• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2010 Rally After Action Report

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We also plan to put the food in insulated containers and serve it from a table at ground level so folks won't have to negotiate the steps of the MKT and dodge hot ovens.
I personally thought climbing the stairs and going through the chow line on the MKT was fun and part of the "rally" experience. I realize it is probably difficult for some people to negotiate but I enjoyed it, chatting with the cooks, and seeing how the MKT operates.

I suggest some benches to go with the tables. Everybody has a chair somewhere, but not usually where you need it when chow time comes.

mckeeranger

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that made this such a great event. From the planners, to the people that brought their trucks, and the vendors. Everyone did a great job.

Recommendations:

It was awesome. The site, the trails, the management and the staff. It was all good.
Sustain

MKT
Same as above. It was awesome to not have to bring stuff to cook or eat. The food was great, the cooks were great, and the atmosphere was great.
Sustain

Pre-event communication
It was great. The way it was broken down by information, items for sale/trade, etc. worked very well. And the way Clinto kept the updated information on the first post of the thread was great. All I had to do was check that post for the latest and greatest. With this thread and the multimedia thread, it continues to be efficient and informative.
Sustain

Event communication
I think the idea of a command post, and a bulletin board with trail times, the menus and prices are a great idea. I think too many meetings, or mandatory meetings would take away from the open, flexible schedule, and laid back atmosphere that made this such a great event.
Minor improvement

Sanitation
There could have been a couple more blue Tupperware Toilets in the lower end, below the M109 area. It would have been nice to have some hand washing stations, and some water at the lower end as well. Next year I could bring a water buffalo to park near the Tupperware Toilets near the shooting ranges, if you think it would help. Just keep in mind, wherever you park one, it's going to get a little muddy around it.
Improvement

Safety
I think this has been well covered by previous posts, but I wanted to say a couple of things about it. While we might like to think this was "our" field, it's all part of the Durhamtown Plantation, and it's really up to them who can travel through it. I think it would be hard for them to close the road to the shooting ranges, just for us. It was the opening of hunting season, and people were wanting to fire a few rounds for practise, and to adjust their sights/scopes. There were a few of the MVs traveling a little to fast through the vendor areas, and around so many kids.
Perhaps the answer is to simply ask the DP folks to put up a few of the "Idle Speed Only" signs they have in other areas of the park.
Improvement

All in all, it was a great event, and it's hard to come up with improvement suggestions. I'm just sorry I had to drive a pickup instead of the deuce, and sorry I had to leave on Friday. Next year, neither will be the case. The Deuce is now purring like a really big kitten, and I"m going to put in my vacation request on Jan 1, 2011.

I'm looking forward to it. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, it's election season. Election season brings about a surplus of...........yard signs. The little ones with the wire holders like used for garage sales. Help clean up your area after the elections and collect some of these for next years rally. Take em home and shoot them with some white or OD spray paint. We can stencil what wording we need and post them.

Blythewoodjoe

PA system:

I was not at last years event and didn't know you guys had a PA system. My 16 mm projector has a PA system in it. I could have provided that since I had the projector with me. I will bring it next year for primary PA or back up if a more practical one is available. Back up plans are always good at a not for profit volunteer run event.
Improvement.

Check in gate:

I for one will volunteer for a half day no problem. I can always find things to do while manning the gate, like reading up on a repair I need to do, and that would be a great way to meet people. I think it would be convenient to locate the command tent near the gate so one person could easily walk between them with out deserting his post. Some jobs require so little time, it's always best to combine them when possible. The gate keeper could man the bulletin board and program any sign we might have while the gate is slow.
Improvement.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about an award for the best screw up?

I was telling some friends about the GA rally today and have shared some pictures. The pictures of sirmrtow driving up the tree were particularly funny.

One of my friends suggested an award for the most spectacular screw up. Gimpy's turning his deuce over would be a good one too. The winner has to keep it until the next winning screw up. We could do it each day of the event so there are more opportunities for it to be passed off.

Monica

If we're talking awards, how about an award for the most out of the way, odd-ball rescue / recovery / bail-out. We had a number of trucks go down before, and during the drive in, and at the very least, a "Hat's off" to each would be nice.

To make the management of that easier, I'd suggest the Rescue be charged with writing up something, commendation card, etc., at the command tent. Saves the organizers from having to run around and collect data.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know some of the guys scouted trails before the event. On two different outings, we ended up driving out of a bike trail to find camp. Maybe we could work with Mike to label the trails a bit better.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see an opportunity for some group pictures, especially of the MKT crew, since most have their special aprons now (last six are in the works - to be delivered by mail). We may not have a large area to get everyone into, but with an overhead platform of some sort (12-15 ft up) to stand on, we can get over 100 into a picture with ease.

Improvement

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some of the guys scouted trails before the event. On two different outings, we ended up driving out of a bike trail to find camp. Maybe we could work with Mike to label the trails a bit better.

Yeah, and at least one of those times was after dark in 4th-Hi. Woohoo! What a ride back in.

:)

sw

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see an opportunity for some group pictures, especially of the MKT crew, since most have their special aprons now (last six are in the works - to be delivered by mail). We may not have a large area to get everyone into, but with an overhead platform of some sort (12-15 ft up) to stand on, we can get over 100 into a picture with ease.

Improvement
No reason that couldn't be done, there had to be a dozen shop vans to stand on!

Yeah, and at least one of those times was after dark in 4th-Hi. Woohoo! What a ride back in.

:)

sw
I was bustin arse trying to keep up but the red cloud of dust was to much to bear. JW4x4 was smarter, he just stayed behind until the red cloud settled. That was a fun ride doing some technical stuff after midnight!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Clint and I discussed getting an overhead picture from an aircraft of the field site.

Next year.

Alternate plan is we are tying Wreckerman to a helium filled weather ballon with a camera in hand. :D

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Clint and I discussed getting an overhead picture. We are tying Wreckerman to a helium filled weather ballon with a camera in hand. :D

I'd advise extreme caution!!!:shock:

WM is known for throwing horrible things at folks!!!:cookoo:
Make sure ya don't feed him before ya send him up!!:shock:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

Improvement
I have been thinking about this... With the bucket attachment I can put a camera operator 35' up.

Maybe we could schedule a group shot foe Saturday afternoon? I am thinking along the outside of "our" fence.

GoldComet6

First off...I enjoyed the show a lot. I appreciate the efforts of all those who put it together and took the time to plan and execute it. You spent your time working to make things more fun for others. I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing more nice trucks. The trial ride was a lot of fun!

As a first timer to the GA rally, here are a few of my thoughts:

1) How about at a certain time for having a picture taking session? You can get a picture taken of you and your truck. Post them here so it would help folks match the truck and owner. Or maybe a volunteer could take them of the owner/trucks where they are parked. Yes...I know it would be a lot of work.

2) I support the CP idea with a dry erase board with info.

3) Agreed - planned trail rides are a good idea. Say morning, afternoon and evening at a specific time - plus or minus a few minutes. Perhaps have one person be the lead truck for one run per day? I went on a trail ride and was thinking I was in the group going on a drive through town. Didn't matter...I just wanted to ride along regardless of the route taken.

4) Yes - some more signs would be helpful.

phil2968

I could get my brother that lives 20 miles up Hwy 77 and is also a pilot to take me up Sat afternoon and get a few shots. He has his own plane so I think we could pull it off.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was bustin arse trying to keep up but the red cloud of dust was to much to bear. JW4x4 was smarter, he just stayed behind until the red cloud settled. That was a fun ride doing some technical stuff after midnight!
Kenny, that time I had DH with me. SW was during the day. I tend to act up when no one is looking. I guess that makes you a no-body!

aua:beer:h

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks