• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas engine conversion

jeli

Has anybody published a what's needed list to convert a CUCV to a gas engine? There's a few parts trucks on GL that might be a good start. I have no interest in replacing the diesel if it needs major work. So far my list is this.

1. Gas engine with carb, mech fuel pump, and HEI ignition - simplest design.
2. Flush fuel tank. Maybe a gas sending unit and new fuel lines?
3. Remove all 24V related stuff and go to a single alternator. The only 24V items should be the blackoutdrive lights and disable the slave cable in case someone doesn't know it's 12V.
4. Either redo the trans/torque converter or new gasser trans.

What else am I missing?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Gas engine conversion

AJMBLAZER said:
5. Say hello to 10mpg...hopefully.

Consider a TBI 350. With the proper sized tires you might see 12mpg.
Man, you get 10?, my 78 K10 with a 454, 700r4 3:73's gets 8-9mpg......

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I drove our M1009 from Baltimore to Washington repeatedly for a few weeks and was getting over 20 MPG on AAFES Diesel. Why would you want a gas engine in this truck?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I drove our M1009 from Baltimore to Washington repeatedly for a few weeks and was getting over 20 MPG on AAFES Diesel. Why would you want a gas engine in this truck?
I'm torn with my 1008, I wish I could tow with it, but it barely has enough power to pull itself through the hills and mountains here in New Mexico.......

jeli

If I get a truck that has a non-running 6.2 it's cheaper and easier to drop a gas engine in it. I'm not willing to mess with a GL crate motor. I'm not worried about mileage. This would be for mostly in town driving. I've got a crewcab Dmax for a dailey driver. There's always my 454 under the bench. I got 11 mpg with it in my 78 1/2 ton 4x4.

fredrader

I put a 350 4brl in my 1008 with headers and 2.5" exhaust and flowmaster mufflers..I did change my torque converter to one out of a gas engine..Everything else is what came in the truck stock..Oh,If you use headers you need to use shorty headers..I didn't and my header are really close to my front drive shaft and if I hit a big bump it would hit my header....I didn't do anything but pump all the diesel out of the tank and fill it up with gas..I didn't change anything electrical..I just used 1 battery..I did put a set of gauges under the dash.I did have trouble making up radiator hoses since the chevy 350 takes a smaller diameter hose than the big outlets on the radiator...If you like being able to spin the tires with just a touch of the gas pedal you will love a 350 in it..Now if you are putting it in a 1009 I would say not so much on the spinning of the tires but you will still like it..Lots more power that the 6.2 but you will be visiting the gas station a lot more too..
Here is a link to some pics..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Fred12345/86 Chevy M1008 CUCV/

[

tsmall07

FMJ said:
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I'm torn with my 1008, I wish I could tow with it, but it barely has enough power to pull itself through the hills and mountains here in New Mexico.......
If you want to tow with some speed, why not swap in a Cummins and do it right? That is a distant plan of mine. That would make it one hell of a beast. My truck tows alright through the mountains of Virginia. You just have to make sure you have plenty of time to get where you're going! :lol:

fredrader

tsmall07 said:
FMJ said:
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
If you want to tow with some speed, why not swap in a Cummins and do it right? That is a distant plan of mine. That would make it one heck of a beast. My truck tows alright through the mountains of Virginia. You just have to make sure you have plenty of time to get where you're going! :lol:

Cummins = Big $$$$ and you would have to use a beefier trans and probably a NP205 transfer case.Oh and a computer...I don't know if it would fit between the firewall and the radiator but I have never measured one..I know the Dodge trucks with the cummins pull great though..They used to be hard on transmissions though but I think they fix'd that problem though..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fredrader said:
tsmall07 said:
FMJ said:
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
If you want to tow with some speed, why not swap in a Cummins and do it right? That is a distant plan of mine. That would make it one heck of a beast. My truck tows alright through the mountains of Virginia. You just have to make sure you have plenty of time to get where you're going! :lol:

Cummins = Big $$$$ and you would have to use a beefier trans and probably a NP205 transfer case.Oh and a computer...I don't know if it would fit between the firewall and the radiator but I have never measured one..I know the Dodge trucks with the cummins pull great though..They used to be hard on transmissions though but I think they fix'd that problem though..
It's tight, Not to mention the loss in RPM/road speed, 6B is 2600 rated in a Dodge..depending on the year.

fredrader

Yea they come with something like 308 of 355 gears I thought..456 gears would slow it down a bunch but it would pull a house down if you could get traction..

tsmall07

Its not like these things are speed demons as it is. By towing with speed I meant 30+ mph. I think a 6bt would compliment the drive train of this truck very well. I'd get a 6bt and try to adapt a manual trans to avoid the issues with dodge autos and to make the truck better and more fun to drive.

garp

there is a flywheel hosuing for a Cummins B model that will hook to a GM pattern. Delivery vans using a 4BT Cummins alot of time use GM automatics, Some Fords are around too, big bolck pattern.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not so much as a flywheel housing, but a flat bellhousing adaptor that allows the GM manual or autos to bolt to it. There is a straight and a 15 degree tilt available.

tsmall07

I guess I just realize that the diesel cycle is much more efficient than any gas engine. There is also the fact that people seem to be leaning toward diesel engines and other non gasoline powered transportation and I'm not sure how much gas will be available and how much the cost will rise in the next 10 to 15 years. With a diesel, there are a few alternative fuel options that open up. Not so with gas engines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks