• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA Registration Help!- New Deuce Owner

Greetings and thanks for all the great info on SS!

I am recovering my first Deuce on Thursday from Warner Robins and driving her home to Douglasville, GA. The tag/title/registration process for GA has me baffled.

First, I can't figure out any way to get a temporary tag to drive it home. Does anyone know how to get a temp tag if you purchase a vehicle from a private seller in GA (i.e. not a dealership- GL). Do I just drive it home without any sort of tag and carry my proof of insurance and paid-in-full invoice with me? Is that legal if I get pulled over?

Per my Douglas County GA tag office, if I intend to title my vehicle, I have to do it at the same time as I register it. Obviously I won't have the SF-97 form, can't even apply for it until after I've recovered my deuce.

You have to register the vehicle at the county tag office to get a tag. You have 30 days to register the vehicle in GA after purchase. If I wait for the SF-97 I'll have to pay a fine for being late on my registration.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully accepted! Look forward to the rally in Oct.

Last edited:

papercu

Welcome Ga is one of the easy states. No need for temporary tags (most of the time) just insurance and bill of sale. Tell your local tag office that is a 1985 or earlier, GA doesn't require a title for anything that old. If you want to wait for a SF97 they may charge you extra but I've have told mine that I was working on it and they didn't charge me. Wayne

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is no temporary tag in Ga. Since Ga. gives you 30 days from the time you purchase a vehicle to tag it, they chose not to offer temporary tags. The exception to this is for dealers-used and I think new car dealers can obtain temp. tags. We can't. So for driving a deuce home, your paperwork from GL showing that you picked it up that day and a valid insurance card is probably as good as you can get. I don't know if it's legal if you get pulled over (I"ve looked in the code and I can't find info one way or another) but that's what I have always done-take my insurance and all GL paperwork and if I got pulled over, explain to the LEO that there is a lag in between the sale date and the pickup date for Govt. surplus. Along with insurance.

I can't remember what I did about the late fee-I have titled two and I think clinto g/f has titled 2, all in Ga. I will have to ask her if she remembers what the tag office charged her.

Looking forward to meeting you in October!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
GA doesn't require a title for anything that old. If you want to wait for a SF97 they may charge you extra but I've have told mine that I was working on it and they didn't charge me. Wayne
I have always gotten that from tag offices with all my old stuff, but they've always sent the paperwork to me eventually.

I've always wanted a title for my stuff-what do you do if you sell it to someone in a state that requires a title?

All my stuff currently has a title-both Deuces, the '69 Plymouth, the '55 M38A1, etc.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I buy vehicles from the State of Georgia they have always offered me a temp tag. Wayne
I've never bought anything directly from the state (vehicles at least). No experience in that area.

Have you been able to get a temporary tag for vehicles purchased either from private sellers or GL?

papercu

I've always wanted a title for my stuff-what do you do if you sell it to someone in a state that requires a title?
It's always been my understanding (I read it somewhere) that as long as you had a valid registration in a no title state like Ga and moved or sold it to someone in another state, the other state had to accept that and then they would issue you a title if needed. Wayne

Thanks guys! You've put my mind at ease. Now to focus on the recovery. I'll post pics and update. My wife is following me to WR and back. I had to add one more interesting element to the whole experience! Either everything will go smoothly or I may be looking for a sofa to sleep on for a week. :razz:

papercu

Have you been able to get a temporary tag for vehicles purchased either from private sellers or GL?
There would be no way a private seller could give you one, G/L if they are a car dealer should give you one, but I've bought in GA and FL from them and never got one. Wayne

zout

My friend with him M109A3 - went to the tag office with a notorized bill of sale and (hope I do not get this wrong) must have asked to title it. He was told it would have to get inspected as it had never been titled before.

He is waiting for his title and is due any day from Mississippi - guy we bought them from.
My title on the other hand showed up last week - so here this coming mon will be taking mine in for plates - Hope I am not wrong in getting Antique plate for $20.00 - can keep it in the glove box I hear. But do not know it that allows driving it only at certain times ?

papercu

He was told it would have to get inspected
They may be talking about seeing the VIN. If you have the truck with you somebody from the office will go look at it, if not they will give you a paper for a LEO to sign saying he has seen it. The tag would be good for driving at any time but I don't know about carrying it in the glove box. I have carried mine in the seat, but that was just because I'm lazy. Wayne

poppop

Every truck I have bought from the Government the tag office has required a form T-22b, which is a Vin verification by any Police Officer. They have the forms at the tag office or you can download them from online. Take that in and a bill of sale and you should be able to get a tag.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks