• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas to Diesel generator modification info?

Aswayze

Hi guys,
We just picked up some MEP-531 gens from GL out at Ft. Riley that had been fairly severely pilfered. It looks like I’ll be able to get probably 2 out of 4 of them back in operable condition. The price was fair enough, so I cannot much complain. The other pair look as though the engines will likely be fine but I’m short on control panels so, as they stand, they are not going to be very useful since I doubt anyone has complete MEP-531 control panels anywhere.

So here’s my question. I have seen these little Yanmar diesels adapted over to run other previously gas gens such as the MEP-015 1.5 Kw units. Does anyone know of or ever better happen to have the Tb on how to officially accomplish this modification? If not that, does anyone have a modified unit? We do have some MEP-15 and MEP-025 units in use for East Wind and I would not mind modifying them by removing the much maligned 2A016 gas engines and replacing them with Diesels.

Thanks

jasonjc

I think but don't hold me to it. That the mil gas eng trun at 3600rpm's and the Diesels trun at 1800rpm's. You can't swap the gen heads between the two. Unless you use a belt drive and some pulleys to up the rpm's.

peyton

I think but don't hold me to it. That the mil gas eng trun at 3600rpm's and the Diesels trun at 1800rpm's. You can't swap the gen heads between the two. Unless you use a belt drive and some pulleys to up the rpm's.
Don't the mep-016, both gas and diesel, use the same genend? ... requiring that both run at 3600rpm? I seem to recall that many of the 3kw gas sets were converted to diesel by the military. The following is from description in TM 12359A-OD/B

The 2kW Military Tactical Generator Set, (MTG) MEP-531A, is a self-contained, skid mounted, portable
unit. It is equipped with controls, instruments and accessories necessary for operation. The generator
set consists of a diesel engine, direct drive AC alternator, speed governing system, fuel system, 24VDC
auxiliary cold weather starting system (23°F or below), and generator control system. The generator set
is designed to be used with any equipment requiring a small source of AC power and operates in a “Hot
and Basic” climatic condition range of -25 ̊F to +120 ̊F. The generator set is portable and requires a
four-person lift.
Technical Description
Generator Set Fuel
Manufacturer: Dewey Fuel Capacity (Gal): 1.6
Model: MEP-531A Fuel Consumption (GPH): 0.3
Volts: 120 Fuel Requirement: Diesel/JP-8
Frequency (Hz): 60
Dimensions
Speed (RPM): 3600 to 3750
Phase: 1 Length (in): 29.5
Width (in): 16
Engine Height (in): 21.7
Manufacturer: Yanmar Weight (lb):
Model: L48AE-DEG Dry: 123.5
Type: 4 Cycle Wet (4 hrs fuel,
coolant, & POLs): 152
Cylinders: 1 Volume (ft ): 5.9
Displacement: 12.88 in3. 0.21L)
Aural Signature
Horsepower: 4.2 @ 3600 RPM
Compression: 19.9:1 Audio Rating: 79dBA @ 7
meters
Replaced Items No USMC items replaced.

Peyton

Last edited:

Aswayze

Yes, the L48 Yanmar diesel runs at 3600 RPM.

I have seen them fitted to several items that were originally afflicted... I mean fitted with the 2A016 gas engine.

Isaac-1

If you are not looking at remaining pure you could add an after market generator control system such as this one from flight systems: NFPA110 Compliant Genset Replacement Control Panel and add any specific gauges you want, there are some nice digital combination multi function gauge sets on the market now. Flight systems also sells replacement generator voltage regulators, however if you end up needing a voltage regulator you may want to check with power-tronics, they come highly recommended over on the smokstak board when people need voltage regulators to go in obsolete or obscure generators.

Ike

Aswayze

That is certainly a very good option Isaac.

I'd rather have completely correct stuff so, if it is as easy as just moving the Yanmar engines over to the Mep-015 and MEP-025 gens I'll probably do that, if not then I'll just do the replacement panel thing.

Aswayze

I'll be curious to look at those Greg, I wonder if the Army was nice enough to make the plugs interchange.

I'd probably have to rebox the goodies inside to make it fit in the scrawny-tawny MEP-531 Gen frame but I am sure it could be done.

derf

I have a MEP-016E which is a MEP-016B(Onan Diesel) converted to Yanmar power.
There are some MEP-016As that were converted from gas to Yanmar Diesel.

1800RPM Diesel gensets under 5kW are very few and far between. Almost all are 3600RPM.

If you want to sell or trade one or two of those 2kWs, let me know.
I have a couple of MEP-701As I'll be getting rid of soon.
I wouldn't mind having a 2kW Diesel set. Too bad I sold off the three Yanmar 48s I had a while back.
If I had known the 531s were available I might have held on to the little Yanmars.

The 48s had the standard, small generator style tapered shaft. Depending on the gen head, they might be a bolt in swap.

Last edited:

Aswayze

AH! Now that's what I was hoping to hear!

Once I get the two semi-complete units running I'll see about a swap on the MEP-015. That would actually be much more period correct for what we are doing anyhow.

I probably "should" be using all gas gens but the lure of switching everything in camp over to diesel and having to deal with only one fuel is quite tempting. No more worries about some 17 year old hooking a can of MOGAS up to diesel stove or filling up a gas gen with diesel.

Plus everything is smokier that way and who doesn't like diesel smoke?

@ Derf, I do love the 701 but for what we are doing with these, 2kw is already more power than we need. I'll let you know if we end up with any extras out of our batch though.

Last edited:

derf

The smell of Diesel smoke means reliability, practicality, efficiency, and common sense are present.
I love the smell of Diesel smoke in the morning.

BTW, from what I understand, small Yanmar Diesels like the L series (L48-L100) can run on veg oil without any modifications. Also, the Chinese 186 motor is a clone of the Yanmar L. So, if you want something like a 12V starter you can get a cheap Chinese version, if it suits you. Original Yanmar parts are expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks