• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gamma goat only goes Thirty Miles an hour..

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No doubt that a goat is faster than people think they would be. I made this video on the way home from the Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally a few weeks ago...

Gama Goat Cruising at 60 MPH - YouTube

This one too...
M561 Gama Goat 0 - 60 MPH - YouTube

I hit a slight uphill grade on the last one and couldn't quite make it to 60...
Yep, thanks for sharing those videos! Brings back old memories... (good ones driving the 'Goat)... :-D

I remember "snatching" 2nd and 3rd and the front end would jump up like it was ready to do a "wheelie"...

That three cylinder Detroit diesel was a good match for the 'Goat...

Joe Gamma

I took it out today again and rumbled around (Goats dont drive they rumble says my nephew). It hits all the gear speeds perfectly but just tops at 40-42...It also looses power at 40 when it hits hills ect suggesting thats simply all the power it has...I will check the Air filter theroughly tommorrow. I am slightly suspicious of the throttle linkage ( Though I do not think its the power problem)because after say ten miles it likes to stick as far as enginge reves, not acceleration when the engine heats up. I open the box and if I manually pull the linkage it comes back...some how heat is affecting it and it sticks.

Ofcourse today was a blast and when you hit the gears in a gamma goat as you pull out it just feels so sweet...

Goat!

Joe Gamma

Yep, thanks for sharing those videos! Brings back old memories... (good ones driving the 'Goat)... :-D

I remember "snatching" 2nd and 3rd and the front end would jump up like it was ready to do a "wheelie"...

That three cylinder Detroit diesel was a good match for the 'Goat...
They were cool videos and once again guys thanks for your great input. Loooking at your video my goat just suddenly looses its ass about 40, so the Govenor linkage may indeed be suspect as well..

Joe

SFGABN@5th

Remember there are fuel filters in the tanks aon the end of the pick up tubs I worked on these while in the 82nd airborn back in the early 80,s if that two strock deasel isent screaming at you than its a fuel issue. Check your linkage they often would get streched. but it shoudl do 55 no problem.

Kevin

Joe Gamma

You are probable right, I guess im thinking of the M151,s we had to put are arms in the tanks.
Old age setting in.
Whew you just saved me a ton of work I was ready to strip the tanks......

I broke down the air filter and it was indeed clean so I might daringly adjust the govenor. I think i might just bring it to a diesel guy since I have the mechanical ability of Anne Frank

Joe

Last edited:

Joe Gamma

before I hack through the books does anyone know off hand what oil filter and Oil the goat takes it was low today and so black i figures I'd just change the whole thing...

Joe

Stalwart

I forgot the filter number but REMEMBER it is a 2 stroke Detroit, there are VERY few oils left that meet the spec for these engines. Chevron's Delo 100 40 weight is one of the few. NOT Delo 400! NOT 15w-40 multi weight of some other brand. Shell Rotella 40T is borderline for ash content.

So find yourself a straight weight 40 with an sulphated ash content below 1.0% (lower is better).

onegmjack

Has the vaules been adjusted in a while? I had a 253 the injectors open with push rod from the cam,I may be wrong but I think the 353 is similar.Instead of having injection pump.I read that they have twice the power of a diesel engine twice their size.Mine had a mechical fuel pump that pumped 60 psi mine ran sluggish,had set for a few years.A diesel mech. told me that i would need special tool to rebuild it.I had nothing to lose so I took it apart,found the seals dried out,bought the seal repaced them it ran find.If it was mine I would start by checking the fuel pressure,then go from there.I was going to say check for blow by,but on the two stroke diesel the blower pushes air on the up stroke.Been a few year since I had mine.Maybe one of the others can chime in,that have work on them more.

spicergear

Another thing you may be able to try is 'shorting' the injectors. Pull the head pan off and start the engine. You'll see that each injector has its own rocker arm. Hold down on one rocker arm at a time and see if the engine limps or not. If the engine doesn't really respond then you may have a poor injector that needs to be pulled and cleaned. I've SEEN this done on 8v's but have not done it. I HAVE pulled injectors and rebuilt them. If you do them one at a time and put it all back in then move to the next you can get away with not resetting the rack...if you pay attention.

Attachments

spicergear

The piece at the lower center of the pic in the middle of my palm is what gets hooked into the linkage in the head and part of the 'Rack.' The small piece extending out of the other side of the injector, if you look closely, you can just see like a gear too aiming up on it. That is the same part and has teeth on it like a rack and pinion steering set up. There is a small gear inside the injector housing that gets turned when the rack is pulled on via linkage to accelerator pedal and as the small gear turns it allows more or less fuel into the plunger section of the injector (which is under like 60psi line pressure) then the rocker arm compresses the injector/plunger and you get an atomized spray out of the tip of the injector. I know on my near 400hp 8V71 injectors, the spray was a 6 hole pattern and the holes in the injector tip were barely visible!

Joe Gamma

Well I just gave it one heck of a test driving it from Norton to Middleboro along a major highway. I just rumbled down the breakdown lane for thirty miles and now my goat is safely nesstled at my house.

I fixed the linkage problem because I sprayed everything with a health dose of WD 40 and it simply did not stick when it warmed up like before.

Engine simply still taped ou between 35 to 40 depending wether you were going up a hill. Starting to lean towards throttle and then govenor adjustment. I still feel its top end speed though is the prob...Next step is to have a diesel guy look at it ...(detroit guy)

I'll have him check out the injectors..

Joe

Last edited:

Jericho

goat is slow to get down the road

actually the transfer case was produced in Great Britian, and was used in Bedford Army trucks as well, sounds like fuel delivery, ck filters and they are prone to suckin air any where between the tank and the rack, spray a little wd 40 or ether ( caution flammable) at joints look for increase or stabil rpm. fuel supply line likes to crack and suck air at the bottom of the loop in the secondary to primary line.

Jericho

just a thought, do you here the supercharger kick in, you should hear a woooo sound as it kicks in , my goat maxes out at 57 mph, had it up to 61 goin down hill behind a logging truck, runs great, handles like a dream

Jericho

The best solution for the oil filter is to goggle Detroit diesel 353 spin on oil filter kit , or google the P/N i bought the spin on filter kit brand new for $85.00 o ebay, used the Detroit P/N to find it, detroit still sells it but it over $300.00. I have used Rotella for years , Air Force had a few and used Rotella purchased locally with no adverse effects, make sure you carry a gallon, the detroit will not use any oil for a few weeks and then suddenly be down a gallon, they all leak a little on the pan gasket. Great truck and easy as pie to work on! dead simple compared to Air craft have a good goatin day!:grd:

Joe Gamma

Well I think I solved the problem......This weekend at a convention a couple of my buddies from the army asked me how I could tolerate the goat with it being so loud. My Goat is kinda laud but tolerable. Knowings its goverend by RPMs I threw it out to a woman who used to work on 353's in the wing generator shop who said it is probably the governor, and the previous owners probably backed it out becausef it was used off road mostly so no one would kill them selves. Told me how to adjust it..

Now it races like a demon...gotta figure out how to adjust it properly but it seems like the ticket...

Whew!!

Joe

Last edited:

m561gamagoat

Governor

Well I think I solved the problem......This weekend at a convention a couple of my buddies from the army asked me how I could tolerate the goat with it being so loud. My Goat is kinda laud but tolerable. Knowings its goverend by RPMs I threw it out to a woman who used to work on 353's in the wing generator shop who said it is probably the governor, and the previous owners probably backed it out becausef it was used off road mostly so no one would kill them selves. Told me how to adjust it..

Now it races like a demon...gotta figure out how to adjust it properly but it seems like the ticket...

Whew!!

Joe
What is the governor adjustment procedure ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks