• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat -yes or no???

Joe Gamma

In the past twelve months I have probably put 200 miles on my Goat. Mostly it is rumbling around on side roads in Mass or in a event ect. It even pulls the Kraut howitzer we have at the American Legion in parades.

The Pro's are nobody can walk past it, It is unique and pretty fun to drive when your used to it and and with the 3-53 detroit it had the torque to pull the balls off a brass monkey. If you enjoy working on vehicles there is always somthing to do on it and last but not least "Who has a floating truck". Mine stops fine.

The Cons are you will have to work on it a bit and it can be awkward to work on. Its loud but in my case the govenor was set all the way out so I drive the goat at thrity five and don't really notice it more than any other truck. I f you like driving vehicles and not fixing them then well there is always somthing you can do on it and it floats like an inner city kid with a paddleboard. Mine stops fine for a gamma goat..you and me may not have the same "stopping standards"

It certainly can be the show piece in a collection but you will earn it.

Good luck and hope it works out..

Joe C

phil2968

Hello Patracy,

Since you still own one, and you are not THAT far from me, may I get a ride in yours some day?
I would like to at least get a ride in one, even if I cannot ever get one myself.
Almost sure there will be at least one goat at the Ga Rally. If Patracy doesn't bring his I'm sure Joe will have his there, unless he sold it. You should come down Jay with your CUCV.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
yes it is,I went and drove 700 miles today and bought a goat.I got home about an hour ago ,and have been playing with it ever since.Thanks for everyones opinions,I love it already.Heras some pics.I will get some more tommorrow.It has a good title too.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was never a fan of the gama goats. They looks stupid, they run stupid and they sound stupid. The engine is so loud right next to you you can't hear yourself think, the heater has two settings - off and broil, and the pump has to run like **** to keep it afloat. Just my opinions, but if I want a 6x6, I'll get a deuce. If I want an amphibious vehicle, I'll get an M76 Otter. If I want BOTH, I'll get a Stalwart.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
They are loud as ****,I always wanted one because they are different.I like it and thats all that matters.

Gamagoat1

If you want a vehicle that you don't have to work on buy a little red wagon.
The Goat will put any HUMV to shame any time.
A little common sense when using it, not popping wheelees and jacking up the Gov. to go 70 mph and you'll never break a U-joint.
If you don't understand mechanics 101 then do not buy a Goat.
I've hade mine 20 years and have put too many miles on it to discuss here. It has never let me down. Ok once, when I left the lights on.

By the way Joe Gamma, It's a Gama Goat, one M.....................
It's kinda like CUMMINS Not CUMMINGS or
WINCH not WENCH

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always got a kick out of people selling their 4x4s and advertising that it comes with a 10,000-lb wench. I reply, "are you that anxious to sell your wife with the truck?"

Mojo23

Goats in the 82D

I was in the 82D Airborne Division from 1974-1977 where the Goat was our primary light cargo vehicle. Most of the maintenance bugs were worked out by this time so the Readiness Availably was never a big problem.

As an Engineer Platoon Leader each squad had one along with one in the HQ section. Each pulled a 3/4T cargo trailer. I also had a Jeep and 2 1/2T dump truck both with trailers. At the squad level our engineer and personal equipment filled up the cargo box of the Goat and trailer. Eight of the ten man squad had to sit quite high on top of the gear and were in danger of falling off if the driver was not careful.

The cross country mobility on mud, swamp, sand etc. was superior to anything wheeled that went before or has come after. Never seen one stuck.

It was rare that we had a mission that required crossing open water. They were slow, dangerous and occasionally would sink but what other vehicle can do this. Bottom line if you had to swim them they would work. Very valuable capability.

The 2406 availability was probably about average compared to all the other types of rolling stock that we had. There was some parts that were difficult to acquire. I remember that one of ours was down forever because of a steering column. But other than that we got most of what we needed in a reasonable time frame.

My biggest complaint was the noise. I find it hard to believe that we would buy this for tactical units with this engine. When going cross country the engine produced an unmistakable distinct pulsating “whine”. There was no doubt that the noise over the hill was produced by a Goat.

spicergear

That aluminum Detroit bellowing all that noise was to make the enemy think a whole convoy was headed their way! I like that they're different looking, and will do a decent road speed.

Nice grab John!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen John's goat and it is in very good condition.

It's the kind of find you smile big time about! :grin: :beer:

MarcusOReallyus

IMHO it was designed by an idiot after consulting with a moron.

I have to differ with you. The Gama Goat was designed carefully for the intended use - reliably transporting materials in a combat environment.

The proof of the soundness of the design is found in it's reputation and longevity. The military doesn't keep vehicles in its lineup unless they do the job reliably, year after year.

Oh, wait....

Never mind!

:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks