• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Steering column Assy

evnut

I've noticed a lot of M561 nos steering column assys for sale on ebay. I purchased one but the steering box mating end is different. My 1970 M561 used a yoke/universal joint set up, since the steering box shaft sticks straight up. All the vendors say no one else has complained. How is this possible? Even the 1970 parts manual shows the yoke on the end of the shaft. Can anyone shed some light on the problem?

m38inmaine

The manual shows part numbers for 2 different styles of steering column assemblies. One style uses the u joint at the bottom like you have and the other uses a cv joint with a grease filled boot like a car axle shaft. I have the cv style and the new columns advertised worked on mine. I do not know which is earlier or later or if they were mixed, the steering boxes are all the same. My parts manual is dated 1985 an updated copy from 1976. CV style far left, u-joint style far right.

Update: U joint style should have a u-joint yoke welded to the end of the shaft, PN 12255169 NSN 2530-01-029-7820. The CV joint style as what is seen on Ebay for sale has a internal splined clamp welded at the bottom, PN 12259364 NSN 2530-01-060-0966.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

NSN 2520-01-047-5415
P/N 12259365
Internet stock shows flmv.net has 20 in stock, TNJMurray.com has 300. Please report back with price and availability if they have them.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site. If they are new, and I needed one, I would endeavour to modify and fit it. Mine has a U.J. Our spare one does not.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks