• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas can tie down

SaskCanuck

Newbie here so don't hang me for the dumb question. I have a 94 M35A3 and found a gas can to go on the drive's step and then bought the proper strap off Ebay to tie it down. Stupid part is....I can't figure out how the friggin' strap works. To me, the mechanism seems to be backwards. Does anyone know of a video link that is available that shows how to attach the tie down strap? I know I am going to feel like an idiot once I see how it's done but until then.....help please! :)

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some photos of how it's done.

Also see the first hit in a search. The US two piece mentioned in the thread is usually sewn to the front and rear loops on the US type can holder. If you find the two piece type they're usually already sewn to the can holder, or cut from the holder and no longer usable, unless purchased new then you have t sew it to the holder.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I use grommets to secure the straps to the front and back of the can holder so they are like the older can holders with the straps, I have found that straps that go under the holder tend to ware, get lost when the holder get removed, get borrowed from the back mounted empty (from loaded ones as well) can holders. So all my can holders HAVE the strap attached.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

There are a few different straps. There is the mentioned two piece, which is how my can brackets came originally NOS, but they are canvas and left outside, they will eventually become brittel and tear. Then there is the clamp type, shown in a pic on the other mentioned thread. Also canvas.
However...
There is the new type, which is what came on my Duece from the military, albeit cut and unusable. It is Nylon with the part number printed on it. Oh and I forgot to mention, the brackets I bought, came from Saturn Surplus, and were made by US Metal Can. they also had a waist strap to give the can lateral support in addition to the vertical support.
Some years ago, I researched the part numbers, and bought a large quantity of both the Vertical and Horizontal straps from the manufacturer. They are the most recent part number with the most recent change order. I sold them, and had toyed with the idea of buying another large quantity, but I wasn't sure of the interest.

The straps are great replacements for those worn out ones on your brackets.

Installation is easy. The Vertical, is long, and designed to go around the outside of the bracket as mentioned above, the strap is actually under the bracket, and held in place when the bracket is screwed doen on the step. The Horizontal just feeds through the slots around the inside and prevents the can from moving laterally. I attached a picture to see.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yesterday I looked at the straps on the 819, I have 7 can holders on the truck, one has the old style spring clip, there was THREE different kinds of the snap-over latch on the other six, and none of these looked like the ones in the picture that G. posted.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's several straps that the military had that aren't for gas cans but do work and look like they could have been original, if you didn't know better.

SaskCanuck

There are a few different straps. There is the mentioned two piece, which is how my can brackets came originally NOS, but they are canvas and left outside, they will eventually become brittel and tear. Then there is the clamp type, shown in a pic on the other mentioned thread. Also canvas.
However...
There is the new type, which is what came on my Duece from the military, albeit cut and unusable. It is Nylon with the part number printed on it. Oh and I forgot to mention, the brackets I bought, came from Saturn Surplus, and were made by US Metal Can. they also had a waist strap to give the can lateral support in addition to the vertical support.
Some years ago, I researched the part numbers, and bought a large quantity of both the Vertical and Horizontal straps from the manufacturer. They are the most recent part number with the most recent change order. I sold them, and had toyed with the idea of buying another large quantity, but I wasn't sure of the interest.

The straps are great replacements for those worn out ones on your brackets.

Installation is easy. The Vertical, is long, and designed to go around the outside of the bracket as mentioned above, the strap is actually under the bracket, and held in place when the bracket is screwed doen on the step. The Horizontal just feeds through the slots around the inside and prevents the can from moving laterally. I attached a picture to see.

Thanks for the info. Looks like that one would be easy to use.

m715mike

Newbie here so don't hang me for the dumb question. I have a 94 M35A3 and found a gas can to go on the drive's step and then bought the proper strap off Ebay to tie it down. Stupid part is....I can't figure out how the friggin' strap works. To me, the mechanism seems to be backwards. Does anyone know of a video link that is available that shows how to attach the tie down strap? I know I am going to feel like an idiot once I see how it's done but until then.....help please! :)

SaskCanuck, I'll tattle on myself and hopefully make you feel better. There's safety in numbers, right? :beer:

I recently got a gas can and strap for the driver's step of my M35A2. I ran the vertical strap under the gas can and through the front and back loops on the holder (i.e., not under the holder). This strapped the can to the holder; however, it was anything but secure. The can could lean 8 inches or more away from the cab of the truck. I knew this wasn't right, so I took it off. Work got busy and I haven't gotten back to figure-out my gas can.

Having read this thread, I am now excited to install my gas can the correct way (i.e., vertical strap under the holder).

It may seem like a dumb question to some, but I am appreciative that you asked!

SaskCanuck

SaskCanuck, I'll tattle on myself and hopefully make you feel better. There's safety in numbers, right? :beer:

I recently got a gas can and strap for the driver's step of my M35A2. I ran the vertical strap under the gas can and through the front and back loops on the holder (i.e., not under the holder). This strapped the can to the holder; however, it was anything but secure. The can could lean 8 inches or more away from the cab of the truck. I knew this wasn't right, so I took it off. Work got busy and I haven't gotten back to figure-out my gas can.

Having read this thread, I am now excited to install my gas can the correct way (i.e., vertical strap under the holder).

It may seem like a dumb question to some, but I am appreciative that you asked!
Thanks m715mike! I never described what I tried to do though, so in the spirit of sharing, here it is (and I blame this on the -55 weather and the fact that maybe my frontal lobe was frozen!) :) The only way I could see to hook mine was to attach the clip end behind the can in the notch in the holder. Then bring the strap over and try to figure out how the fabric tie sorta thing that is on the clamp mechanism then went into the notch on the front of the holder. Then, after all that stupidity....the clamping mechanism was still upside down anyway!
By the way, my idiotic approach to this is in no way reflective of the collective intelligence of the Canadian population! At least God I hope not!! lol But I do appreciate that a fellow gearhead has my back.

Cheers!

Csm Davis

I hope you are going to display it empty. If some drooling idiot T-boned you there could be very bad results.
Not to beat down on a bud but a 5 gal. can of diesel there can't be any worse than the 50 gallon tank on the frame. Also if you do leave the can empty, triple rinse it, a little fuel and a lot of air is much more likely to explode or catch fire than a full can of diesel.

welldigger

Not to beat down on a bud but a 5 gal. can of diesel there can't be any worse than the 50 gallon tank on the frame. Also if you do leave the can empty, triple rinse it, a little fuel and a lot of air is much more likely to explode or catch fire than a full can of diesel.
Ditto. The fear of using the jerry can holder is severely overblown.

m715mike

I use grommets to secure the straps to the front and back of the can holder so they are like the older can holders with the straps, I have found that straps that go under the holder tend to ware, get lost when the holder get removed, get borrowed from the back mounted empty (from loaded ones as well) can holders. So all my can holders HAVE the strap attached.

73m819 - You are right. It appears that running the strap underneath will cause wear. When I pulled the can holder this evening, I found the remnants of an old strap...

IMG_0235.jpg

A lingering piece of canvas strap and decades worth of pebbles were waiting for me under the can holder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks