• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garage door size

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If building a pole barn, you should just shoot for the size that will fit a singled out 900 series. Sooner or later you'll regret it otherwise.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing less than 12 foot , but if building new you might just as well go 14 foot and have it over with . Then you won't be wishing you had a few more inches.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with all of the above , get the BIGGEST door you can , PLUS make the pole barn BIGGER than what you think you need , they do fill up fast . Try and get as much ceiling height as possiable 12' to 14' . Think about possiable future use . I would also put 2" foam board under the slab before you pour it . The hot set up around here is the 2" foam board and PEX tubeing for floor heat . nice in the winter . I use a Modine Hot DAWG 75000BTU ceiling heater in mine , but wish I had used the foam board . I would also add a big electrical service (200AMP) so you can run all the equipment you need to fix this green stuff ! It is easier to do this stuff now than to try to add it later . Bob k

steelandcanvas

Welcome! I found this in the TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf available in the Technical Manuals Section. If you already have not done so, download the TM's for your truck, there is a wealth of information in them. The doors on my shop are 14' wide by 12' high. My Buddy gets his M109A4 in with more than a few inches to spare. Plan it out well now, don't say "I wish" later.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thrust

I also have plans to build a large building. My thoughts are to measure a large Motorhome and make sure the door will accommodate it. Then in the future, list it as a RV storage building. My 2 cents.

6x6TRex

I have a 12' high x 16' wide slider on our barn and it fit a deuce no problem. If you have the money buy a garage door instead of a slider, ours can be a pita in winter.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to share this so a bump for shed and door design.

We were at a family hall party, standing around with some family female girls dreaming about our future needs for a pole shed. Always wanted that 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse but I need about 2500 sq.ft and they need some roof area for trailer storage. These girls are sharp but I may have caught them off-guard or with wine.

I paced out an area on the ground, about 50'x50' and said I'd be happy to pay for about that area for a shed. One of the girls said, "That's not big enough, double it to 100'x100' and the 2 girls would pay for the other half".
I said "It would probably cost about 4x as much for that size of shed", and again I heard, 100'x100' is only twice the size as 50'x50', should only cost twice as much and the they will pay for the other half.

I am now in the design, planning, permitting and costing stages for some size of pole barn.........with 14' access and no sliding doors.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pole Barn

After 15 months, the M135 has cover again. Long way to go but everything was designed around a members suggestion for a 14' door. Thanks Steel Soldiers.

cel pics 10 2014 004.jpg