• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GAS M45 Saved From The Scrapper

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beside all the fun that might come up here with that truck. Fact is, as said before: it is a Gas engine, else no foot starter.
Second: The steel quality for European understanding is not very high, so welding is not realy the problem, for useually the welding material is of higher quality (except sulfor and posphor content). (Truck frames by that time had at its best a quality of 22000 psi steel, which here is a simple construction steel with no further requirements.)
If the welding is taken of without or almost without any ´trace on the frame, it was so called cold welding, means the electric current was not high enough to burn / melt into the frame. Basically this weld is not existend (We call someting like that a glued weld.).
Third: The frames are could bend, the material is heat treated before the bending / pressing in shape. This enlarges with the propper material the strength of the steel, especially with the quality used.
Buy the way, Pick ups are of only a 14000 psi quality, which you can not buy in Europe. 22000 psi steel is something like ordinary construction steel over here, called ST37 or nowadays Q285.
Wolf
Interesting info. Hey - domestic pickups have crappy steel, who knew??? [thumbzup]

If I understand correctly, though, steel quality does not matter; it is the fact that the frame flexes that makes welding (at least on the portions that flex) a no-no.

Scarecrow1

Very nice find.... So far as rail road use that is a very good question and I would like to find out why also . I could only imagine all the uses it could have been used for ....

waayfast

Your gona like the smoooooth sound of that gasser. Good save and fun with her.

Yep!-- The engines in these gassers do have their own distinct exhaust note----smoooooooth does decribe it---VELVET smooth.Other than not being able to burn waste oil or other "free" fuel I think I like the gasser hands down. I even bought a multi-fuel engine in a can last year at an auction but have decided against changing.
Figure it will save me a bunch of work---and besides I like being able to start the old girl at -20 below with no block heater, no ether,no problem---just mash the button on the floor hit the choke and go!!

Jim

D8dave

Tigger that lever is not for 6x6 drive like srjeeper said it's for PTO that was on the truck at one time the wheels engage into 6x6 when the rear wheels begin to slip then the front axle was positively engaged by the sprag unit and it would kick in and you would have 6 wheel drive . :wink:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Tigger that lever is not for 6x6 drive like srjeeper said it's for PTO that was on the truck at one time the wheels engage into 6x6 when the rear wheels begin to slip then the front axle was positively engaged by the sprag unit and it would kick in and you would have 6 wheel drive . :wink:
Yes it is!!!!!! the pto lever is next to my right foot. the lever on the pas side engages the front drive.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes it is!!!!!! the pto lever is next to my right foot. the lever on the pas side engages the front drive.
I believe that the first post said that it has a REB kit , if it does it has to have a SHIFT LEVER

I wonder if someone who had reb kit, pulled it, took it apart, and then see what it would cost to reproduce it, if there would be a demand for it, I would think the sprag deuce owners might find this route better then installing a air shift

Last edited:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I believe that the first post said that it has a REB kit , if it does it has to have a SHIFT LEVER

I wonder if someone who had reb kit, pulled it, took it apart, and then see what it would cost to reproduce it, if there would be a demand for it, I would think the sprag deuce owners might find this route better then installing a air shift
The Fire dept that had it before me had the reb kit put in it. i think is is a better idea but thats just me. hope it don't break , i understand they don't make them any more!

Crazyguyla

Looking at the parts book from Memphis Equipment, the sprag was replaced with a gearset.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looking at the parts book from Memphis Equipment, the sprag was replaced with a gearset.

I would guess a sliding JAW CLUTCH

Can someone tell me the TM that covers the deuce sprag xcase, thanks

Last edited: