• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

gentrysgarage

Sweet gentry, now for the drive home!! I'm of course assuming you are loaded in the midwest?
No I contracted it out in the end, it is the first one not to flake. Load out was at 10:30pm last night in Great Bend KS with the assist of the halftrack...sad I missed my ride in one! Thanks goes to Kevin Lockwood and crew!

1944mb

Put 24volts to where I thought there would be a pump, but now I realize why no pumpy. No pump! Gonna change the whole fuel tank from the 207. The pump in it turns on, and the tank is cleaner than this one

Attachments

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put 24volts to where I thought there would be a pump, but now I realize why no pumpy. No pump! Gonna change the whole fuel tank from the 207. The pump in it turns on, and the tank is cleaner than this one
No pump-----no pump, it bothers me to see 24 volts going into a fuel tank. I guess no different than all these pumps in the tanks now. I won't even try to apply voltage on my tank. I bet it is a mess, like yours. There will be an external pump. Years ago I was working on a large helicopter with the fuel sell open, power was on the ship, had the fuel sensor in my hand and it started to burn, I shoved it back in the tank to put the fire out, scared the **** out of me. That pump power was 115volts AC 400 cycle. Lived thru that one.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ben

Let me know how much of a job it is to pull that tank. Would probably need some support of some kind underneath it, like a transmission jack. Will probably wait on mine till I can get it running and get it in my shop so I can use my concrete bound forklift.

1944mb

Finally made some truck time!!

Its been a little out of control summer, so I havent had a free moment to work on the truck! We had put water in the cooling system back in july cause I didn't have an antifreeze at 2am when Paul and I went to start it. Should I have let this slip by and ruin the drivetrain over winter I knew the g749 child protective services would come down hard on me, so I was fresh out of excuses, had to get her working. Of course some m@#$n had to cut the original fuel pump connectors, so I had to jimmy, the jimmy.
IMG_3646.jpgIMG_3647.jpg
First I needed to swap the fuel pump for the M207 over to the 211. Man that Canadian truck had a super clean tank, gaskets, and the works on it, so it would've made more sense to swap tanks, but due to time constraints I just swapped pumps. Got the carb dialed in and running pretty good. Now she can move under her own power! Have all forward and reverse gears high and low. What a blast to drive!
https://youtu.be/iisSGhjYQAM
https://youtu.be/RCLe-pWl6Bg
Next up the old dog wasn't charging. Checked and had power to the regulator. Looking over the schematic I noticed there were two wiring configurations and seeing as how we swapped harnesses over I started suspecting there was maybe two different regulators. Checking the M207, its regulator was a different number than the M211 I swapped over regulator and there you have it a charging M211!
https://youtu.be/kBBcaIvdlp4

Up next I would like to get check the tranny pressures over, maybe totally change the oil and do the brakes. Sure am happy to have her up and running! Also does anyone know the part number for the hose that goes from the air compressor regulator to the firewall? ?Mine is leaking and havent been able to find a number!! IMG_3661.jpg

Another Ahab

Years ago I was working on a large helicopter with the fuel sell open, power was on the ship, had the fuel sensor in my hand and it started to burn, I shoved it back in the tank to put the fire out, scared the **** out of me. That pump power was 115volts AC 400 cycle. Lived thru that one.
The ones like that, that you live through (unscathed), are good. :beer:

1944mb

Decided I needed to start using this truck, shes no trailer queen so to speak.... Started feeding hay off of it. In Montana(and other places I'm sure), most old time ranchers would shift their truck to low range, put it in granny and jump out, then jump in back while the truck rolled along, and fed there critters. This way they didn't have to climb in and out, and the hay got spread out for the animals to eat...This is whats going on here.
https://youtu.be/AY6IZyY-PLU
https://youtu.be/ooqmzjtv5aI
Nowadays technology has changed some and ranchers don't perform that practice as much. Seeing as how this truck is a 52, I'm grandfathered in....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trucks will revolt if they see this. I can just hear them "The 211's driving around, why not us?"........ "Load something in me, I'll carry it"...... "Fraid' of the cold Dave?" ...."I'm moving to Montana"

It's so good to see an Early Deuce moving. Sounds like you need a muffler...lol.

I thought I knew how to cold start Goose until a 26 year Veteran jumped in.

1) Place left Hand on choke.....do not close....just yet. Foot on throttle with a small input once the key is on and only small inputs....or none.......as it begins to turn over. Small amounts of fuel and choked air seems to work every time.
2) Key on........I work fast once key is on because too much fuel can also be a problem if the float is hanging up.
3) Pull starter lever to engage starter....allow the engine to roll over a few revolutions...and at the 3rd or so revolution, pull full choke, continuing to roll starter.

I'm sure I read 30 seconds of starter roll time on the 302 but there should be a chart that diminishes roll time as the temperature drops. Rolling the starter for even 10 seconds at -20 is a lot different then rolling it at temps just below freezing. --- even 10 seconds feels like too long when it's real stiff.

In the past I'd do the typical Chevy throttle stomp to get them started and keep them running.....lots of on off action on the throttle......but if things are right....very little throttle input is needed.

Super happy to see another one working, just saw pics of the M135 Goat team hauling logs with his so that's just a great result from some real hard work put in by you guys.....and the girls. Great to see.

Last edited:

1944mb

I have to honestly say the more I use the m211 the more I can appreciate it. Here in the states, everyone has the opinion it's diesel or go home. I own a m35 myself. But I have to say in a colder weather climate, gotta love gas. We've spent a fair amount of time below zero this year and by using it everyday to feed critters and not having a block heater a gas truck has been way easier to manage. A few days I started it well below zero(-15--25f)(yes against my conscience). My plan is to get a block heater in it, amongst many other things. For now we decided to take in a hockey game to celebrate winter. With work I've had zero time to work on it..but we're headed into a chinook :)

Attachments

1944mb

m1010plowboy;1) Place left Hand on choke.....do not close....just yet. Foot on throttle with a small input once the key is on and only small inputs....or none.......as it begins to turn over. Small amounts of fuel and choked air seems to work every time. 2) Key on........I work fast once key is on because too much fuel can also be a problem if the float is hanging up. 3) Pull starter lever to engage starter....allow the engine to roll over a few revolutions...and at the 3rd or so revolution said:
Would definitely agree with the procedure. Unfortunately the video was to show how well it started in the cold...but starting one is kind of a two hand operation and I was trying to run the camera to. I've found the following...ignition on...immediately slight amount of fuel, and choke 3/4 above 0, and roll starter over at the same time. below zero full choke and get it off full choke immediately upon 1-2 second of crank time. Very little to no fuel input required. Even fairly cold mine likes no choke during accleration. So far mine has been very good starting in cold.

USMC 00-08

I think that explains why mine is so hard to start in the cold. Too much fuel. I'll have to try the method you guys that live in real cold use.

1944mb

You know if trucks could talk I'd say this m211 is goading the m35 on "...what's the problem, too cold for you to come out and play....better wait for warmer weather you sissy...."

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks