• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood roller fairlead

jwright

I just picked up a 20,000 winch with a broken passenger side roller.
Do I try and weld it ? The bracket being Aluminum. I do not think it can be welded. Or do I find someone with a junk winch and get one off it?

Attachments

jaxsof

they make Al rod for stick welding, or it can be tig or heliarced. Dont know why it would be aluminum though. Not like they were worried about weight.

If you decide to weld, and it is Al, make sure it is clean, and clean it again. And heat it a little before striking arc.

Andy1234

I can weld it for you (and if anyone asks who did it, it WAS NOT me). No charge, you pay the shipping (and it's a weldable AL alloy, there are a couple that are not. Only way to check <that I have access to> is to zap it w/ the welder).

three1four six9one one7nine2 I'm in St Louis.

Andy

powerhouseduece

ditto to the above. You can spool gun it, just make sure its super clean. If you have the time, I would get some heavy al plate and weld that over what you can. cast al. is a mofo!

jwright

I can weld it for you (and if anyone asks who did it, it WAS NOT me). No charge, you pay the shipping (and it's a weldable AL alloy, there are a couple that are not. Only way to check <that I have access to> is to zap it w/ the welder).

three1four six9one one7nine2 I'm in St Louis.

Andy

Thanks for the offer. I have a good friend that is a pipe fitter that works in the fab shop. They got some big tigs that can weld aluminum. He's going to come by tomorrow and look at it.

M920

If you can't get it welded, I have an extra one that I could sell you.
I'm asking $75.00 + shipping.....PM me if you need it...

Soni

jwright

Update.
A buddy of mine who is a pipe fitter that works in a fab shop took it to work with him to see if he could weld it. He called there welding supplier to see if there shop had the right stuff to do the job. After talking with them his shop did not have the right stuff to weld it, so there supplier said that they had a guy that could do it free of charge because there shop buys so much stuff. I was told that the guy heated it up to 700 degrees for 12 hours then welded it up, I must say it looks like it will hold.

Attachments

jwright

One more thing did they make two different models for the 5 ton trucks? Because the winch that I have has the spool shaft that runs all the way out the passenger side of the case and has splines on the end. All the parts diagrams that I have show the shaft stopping inside the case.

Attachments

jwright

So what is the splined end used for ? When the winch is on the truck you can not even get to it due to it being up in the frame, did they use that winch on something else also?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It was probably for an extention on other trucks. I have seen capstan hubs put on other trucks for aid in pulling rope. I accept it is there as an accessory and thats it.

spicergear

Not to be Devil's Advocate, but does the clutch work? EVERY 20,000lb Garwood I've come across surplus or GL has had the in/out clutch frozen and usually in the out postion. I just rounded up another and it's stuck engaged. I've managed to get the others free by an odd type of Laparoscopic surgery by going in through the two plugs at the bottom near the fairlead. It is not fun, and takes time...but usually nets you a beefy winch at a low cost.

Hey don't forget to pull the brake band off! AH-HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! :mrgreen:

jwright

Yes the clutch did work, now its on the work table. I have it all take apart to put new seals, and bearings in and to have the case sand blasted and painted. As for the brake band its shot, it had been full of water. I got this thing all taken apart then got laid off from work :x so the brake band will be the last thing that gets fixed.

Attachments

spicergear

Ummmm...if that worm gear is pitted you may as well not put it back together until you find a new one. Remember you're driving that big bronze bull gear with that under pressure. Probably not something you really want to chew up with a pitted worm drive.

jwright

Got to looking at the worm gear and you are right it is pitted :(
I bet thats not going to be cheap !! Its just going to have to sit on the table for now