• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas hmmwv ??

SCRAP

My latest edition of diesel power magazine lists eary hmmwv's as having a 400 cube gas motor, was this a prototype? was it the famous 400 chevy? or was this just a typo?

SCRAP

I remember the civillian 350 gas model, it was featured in several magazines when it came out, but that was not a military version, it was civillian version with ac and all the bells and whistles.

nattieleather

As far as I have known they have always had a diesel motor. I think the Chrysler prototype that AM General beat out had a BB V8 in it that was gas. But the AM General version always had a diesel. Though I remember reading somewhere along the way that the first protoype used a different engine and AMG switiched to the 6.2 just before going into production. But don't quote me on that as I'm going from memory of things I read long ago.

Edit: I see Westech beat me to the punch on posting so I see my memory was correct that it was a air cooled diesel first.

Stalwart

GM stopped offering a warranty to AM General on the 350 gasoline engine in the Hummer, truck was too heavy (so said GM) and AM General stopped offering it. They were a total fuel pig and prone to breakage. (Hummer owner since March 1993)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe the 6.2 was used because GM was the only manufaturer to agree to a parts supply chain for 15+ years. Gas engines were only used in civilian Hummers. The magazine is wrong.