• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gabriel Front Shock Number - M35A2

oddshot

I replaced my front shocks today with the Monroe's that everybody seems to be using. No probs with the installation.

I found some part numbers on the old set. The shocks were Gabriels. The stamping reads (from top to bottom):

Gabriel of Canada
Made in Canada

T8071

The P/O of the truck bought it from GL in Texas. He never replaced the shocks. This truck had been re conditioned in 1990 and I assume that the government installed these at that time.

I did a search and could only find one reference to Gabriel Shocks ... Hope this helps somebody out.

oddshot

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to answer for Oddshot, but when I replaced my A2 shocks, I used Monroe 34787 shocks, which are sold at NAPA under 76787. They were a perfect fit with 1/2 inch studs. I know others swear that Monroe 66903 is better, but the 66903 only has 3/8 inch studs whereas the military shocks are 1/2 inch studs. The Monroe 34787 shocks made the deuce ride much better and my front tire wear improved significantly. When I decided to buy new shocks, I heard that Monroe was the way to go, but I didn't have a clue which ones to buy. I called Monroe's technical assistance number and asked if they knew what shocks went on an M35A2. They gave me the Monroe and NAPA numbers. I painted the yellow Monroe shocks OD and they look 100% original.

JOEDEUCE

I have a vibration at 55 , I installed new tires and the steering is tight. I know I need shocks. Do y'all think that shocks could cure this issue?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a vibration at 55 , I installed new tires and the steering is tight. I know I need shocks. Do y'all think that shocks could cure this issue?
I'm not sure, but it is likely that the truck needs shocks anyway and they aren't that expensive. I never take my A2 over 52. Running at 50 - 52 is the sweet spot - any faster and it just doesn't feel right. These trucks are over 40 years old but very dependable if driven easy.

JOEDEUCE

Since you brought up mph, I took my deuce for a good run this weekend and she feels fine at 53 mph, at 54 you begin to notice a ever so slight vibration start, at 55 its in full vibration..its amazing what a 2mph increase makes.. I'm good with going 53, I just would like it be more stable at 55-60 mph, for those rare occasions where its absolutely neccessary. Thanks for help :beer:

Heavysteven

I would check the shaft between the transmission and transfer. Those bolts have a tendency for coming loose.

Going to go replace my shocks this weekend. Think I am going to leave they yellow.

mich6212

Debate about shocks

It is time for me to :deadhorse:, I mean replace my shocks on the Duece and I found that someone was not happy with the 34787's. He had this to say on Amazon:

"The shocks themselves seem to be a quality part, up to the standards of any Monroe products I've seen in the past. However, I bought these as a replacement for the front shocks on the M35A2 military 2.5 ton cargo truck (based on somebody else's recommendation) and they are about two inches too long for the application. You can get them on if you work at it but they will bottom out very easily. The Monroe 66903 is a better fit"

After looking again I found the dimensions listed are as follows:
34787-Length is 23.10 inches, and 66903 Length is 23.25 inches, :shock: so I am not sure what this guy is talking about until I looked at Monroe website specs and they state the 66903 length as 21.75 inches and the 34787 is 23.25 inches but they both provide 9 inches of travel.

I was thinking about going with the 34787 simply for the 1/2 thread diameter on the stems. I also have the 14.5 A3 wheel and tire set up on my A2 so I do not know how much travel I have but think it would be less than stock so bottoming out would be a non issue. Stay tuned for a poll to decide my fate. It is found here-http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/95856-shock-poll.html

Last edited:

treeguy

I have been doing a little checking around regarding shocks for the rear of my bobber. She rides like a front end loader (no bed and 395 tires, still playing with air pressures). I used a front suspension system to mount the axle and retained the bottom plate with the shock mount. My thoughts regarding the 1/2" diameter studs: The holes in the shock mounts are a hair over 1/2" diameter, the front deuce studs are about 0.438" in diameter. What I am thinking is that the larger (ish) play is to allow flex off the resting angle of the shock as the leaf springs compress and relax in turn moving the axle back and forward. This changes the angle of the shocks stud going thru the mounting hole and in turn, if the hole was tight to the stud, the stud would bind and bend, eventually snaping off. I'm thinking that the Monroe shocks with the proper length and the 3/8" diameter studs might be the better option. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

schnackj

I put the 34787 in this weekend and they were easy to get in. I took her out on some logging roads and I could definitely notice a change. I had to reuse the original rubber bushings though because the ones that came with the monroes were too big.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks