• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gap between window and cab

RaggedyMan

The windows don't seal up very well at all when the doors are closed. Is this just the "nature of the beast", is there something I can adjust? I thought maybe new window seals on the cab (The rubber is hard but it looks like it's all there) and/or the seals along where the window slides itself might "re position" the glass to it's correct alignment. I'm working on putting a heater in but with gaps like this I could just run the exhaust through the cab for heat and never worry about suffocating.

The psgr window has a gap along the top and the driver side gap runs vertical.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

I think most of them don't seal well. If the window channels don't help you might look at some automotive weather seals. You can buy generic seal material from JC Whitney or other such places. I have the same problem.

steelandcanvas

Do you have a hard top or soft top? With a soft top you can loosen the big wing nuts on the windshield while Soldier B pushes the top of the windshield outwards. This procedure helped me close some of the gaps between the cab and door glass. Hope this helps you.

RaggedyMan

Do you have a hard top or soft top? With a soft top you can loosen the big wing nuts on the windshield while Soldier B pushes the top of the windshield outwards. This procedure helped me close some of the gaps between the cab and door glass. Hope this helps you.
I didn't think of that when posting but I took the pictures like that to be able to see clearly the gap left between the glass and top, it's a hard top. I looked at it again this afternoon thinking maybe the cab was out of kilter or something simple. I could be wrong but it seems to me the panel gaps, etc don't quite fit together the way my BMW does. :mrgreen:

Crawdaddy

I just recently noticed I have this exact issue on my drivers door. I haven't had time to investigate further why the window seems to start leaning towards the back of the truck as I roll it up more.

RaggedyMan

I'm going to order the seals and felts for the door and window, I will report back but I have a refrigerator box full of stuff I haven't installed yet (Ok, it's not that big.) but I'll be ordering soon.

Rmtaunton

ya need door seals and ill bet ten to 1 that the middle of your hard top is bent down , (most are from standing or sitting on roof) that bend will force the ends of the top up.

The fix:

get your self a 4x4 about three feet long and put across the seats place bottle jack on it. cut two by four to length just shy of roof to slide in another two by four and jack slowly till it pops a few times,, then a couple more pumps to restrecth it in the right direction.

easy peezy, roof will be fixed and so will the corners by the windows

RaggedyMan

ya need door seals and ill bet ten to 1 that the middle of your hard top is bent down , (most are from standing or sitting on roof) that bend will force the ends of the top up.
Well I'll be doggone, you are exactly right. I've been wondering about that top, thought it odd it was shaped that way but just decided it's suppose to be bent like that. Now I'm really disappointed because it'll be next week before I can "play" with my toy.

JDToumanian

In addition to the advice already given, I would add that the window travel is adjustable. There are two little slotted angle brackets inside each door which set the travel limits. Just take the inside door access panel off, watch as you crank the window up and you'll see when it hits those stops how to adjust them. When I restored my deuce I put a NOS hard top on and all new channels and seals. My doors fit very well and my cab is not (nearly as) drafty.

Jon

Last edited:

Akicita

I also have gaps on both sides of the cab. The dealer who sold the truck to me (Kublo) replaced the badly dented hardtop with a ragtop because that's what I wanted. One of my buddies who had already had a Deuce for some time before I bought mine came along and told me not to worry about the gaps because there would be enough heat in the cab to make me roll down the windows even on a cold day. On the few longer trips I have taken, he was right.
I am more annoyed by rainwater spraying in from the front window when I drive than I am about those gaps on the roll-down windows. New seals and felts would solve that problem but I stay at home when it rains. : - )

Rmtaunton

I also have gaps on both sides of the cab. The dealer who sold the truck to me (Kublo) replaced the badly dented hardtop with a ragtop because that's what I wanted. One of my buddies who had already had a Deuce for some time before I bought mine came along and told me not to worry about the gaps because there would be enough heat in the cab to make me roll down the windows even on a cold day. On the few longer trips I have taken, he was right.
I am more annoyed by rainwater spraying in from the front window when I drive than I am about those gaps on the roll-down windows. New seals and felts would solve that problem but I stay at home when it rains. : - )

Most of the rain that bothered me was from the top seal as it goes in your face , for that tape off a gap about 1/2 inch on the top and use 100% silicone , (clean well first) it will solve the problem and is clear and....flewes more than enough to open winshield, for the rest either get new seals which still leak or get some wax paper as well your girlfriend or wife prob has some lol, tape it ont he winshields three remaning sides , use 100% silicone again around the inside frame ,slowly close windshield all the way but do not latch , remove the excess with paint thinner on paper towel , in the morning open window remove wax paper , and WAAAALAAA

NovacaineFix

along with the bottle jack and wood, I have found that these light duty ratcheting load locks or cargo locks work well for getting the dents out of a hard top. For as cheap as they are, it helps to have 2 or 3 to even out the load so you don't have to bang it out with a hammer or mallet.

I bought mine at Harbor Freight, but you can find them at several other places, even Home Depot and Lowe's has them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html

camoyj7

The hard tops are completely adjustable. I had the same gaps on the back of the window. Jdtoumanian pointed out that window travel is adjustable. I would adjust the door window to get gap at windshield correct first. Then loosen the bolts that hold hard top together and where in mounts to cab. Adjust the rear part of hard top so gaps are good at back of window. You don't have to crank bolts down till gasket pops out. I used nylock nuts on bolts so once I got it where I needed it my adjustment wouldn't change. Then adjust top half of the roof. The rubber seals around window are adjustable too. It's a pain to do but it's worth it in the end.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks