• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas station procedures

emr

Accually you're doing more harm this way. The EGT and engine get hotter lugging than they will at high RPMs. You are doing just the opposite of what you're wanting to accomplish. Install a pyro and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Please note that lugging and running her at idle are 2 completely different things. He may mean at idle, but as u say Lugging her is a bad thing, they are made to run, I idle in at my shop i am the last contractor all the way at the end so at an idle crawl it takes me 4 to 5 minutes, and she is fine to shut down.....fyi... lugging is not idleing, I mentioned running at idle in a past post here, and meant that u can run her at cooler temps with no strain or lugging going on, get to know your truck and what feels right usually is,...all the best...Randy

Josh

What I ment by lugging(probably not the right choice of words) is that I will let her idle in 3rd or 4th just giving it little blurps of fuel when I need to get back up the speed limit. Allows me to keep rolling and let her cool down( least i would think that would cool the turbo down, correct me if im wrong.

saddamsnightmare

December 9th, 2009.

Listening to all this commentary about "lugging, Idling and such makes me most appreciative that "Saddam's Nightmare" in my icon has a normally aspirated Multifuel, I may not get the power you guys with the turbos do, I do get the smoke you don't (aways fun when some brainiac in a convertible with the top down is pushing and tailgating....), and I never have to worry about spinning down the turbo. I must be the lucky one cause she never gets above 179-186*F even running in 104 degree temperatures, so the radiator must be good.....:-D The Normally Aspirated engines seem to have less fits, although how mine got through the depot rebuild in 1989-1990 without being uprated is curious to me....
We always had less trouble on our diesel locomotives hwne they were normally aspirated, when a turbo goes your day is shot!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan "Turbo, we don't need no steeking turbo!":twisted:

emr

You Know I have been lucky to have owned one too..., I LOVED the Smoke also !!!..:-D.. And will say In my 925 when i roll in I shut her down ..No turbo there...But have to say the turbos in my opinion are way more robust than given credit for, I have seen so many guys shut em down way early, and have never heard of them having failure issues when in service with all the 18 year ol"s driving them, And the average Soldier NEVER took the care we do as owner operators...just sayin, ...

Stalwart

Regarding the startup, I NEVER idle the engine up to full operating temp, it invites "wet stacking" and Diesel contaminated fuel. Most Diesels will not get everything warm at idle anyway. I like to wait till I have a full tank of air and then pull away gently, I use less than 1/2 throttle until I have full water temp.

On shut-down, if I've been going flat or down hill at lower speeds, I wait 30 seconds and shut her down, I want the turbo at it's lowest rpm. If I've been pulling hard and I'm in a hurry I stop, run the engine at 1200-1500 rpm for 2 minutes, idle for 30 seconds and then off. If I'm in no hurry, its idle for 5-6 minutes while havin' a smoke and then off. I've had a LOT of Diesels with pyrometers and these engines under low power settings are largely air cooled, by the incoming air charge.

Stan Leschert

Post for a trained and qualified driver. You can probably find one at the nearest National Guard unit. Download the manuals from this site. Then get your driver to give you a crash course. You could do this blind, but I would HIGHLY NOT recommend it! There are a few things that you will learn that will make your life easier! Good luck and keep us posted. Green trucks are not a hobby, but a addiction!

wvhillbilly

Short and sweet, buy the TM cd off of ebay for a few bucks, truly has most of the info you need to answer all the questions you have. I printed off the sections I felt necessary before I hit the road to p/u my truck in PA. Truly is a good source....Jeff:-D

steelandcanvas

And sometimes they just look at you like you just arrived in a flying saucer. I stopped at a different bank branch a while back and the ladys working inside looked nervous when I walked in. I parked the m35 right in front. The black stocking cap and coat probably didn't help any. I try to stop at that branch more now as its much easier to get in and out of with a big truck.
You really want to make their eyes "bug-out"? :evil: Go through the drive-up.....just watch you vertical clearance. :-D

Trails

I just bought a deuce recently and drove it 300 miles home. Here's a few suggestions:

1. The first thing I wish I'd have researched is how full to fill the gas tank. I left the truck running so that I could see the gauge. However, to completely fill the tank you're going to need to hold the nozzle halfway out of the fill hole. If the tip of the nozzle touches your fuel level it'll automatically shut off. Also be aware that most pumps have a $50 or $75 limit. I had to swipe my card more than once. An easy solution for this is to go inside and prepay $150 or so with your credit card.
  2. FMJ (who sold me the truck) highly recommended a diesel additive | Midwest Fuel Injection since modern diesel fuel doesn't have the sulfur content that the truck was designed to run on. It's available at Autozone and equivalent stores. 17 bucks treats 250 gallons. There's a ton of discussion about fuel types and additives over in the alternative fuel section; read up and get informed, you could save a lot of money on gas.
  3. Know how all the controls work before you leave. I never would have figured out the pneumatic wipers if FMJ hadn't showed me. Bring a flashlight so you can see all the levers once it gets dark. Memorize the shift pattern while it's still light. It's unusual.
  4. Speaking of shifting, figure out how to do it before you get on a main road. It's easy to go from first to fifth if you're brand new to the gearbox. Burning clutch does not smell very pleasant.
  5. Bring ear protection. The cab is loud. I brought my ipod along too; I didn't regret it .
  6. I drove mine home on a temporary insurance policy without a plate and had no problems. Your mileage may vary. I was wearing my David Clark headset and whenever I saw a police officer I'd move the boom mic in front of my mouth. I looked like a person on official armed forces business who should not be messed with. I got a few waves and salutes from LEO types that I respectfully returned. A little panache can certainly go a long way.
  7. Don't be in a hurry. I drove home at ~45 MPH and I had a ball. You probably will too. Bring a camera and make a detour to go see everything that interests you. It's the best way to road trip.
  8. Look up any members on your intended route. This forum is really good about helping anybody who gets in a jam nearby.
Good luck with your purchase; I hope that you have as much fun as I'm having.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About fueling, I never shut down. Make sure you don't overfill the tank as you need an airspace for expansion. Many tanks are marked where the full level is. Another point is that the tank is on the passenger side. of a Deuce. When you go into a truck stop you will often have to remove the nozzle from the pump on the left and lay it on the ground in order to activate the pump on the right.

As many have stated, check your brakes before starting out. The access for the master cylinder is on the floor directly in front of the drivers seat. You will need a wrench to remove the vent line to check the level. If the fluid is silicone, as it should be, use only DOT 5, not DOT 5A.

Another point is steeriing. These behemoths don't turn on a dime. When approaching a turn slow way down and make sure you have enough room to make the turn. I was in a Deuce once when the guy decided to turn left onto a side road at about 30 MPH. He was not only going way too fast, he started the turn like it was a car., way past the point where he should have started turning the wheel. We had a very exciting ride through a sign, down a ditch, over a fence and partly through a field before he got it stopped.

Also, since the Deuce has manual steering, make sure you keep your fingers and thumbs out of the inside of the steering wheel. Many thumbs and fingers have been sprained and broken by not adhering to this rule.

I drove my Deuce home about 700 miles, luckily without major problems. Have a good trip!

SuperiorRam

Chock the wheels...chock the wheels...

Do not trust the e-brake....you may be chasing the monster ...
Oh I was just waiting for some bright bulb to say that as i was thumbing through these post
nothing like chasing a ~13000 pound truck rolling toward a gas pump or the octomoms stroller

pjpiche1

Just a little suggestion, especially traveling as far as you are going, it will be well worth your while to drop the drive shaft between the two rear ends before you leave. It will dramatically free up your drive line. You will get a couple of miles per gallon increase in your fuel consumption. Keep us updated on your trip. I hope you have a wonderful adventure! Because, an adventure it is going to be! Philip

Farmun

Last night, my son and I took the deuce to the nearby Dam/Lock/Campground to help with washing down flood debris. On the way, I stopped to top off the fuel tank. While filling her up, a multi-pierced, multi-tatooed, teenager asked if I had some quarters so he could air up the flat tire on his car. I didn't have any pocket change, so I told him to pull up to the rear of the Deuce. I grabbed the recently purchased air line from the cab, hooked up to the emergency air outlet, and promptly inflated his onion (bald tire).

It felt good to help this kid out, and didn't cost me any money either!!! :)

Akicita

When you fill up at truck stops you're probably at no great risk of having your Deuce stolen. Truckers are busy and don't mess with anyone else's truck.

You're probably at greater risk at convenience store gas stations. Some kid may be bored of just "hanging out" and decide to show off and try to drive the Deuce to impress his buddies.

srodocker

i leave my running when i fill up....had to stop at a random city gas station one time and parked on the wrong side. so i filled up the jerry can once and ran to other side...what a stupid move that was:shock:. had to go tell the cashier to switch the pump and had him help me back around to the other side. then filled her up :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks