• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood Winch

SixBuy

Just discovered why the winch driveshaft pieces were missing! The winch is no good! So where do you find parts for a Garwood winch? Seems to me like I saw an exploded view/parts list for the front winch in one of the TM's but darned if I can find it! Or do you just chunk it and go find another somewhere?

SixBuy

Yeah, All the good stuff seems to be E. of the Miss. But I think I've got a lead on a guy in Texas with a similar deal. Does anybody know if Garwood is still in business? I saw an old data plate that read "Gar Wood" and listed "Detroit Mich." Seems like a shame to junk the whole winch for lack of a couple of parts. Oh, well.

jasonjc

Whatch out for the adelmans which they are 275 for a reason.
if you get one from them go and pick it out for youself or get someone to do it for you
the one I got from them needs rebuilt it leaks and the engagement shaft is broke.

SixBuy

Thanks guys, I picked up a takeoff today from a guy down in Central Texas who has about five acres of stuff. Best I can tell, it will work. But I still want to rebuild the original and reuse it so I'll look into Sam Winer's motors.
Found the rebuild info in tech man TM 9-2320-361-34 and I'll bet the exploded parts list is in TM 9-3830-206-35P which I don't have. (RDM - Is that one to add to the CD?)

We'll let you know what we find.

jasonjc

where in central texas????
If you don't whan't to post it pm me if you would , that sound like it is closere to me then some of these other places.

Thank's jason

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you ever find TM 9-8617, its a wonderful manual on just winches. I've missed a few of them but one day I'll own one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A local salvage yard (commercial trucks, mostly) once had a deuce in the yard. Must have been ten years ago. It was in pretty bad shape as I recall, like it had been burnt in an accident or something, but it had what I believe was a HYDRAULIC front mounted winch. Am I mistaken? Don't remember seeing them in the TM's.

SixBuy

Aren't the A3s coming with Hydraulic winches or did I just imagine that? I f the truck already has hydraulics, it would be simple to add a motor to an existing winch.

I wonder if the TM9-8617 Kenny mentioned is on LOGSA.mil?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8617 is not on Logsa or anywhere else online. Pretty sure the -A3s have juice winches.