• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

rustystud

Rusty, ........ I see MV's on the parade routes in Alberta. Quebec just battled the injustice of MV's being 'banned' and won....... British Columbia sucked some garbage info out of the AAMVA and is trying it on the crowd out west so we're watching that gong show. So far even the B.C. MV folks are still quietly getting their trucks on the road as it should be.

The gent with this deuce filled the M135 with fuel at around $1.70 / litre last weekend. He then drove approx. 60 miles to the town of Stony Plain very early in the morning. The intent and purpose was to carry Canadian Military veterans through a parade route in a small town. If this donation of a Canadian's time and money to support veterans is going to be challenged, we'll intently support an opposition.

View attachment 870058

In the background there a lot of people being pro-active and helping design the future of MV ownership. We know there will be some kind of change in the future. If we keep the radar turned up high, we should be able to see the challenges before they shut us down completely. It's only the people that don't understand the minimal impact the MV hobby has on the environment that cause us grief. The maximum impact the MV hobby has can be seen in faces of those we carry.

View attachment 870057View attachment 870059View attachment 870060View attachment 870061
That's good to hear !
If the nut jobs who want military vehicles off the road win in Canada, you know for a fact they will try here in the States too.
Keep up the good work !!!
SemperFi !

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good to hear !
If the nut jobs who want military vehicles off the road win in Canada, you know for a fact they will try here in the States too.
Keep up the good work !!!
SemperFi !
"Nut jobs" know no nationality!! They're everywhere.......Now, "Common Sense"?? Becoming more rare as each day passes...:(

Last edited:

Another Ahab

"Nut jobs" know no nationality!! They're everywhere.......Now, "Common Sense"?? Becoming more rare are each day passes...:(
Funny because some things never change much!

What you say is right, marchplumber, and reminds me of the comment by the ancient Roman statesman Cicero who wrote (100 BCE):

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."

:mrgreen::beer::mrgreen:

rustystud

"Nut jobs" know no nationality!! They're everywhere.......Now, "Common Sense"?? Becoming more rare as each day passes...:(
If you have "common sense" then you must take responsibility for your own actions. Can't have that in our "modern" society can we ! I need someone to blame for my stupid mistakes and wrong decisions .
At least that is what the "political elite" are telling me.
I"m sorry I went political here. Slap me !

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're almost certain we found a shiny cam among the neglected piston rust!

P6192631.JPG

Did some more tear down on the 302 crop to thin out the rows. If the plugs were pulled back in the day and some preservative oil spilled on top of the pistons, these things might have survived 40 years of storage. Maybe we can sell them as yard art.

P6192610.JPG

It's always a surprise what we find behind the pans. Some are rusted so bad the lifters don't come out and a few I found today were reasonable. The pistons all look bad and are stuck pretty hard but tomorrow we flip the engines and see if we can knock a few out. Just not sure if the blocks can be saved but if anyone of them can...it's the one that is 0.0 on the bore.

P6182601.JPGP6182602.JPGP6192618.JPG

Found a different oil filter and two crank bolts that were smaller than the majority 15/16.

P6192615.JPGP6192611.JPG

This component reminds me the most about politics.

P5152466.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We made engine tear down life faster by pulling out the generator and using modern tools. Pulley pulling tools that can pull their weight around the G749 farm are a bonus.

P6182597.JPGP6192612.JPG

This stuff under the heads is also a bonus. When the head looks like this......

P6182605.JPG

....the top of the piston looks like this.

P6182604.JPG

We have been trying all the tricks so hopefully we get one apart and the pistons fall out.

P5231337.JPG

More surprises behind the pans.

P6192626.JPG

Some decent lifters.

P6192629.JPG

A field of 302's waiting to be flipped to pull the pans. The only thing left to pull are the compressors, ...which also reminds me of politics.

P6192640.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got three of the best engines ready for stripping but keep getting chased out by the rain.

P6212644.JPG

Jumped on it today and saw some real clean guts inside what appears to be an original block with an original plate. I'm a stripper!

P6232666.JPGP6232654.JPG

How does the oil pump come off? All I see in the book are two studs on the inside of the block and a round cap on the outside.

P6232676.JPG P6232684.JPG P6232686.JPG

Pulled what I could and see a little rust on the cam. From what little this landscaper can tell, she's in good condition. The obvious damage was a rip in the cork gasket on the rear so this thing may have just developed a bad leak then got pulled. Getting closer to seeing if the pistons will slip out.

P6232682.JPGP6232681.JPGP6232680.JPG

Apparently there are two bolts that hold the cam gear onto the cam so if anyone has pulled the big gear before, .....without wrecking it....how about some tips?

P6232672.JPG

rustystud

Well there's two ways to go that I know of off hand. One, find the Snap-On tool that uses a round pull leg that you install through the gear holes and swivel to catch the backside of the gear. The second is to use a "wide" bar puller to catch the outside of the gears teeth. Be careful with this last setup as you can damage the gear teeth. You can apply some heat to the gear around the camshaft .
The picture shows the Snap-On tool that you use on a Bar puller. i'm sure OTC makes one too.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta admit Keppy I'm guilty of loaning the books out and really needed the lead....thank you. At one point 9-8025 was not available online but JATONKA has it up there........it's just labelled wrong.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/M135-211/TM9-8025-1Part1of2.pdf TM 9-1825-1-1 Ordinance Field and Depot Maintenance GMC 302 Engine Part 1 of 2

I'll poke them, let them know how grateful I am they put the TM's up and get that little typo fixed up...... 1825-1-1 should read 9-8025

I thought those screws held the gear on and I can't get at them because the cam doesn't spin......but now I see the gear is just pressed on. I was warned the gears break before they come off so maybe I try more heat. I did hit it with propane heat but might need different heat. I need some of that mechanical RUSTY heat up here. WHere's a mechanic when you need one? The gear looked like it was going to detonate so I stopped pulling. We keep trying. The first one we tried looked like it was aluminum. This one looks like it would hold a magnet so we try a different gear with plan B.

P6242696.JPGP6232673.JPG

I put pics and info up Justin Case anyone needs to do this. Can't wait to get back on that oil pump and kick it in the butt. Pops would always say things like......."It's just an oil pump, don't let it outsmart you!"

P6242695.JPG

rustystud

If the cam still spun, then you could remove the cam and hold-down plate in one assembly. I've done that many times in the past. Then you put the shaft in a press and using a bearing splitter push off that gear. Since it is frozen you will need to press it off in the field and that involves the correct pullers and heat. Your correct in that there are two types of gears used . The older one was cast iron and the newer one was aluminum . The crankshaft gear was always steel. They used different types of metals to prevent breakage of teeth and for sound attenuation (deadening) . Luckly the military never used the "fiber" cam gear that Chevy did in the early 1950's. They had a tendency to "explode" when worn out. Lost a whole set of pistons and valves in that old 235 Chevy engine !

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the cam still spun, then you could remove the cam and hold-down plate in one assembly. I've done that many times in the past. Then you put the shaft in a press and using a bearing splitter push off that gear. Since it is frozen you will need to press it off in the field and that involves the correct pullers and heat. Your correct in that there are two types of gears used . The older one was cast iron and the newer one was aluminum . The crankshaft gear was always steel. They used different types of metals to prevent breakage of teeth and for sound attenuation (deadening) . Luckly the military never used the "fiber" cam gear that Chevy did in the early 1950's. They had a tendency to "explode" when worn out. Lost a whole set of pistons and valves in that old 235 Chevy engine !
Once you and Keppy laid it out I knew the cam had to come out and a press was best for removing the cam gear if we need to. Thanks fellas!

P6292931.JPGP6292932.JPG

It's just an oil pump, and it almost outsmarted me. Depending on where the engines are seized and where the crank sits, access to the oil pump bolt BD/BC 528144 will vary. This little cranky bolt is the culprit.

P6292872.JPGP6292934.JPGP6292924.JPGP6292933.JPG

Finally got a stubby 1/2" wrench on the bolt because access to the 5/8 lock nut needed a bendy wrench that I will make one day.

P6292869.JPG

Once the oil pump BE 7000506 is out and the cap assy' were pulled I was able to wedge the crank away from the cam. I was able to get some leverage on the cam to spin it and then find the 2 cam screws through the holes. This first cam has a dead stop about a 1/2" out so something is still keeping it from coming home.

P6292879.JPG

This second engine from Mohawk rebuilders from 1977 has some 13/16 bolts holding all the crank bearings in place instead of the typical 3/4 bolts. The bearing assy is different on the Mohawk style and had castle nuts instead of the bend tabs we see in most engines. Good parts are getting bagged, tagged and the preservation continues.

P6292908.JPGP6292897.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine 3 is a RCEME https://rcemecorpsgemrc.ca/ rebuild from 1969 and the half circle molded in the pan sludge gave away the problems. These guys had a great reputation for quality rebuilds so it's curious why we couldn't find the nuts to the bolts that were supposed to hold the bearing on. DId a nut fall off?

P6292887.JPGP6292884.JPG P6292885.JPGP6292886.JPGP6292918.JPGP6292916.JPGP6292917.JPGP6212647.JPGP6292901.JPG

This bolt looks like it might have been scratching itself for a while with half its head missing. I've never blown an engine so if any of you have experience.......does it keep running? What does it sound like. I'll hit youtube.

P6292904.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Engine 3 is a RCEME https://rcemecorpsgemrc.ca/ rebuild from 1969 and the half circle molded in the pan sludge gave away the problems. These guys had a great reputation for quality rebuilds so it's curious why we couldn't find the nuts to the bolts that were supposed to hold the bearing on. DId a nut fall off?

View attachment 871938View attachment 871943 View attachment 871941View attachment 871939View attachment 871934View attachment 871935View attachment 871936View attachment 871942View attachment 871940

This bolt looks like it might have been scratching itself for a while with half its head missing. I've never blown an engine so if any of you have experience.......does it keep running? What does it sound like. I'll hit youtube.

View attachment 871937
Some give up slowly, other engines go away with a hard loud "thump" and it stops dead (literally). I have had a piston rod look like somebody reached in and grabbed a handful of metal - snatched it out through the oil pan - and the motor kept running.

Last edited:

1944mb

Some give up slowly, other engines go away with a hard loud "thump" and it stops dead (literally). I have had a poston rod look like somebody reached in and grabbed a handful of metal - snatched it out through the oil pan - and the motor kept running.

View attachment 871938View attachment 871943 View attachment 871941View attachment 871939View attachment 871934View attachment 871935View attachment 871936View attachment 871942View attachment 871940

View attachment 871937
so basically you lost your nuts??! would i be able to con you out of 3 sets of rod bolts??

rustystud

View attachment 871937
With the rod off the crank like that you would lose oil pressure immediately. Then other parts would start to seize. Either your engine would just slow down and seize or blow a few rods through the block. Seen it both ways. This engine will have severe wear on all parts. Be careful what you save on this one. Can have hidden damage due to stress.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks