aluminum and making sure things are just right would have been amazing. Then there's that part about "I wish I never sold my Deuce" that came to mind.

I know now that I am just making sure I hang on to certain trucks long enough to get them in the right hands. I'm very satisfied I just sold my 7th deuce and hope I never need to say...... I wish I never sold my___________.

Thinking about hot places was the only way to stay warm when some 'new fellas' on the MV scene smelled a deuce for the first time.

Resized_20211130_164410_1.jpg

It's not just any deuce these fellas found high above the 55th parallel in northern Canada. It's an M216 CDN in great shape. Since these fellas are new to the MV world, they hadn't met the MVPA, just began surfing SS....and have just started machining new parts for the G749.....machining parts for the G749.......but they were as excited about the old 6x6's as everyone of us.

After machining a GMC 235 into the old M216.....that's right, .....fit in what you have is always a solution.....even if it's a little small...... these fine young Canadian boys went shopping for spare deuce parts. I keep G749 stuff listed online to make sure new hearts know it's out there and I got the call that someone needs an engine.

Then I got a picture of that sweet M216 sent to me and I knew that Goose had a plan....right from day one.... to have a photo beside each one of her sisters...or brothers...depending on who the Prime minister is at the time.

How long does it take 4 Canadians to load 2 engines and one 6x6 in some 'normal' temperatures for this time of year??? ........here's the proof.
Start,........ The game cam clock is out by daylight savings time and a bit of Apple moonshine so for the number guys.....we started at 1531h

STC_0014.JPG

Finish......Goose is going north.......

STC_0117.JPG

This wasn't going to be an easy task in cool temperatures, off grid, in the bush.......starting old Goose. I never turn a key unless it's plugged in, above freezing, or in a heated garage. Goose was popping and farting last time I put her to work so I wasn't sure she would want to drive on a trailer after 0' F for a few days...... but she did.

The cavalry came flying in to help so to Mattech........buddy........ you made working in the cold an absolute pleasure. Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you....and I owe you a what????? a clevis.?? When a fella is running a lifting machine and he's got good ground guys.....magic happens.

STC_0073.JPG

Loading a 'power pak'...engine/trans combo........ in the back of Goose, ........start to finish,...... go!

STC_0075.JPGSTC_0096.JPGSTC_0100.JPG

When your fellow countrymen pull in with propane torches, booster paks, spare batteries, straps, cables, chains and time........Goose things are going to happen.

STC_0035.JPGSTC_0065.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking about you in the Congo today Merle. Working in the boiling sun on hot aluminum and making sure things are just right would have been amazing. Then there's that part about "I wish I never sold my Deuce" that came to mind.

I know now that I am just making sure I hang on to certain trucks long enough to get them in the right hands. I'm very satisfied I just sold my 7th deuce and hope I never need to say...... I wish I never sold my___________.

Thinking about hot places was the only way to stay warm when some 'new fellas' on the MV scene smelled a deuce for the first time.

View attachment 852575

It's not just any deuce these fellas found high above the 55th parallel in northern Canada. It's an M216 CDN in great shape. Since these fellas are new to the MV world, they hadn't met the MVPA, just began surfing SS....and have just started machining new parts for the G749.....machining parts for the G749.......but they were as excited about the old 6x6's as everyone of us.

After machining a GMC 235 into the old M216.....that's right, .....fit in what you have is always a solution.....even if it's a little small...... these fine young Canadian boys went shopping for spare deuce parts. I keep G749 stuff listed online to make sure new hearts know it's out there and I got the call that someone needs an engine.

Then I got a picture of that sweet M216 sent to me and I knew that Goose had a plan....right from day one.... to have a photo beside each one of her sisters...or brothers...depending on who the Prime minister is at the time.

How long does it take 4 Canadians to load 2 engines and one 6x6 in some 'normal' temperatures for this time of year??? ........here's the proof.
Start,........ The game cam clock is out by daylight savings time and a bit of Apple moonshine so for the number guys.....we started at 1531h

View attachment 852567

Finish......Goose is going north.......

View attachment 852568

This wasn't going to be an easy task in cool temperatures, off grid, in the bush.......starting old Goose. I never turn a key unless it's plugged in, above freezing, or in a heated garage. Goose was popping and farting last time I put her to work so I wasn't sure she would want to drive on a trailer after 0' F for a few days...... but she did.

The cavalry came flying in to help so to Mattech........buddy........ you made working in the cold an absolute pleasure. Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you....and I owe you a what????? a clevis.?? When a fella is running a lifting machine and he's got good ground guys.....magic happens.

View attachment 852570

Loading a 'power pak'...engine/trans combo........ in the back of Goose, ........start to finish,...... go!

View attachment 852571View attachment 852572View attachment 852573

When your fellow countrymen pull in with propane torches, booster paks, spare batteries, straps, cables, chains and time........Goose things are going to happen.

View attachment 852569View attachment 852574
Wow! What an adventure...
No complaints from us below the border where it was a balmy 74 yesterday.

Another Ahab

"...machining parts..."

Now THAT is dedication!!

I like it when Goose things are happening.

Cheers, plowboy!

Mattech

Well Plowboy... we did a great job of getting Goose to her new family... was very happy she drove up onto the trailer ... on winch needed ... all went safe and sound, everything tied down quick and easy for sure.. sad to see her leaving though... gotta get something else up and running for you now...235 has me wanting to see it in a truck and running for sure...got my curiousity going hot and horny for sure...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plowboy, Brother; you're a mean man with a camera(phone)!
Ahab, thank you. Most of the photos are selected from thousands of marginal pics. I just kept clicking with the decade old Olympus TG-619 camera, designed in Tokyo and made in China. There is a spin off from the education process here at SteelS with folks appreciating, front, side, rear, quarter, top and bottom shots of absolutely anything. A little landscape design suggests Color, texture, harmony, rhythm and balance are things we look for. Mostly it's just a lot of photo taking, but there is training out there..... https://getpocket.com/explore/item/6-common-photography-mistakes-to-avoid?utm_source=pocket-newtab

However, if you fall on the ice and take pictures while you're down there, the Fury 1 photo can be magical.

P2250017.JPG

Getting an MV in frame while there is something else...or a lot of something else.... going on in the background is hot. Getting the flag right requires wind which is hard to be good at.....asking for wind.

P7230334.JPG

Goose was my second MV next to Push the M1010 but once I got them, they almost demanded to have pictures taken. The 50's deuce was just beginning to retire from a regular shift when the 80's introduced the M1010. That's historical. The Goose photo days from 2011 and 2012.

548.jpeg

Once Goose's cab and frame were painted and the fella with his birth day/month on the data-plate approved, getting her out in public seemed easy. The 16/3/27 Pops with the 16/3/56 Goose in 2011.

popsandgoose.JPG

Being a part of the Edmonton Aviation Museum since the 90's provided unbelievable opportunity for photos. I was plane nuts long before I was MV nuts but the photo ops are outrageous. Gooses early days in 2012, even through the winter, running to parades and static displays whenever she could.

P1120019.jpeg P2010308.jpeg P9010926.jpg

Truck, Aircraft, wind in the flag......just the right place at the right time with good batteries and 32GB.

P8190266.JPG

Goose got to hang out with some Canadian family for more photos after 2012. It's hard to get good pics with a big family.

Left to right, The 1954 CDN M207/ Shop Van..... mistaken as an M220, often called an M220, did some time up north and has rare black-out kit rails and double door system on the back....... the 1953 CDN M211 from the Penhold bunker, now back near the Penhold bunker with a Duramax and being used on a regular basis.....and Goose the Deuce.

3trucks.jpg2015 trucks farm sec 387.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks