• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas mileage

cfish

Well, I have been driving my m1009 to work now for three weeks. Work is 133 miles one way. Luckily I only driveit 2 tims a week average. It seems my m1009 like 56mph the best. Have gotten 26mpg the last 4 trips to work and back. I use my tom tom to set the speed. Now to make bio diesel at home and I'll be in fat city.

topgun217

Mine kinda varies, in the summer I can 26 to 28 mpg, it goes down to 22 to 25 in the winter but I attribute that to having to let her sit and idle for a while so the cab is nice and warm plus the winter mix at the pumps. I have access to bio but have not tried it yet. I attended a seminar and it was noted there that bio milage is a little less mpg on certain vehicles.

I was discussing the issue witha gm mechanic on Thursday discussing the "flex fuel" vehicles that are out there. According to him, "Those flex fuel" vehicles arent all of what they are hyped up to be" meaning from his stand point as a mechanic, he see's more of them in the shop than other vehicles (regular gas) he did say that I was lucky to have a clean good running 6.2 and stated they were a good simple engine

donalloy1

topgun217, have seen many post mpg #'s in 18-22 range. You have stated you are realizing from 26-28 mpg. What are you filling with? Some kind of blend? Going off simple math and probably not very accurate Odometer. Best I am seeing is between 14-16 mpg. More city than freeway driving. Still I seen to be way off mark on fuel economy. What is your take? Suppose I need to track with GPS to get really accurate numbers. Will try on next tank. DMLII sends...

Westech

CPL
All of my 09's got over 20 MPG's.. My last one we pushed 28 out if it a couple tanks, but most of the time mid 20's. If you are down in to the teens time to do a little PMCS. Change the fluids (diff, trans, t case) fuel and air filter. Clean and adjust the rear brakes and clean the front brake hardware (to make sure there not dragging) If you still are in the teens there are not to many choices left.... #1 injectors #2 Injection pump #3 you are a heavy right footed driver, or the engine is junk.

I got 22.7 out of mine on a trip from memphis to louisville yesterday-it was 290 miles total (used a tom tom for accuracy). I was cruising at 62-64 mph the whole way. I average 16.5-17 VERY consistently for city driving. This truck has never really varied from 16-17 mpg around town. That was with the stock 31s. My 33s and 2 inch lift come in on wednesday. Im thinking that I might be able to squeak out 24 mpg on the highway with 33s. I will find out this weekend!

General65

Anybody running a 700R4 for a 1008

I was curious to find out if anyone was able to put a 700R4 behind a 6.2 M1008. The address is at the bottom of the page for the gear ratio to rpm calculator from richmond gear...pretty informative.

If you were able to run a 700R4 behind a 6.2 liter,with 4.56:1 gears and 31 inche tires your rpms @70 mph would be 2422.The overdrive ratio of the 700R4 is.70.Sounds like a winner to me.Any comments?

Thanks!!:?: http://www.richmondgear.com/streetcalculators.html

Last edited:

topgun217

When I first got my 1009, Everything was changed, like Westech stated. This past fall, I noticed the milage going down from mid 20's to the mid teens. After further inspection was done, I discovered that the rear brakes were dragging and the E-brake as well.(seems my son pushed it down and it never fully released properly) I had to replace the both rear cables and pads and cleaned everything thoroughly(lots of rust and sand). Only thing I forgot to do was the front brakes at the time. As soon as it warms up again, the front end will be gone over and replacements made accordingly.

I'm not a person with a lead foot either. My truck seems to like 50 to 55 mph best. Believe me I can tell, if I have to go on a fire call and get back in the truck to go home...my eyes bug out a bit. These trucks were not built to win a NASCAR race, and they were probably rarly if ever driven faster than 35 mph on post/base. Mine is not a daily driver as well.

I believe Westech has the right idea, keep up on the maintenance, keeping a clean fuel filter and ait filter are key part to the picture. As for something special in the fuel, I use Lucas every other fill up, I also don't go below 1/2 tank especially at $3.59 p/g I do however average mid 20"s, I'd love to see 30.......maybe one day with a tail wind. haha

Last edited:

Matt65

I drove my 1008 back home in stock form for 4 hours and got 18mpg. Of course this was 50-53 mph with few stops. I filled up before I left, and when I got home. The fuel gauge dropped slow enough it made me think the sending unit was broken. I never expected above 15 out of it.

I have not checked it since the lift and tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks