• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood Handle Removal

Barrman

I was prepping my winch for painting tonight and had to figure out a non destructive way to remove the handle. While going through my pile of pullers, I kept having to move the Pitman Arm puller out of the way. I finally decided to see if it would fit. It did, like it was made for it. A little off center, but it worked great. I did run out of travel before the really stuborn handle was off. A 3/8" drive 6mm short socket was perfect as a spacer to get the handle the rest of the way off.

This is just a normal auto Pitman Arm puller not modified in any way.

I wire brushed all the crud off the handle and got everything green like it should be.

Thought there might be somebody out there scratching their head about how to get this handle off. Hope this helps.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tip, Barrman. Be sure to show us more of the winch restoration,please.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty neat. I'm gonna have to get myself a puller like that for future projects. I reckon I will need it sometime....

Barrman

Here is the result of all being turned to green. This is the winch, all parts of the winch that come off, all new fasteners and the frame extensions. Those of you with sharp eyes will notice that only half the frame extensions are there. I painted the other ones when I repainted a used multifuel tank last weekend.

Now I need to start working on rims and the truck itself.

Attachments

Barrman

Oh, my gaskets were still in one piece and came off real easy. I am going to reuse them. I haven't had time to shop around for a new brake band. What is the going price for those things?

One other note. The oil fill plugs on the top of the winch were corroded away and stuck. I welded in a 1"x 1/2" bolt to the square hole in each and got them both loose last night. I will have to paint the new plugs which I haven't gone to town yet to buy the next time I paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks