• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood 20K winch mounted in frame

Markddhumvee

Could anyone please identify this winch set up I have come across. I would like to convert what appears to be a cog pto drive set up to a hydraulic motor drive. Need to know the correct shaft RPM if possible.
Any help very much appreciated
Mark

Attachments

Markddhumvee

That’s off an m756a2 pipeline truck.
Thank you - it looks like one of the pictures I posted is not coming out well Ill post it here again to see if we get better results!
Do you have any idea of how I could pro88F42B74-386D-4A93-9730-4986C14550A5.jpegvide power to the shaft either by installing a hydraulic motor or by obtaining the original drive gear by any chance.
Many thanks for your help!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I firmly believe that that winch is basically the same as the 5-tons front winch (#7412382). If so, then the (bare)drum diameter is 6 inches and the reduction ratio, 29:1.
That means, for a cable speed of say 15 ft per minute (1st layer), the drum has to turn at ~9 rpm and the input shaft at about 260 rpm.
(Just apply the rule of three for any other desired speed.)

This thread might be helpful if you wanted to convert to hydraulic drive.

Markddhumvee

I firmly believe that that winch is basically the same as the 5-tons front winch (#7412382). If so, then the (bare)drum diameter is 6 inches and the reduction ratio, 29:1.
That means, for a cable speed of say 15 ft per minute (1st layer), the drum has to turn at ~9 rpm and the input shaft at about 260 rpm.
(Just apply the rule of three for any other desired speed.)

This thread might be helpful if you wanted to convert to hydraulic drive.
Thats great many thanks. I can get a hydraulic motor that will drive at 240 rpm - you wouldnt happen to know the torque thats needed to drive the shaft by any chance would you?
Again thank you for your help with this.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming that the rated pulling capacity (20.000 lbs) was only for the first layer of wire rope on the drum, then the required torque on the drum shaft would be 20,000 / 12 * 3.3 = 5,500 ft-lb

And considering the worm gear type reduction plus all other friction losses combined, the efficiency of our winches is estimated at 65%.

So (if my math isn't totally off) the required torque at the input would be 5,500 /29 * 100/65 = 292 ft-lb

Markddhumvee

Assuming that the rated pulling capacity (20.000 lbs) was only for the first layer of wire rope on the drum, then the required torque on the drum shaft would be 20,000 / 12 * 3.3 = 5,500 ft-lb

And considering the worm gear type reduction plus all other friction losses combined, the efficiency of our winches is estimated at 65%.

So (if my math isn't totally off) the required torque at the input would be 5,500 /29 * 100/65 = 292 ft-lb
That is great information many thanks. Now to find a hydraulic motor!!!!
Im trying to build a forestry winch is driven from a backhoe hydraulic circuit.
Thank you again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks