• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas powered deuce performance

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested in knowing how the gas powered deuces run. I have a good running truck that the engine seems in good shape runs strong but the truck just does not move and I want to see how others run and do driving speed and gas mileage..

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang two days and no mice have taken the cheese.
I know nothing about the gas powered Deuce. Do know that every Deuce needs a Pyro a fuel tweek and the FDC bypassed. Do know if you don't have 500hp plus then you must wind out every gear taking the motor to almost the Governer for every shift if you want it to get up to speed faster. Now you don't have to drive a diesel this way all the time but bumping the Governer does not hurt a motor if all is correct with in. When you shift to short of rpm then you will drop below 1500rpm on the next up shift and it will seem like the truck is slow.

Last edited:

rustystud

I am interested in knowing how the gas powered deuces run. I have a good running truck that the engine seems in good shape runs strong but the truck just does not move and I want to see how others run and do driving speed and gas mileage..
Are you saying the truck will not physically move ? Or are you saying the truck is "slow" ? The old gasser engines actually have more power then the multifuel engines but they get real crappy mileage. They also have a tendency to overheat when driven for any length of time, especially going up hills. Also don't rev them up when they are cold. That's how one of mine lost the rods through the side of the block !

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very slow the engine runs great sounds awsome. Sits about 500 rpm but when I drive I am at 2900 rpm and the truck is only at 45 mph on the flats and just will not go any faster.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no personal experience with the Golden Comet gassers, but people report that even the (heavy) M108 light wrecker with the gas engine runs out at 55-60 mph.
Perhaps it is as simple as a tune-up? Distributor, plugs etc.
Also, fuel flow restriction (crud in the filter and/or tank) could be a reason.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck has new fuel electric fuel pump new filter and new tank. New plugs points condenser wires carb kit. Like I said runs like a champ. Had tons of peopel look at the truck and say wow this things runs great and has tons of power but the truck is just a dog on flats. I pulled all the wheels and drums everything is with in spec. New airpack new master new wheels cyls. All wheels are free no brake drag. We took the front drive shaft out to make sure the sprag was not engaged.

dmetalmiki

I was going to say I have a friend with the L.P.G. Conversion, runs great and good M.P.G. Then thought , "oh Gasoline"
Then I read runs good, won't move?..Read some ,ore and agreed with Rusty, and Floridiandson.
As an aside a another freind also had relative slow speed showing for a lot of RPM,s, turned out the speedometer was slow,

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you driven other deuces for comparison? They are a slow moving herd, sometimes requiring an expectation adjustment for some folk.

Rick

Barrman

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. There are several Gasser M35 owners on this site. I think we all pretty much have the same driving experience. Accelerate like a 13,000 pound 1950 truck, thunder down the road up to and even over 60 mph, don't say "hill" near the truck or you loose 5-10 mph off that top speed, 4-5 mpg and a super smooth relaxing 450 rpm idle that sounds like a sewing machine.

I took mine down to the frame and built it back up 10 years ago. I drove it just about everywhere. 110° outside temps would keep me at 48 mph on the road due to engine temps. No matter what the outside temperature was, if I turned it off once warm, it was hard to start up again. I drove 130 miles at the "happy speed" and got 4.8 mpg. Hooked up to a huge motor home and flat towed it back at the same speed down shifting for hills and on the floor not loosing any speed. 4.2 mpg return trip.

I got a multi fuel and the Gasser has been sitting more than moving the last few years. I have really thought hard about selling it since I don't use it compared to the Whistler. But, firing it up and hearing the wonderful tick, tick, tick, tick, tick of an idle makes me waver and delay putting it for sale every time. They are really well engineered machines that do their intended job of moving 2.5 tons of stuff off road up to 45 mph to perfection.

rcflyer70

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. There are several Gasser M35 owners on this site. I think we all pretty much have the same driving experience. Accelerate like a 13,000 pound 1950 truck, thunder down the road up to and even over 60 mph, don't say "hill" near the truck or you loose 5-10 mph off that top speed, 4-5 mpg and a super smooth relaxing 450 rpm idle that sounds like a sewing machine.

I took mine down to the frame and built it back up 10 years ago. I drove it just about everywhere. 110° outside temps would keep me at 48 mph on the road due to engine temps. No matter what the outside temperature was, if I turned it off once warm, it was hard to start up again. I drove 130 miles at the "happy speed" and got 4.8 mpg. Hooked up to a huge motor home and flat towed it back at the same speed down shifting for hills and on the floor not loosing any speed. 4.2 mpg return trip.

I got a multi fuel and the Gasser has been sitting more than moving the last few years. I have really thought hard about selling it since I don't use it compared to the Whistler. But, firing it up and hearing the wonderful tick, tick, tick, tick, tick of an idle makes me waver and delay putting it for sale every time. They are really well engineered machines that do their intended job of moving 2.5 tons of stuff off road up to 45 mph to perfection.
Perfect description of how mine runs too.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds silly but with the shift pattern are you in 5th high. As said your reaching the rpm and the numbers should work out.

teletech

I had one years ago, tweaked the governor and it would cruise at 60mph... unloaded... on *flat* ground. I got just under 4MPG. On a hill with even a tiny load, loaded sand trucks with trailers would pass me like I wasn't moving.

rustystud

I have no personal experience with the Golden Comet gassers, but people report that even the (heavy) M108 light wrecker with the gas engine runs out at 55-60 mph.
Perhaps it is as simple as a tune-up? Distributor, plugs etc.
Also, fuel flow restriction (crud in the filter and/or tank) could be a reason.
It's the cam and valves. I will not rev much past 3,000 rpm. Just like the old Chevy 235 engine. I once had a cam reground for my 54 Chevy truck and that truck became a beast ! I'm sure if anyone wanted to make there old gasser go faster they could get a cam grinder to put on a modern profile on their old cam and with better valve springs and carb they could really make the old deuce fly ! Of course I would make sure the bottom end could handle it first !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only other thing that might hold back would be fuel delivery. Fuel filter or bad injectors maybe. Not much fuel is needed to do a no load rpm test but correct full fuel mix for max power in the combustion chamber is needed to perform right.

Last edited: