• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gasification system

925A1

I saw a program on TV that was interesting. This program had a segment on the use of wood and charcoal gasification units installed on to gasoline and diesel farming equipment, public transit buses,pumps and generators during WWII. Wondering if any members have built a gasifcation unit for any trucks. I found two versions used by the US Government on a web search. Seems like a cargo bed would have room for this fuel system. May well be a good project if no fuel were available.

thanks for any reply,

Mark.

925A1

The unit that I viewed the plans for was much smaller, it was mounted on the front or rear of the frame. I will see if I can find the link. The system powered some large trucks, buses and farm tractors. The details of the US unit, provided the use of conventional fuel then switched by valve to the gasification system.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
While there were small units mounted on vehicles there were also large scale units that made synthetic fuel from coal.

In areas where coal is abundant I would think having a small plant that could produce "coal oil" would be a good idea in case the normal fuel supply is interrupted.

My buddy just discovered a small seam of coal on his place and we are considering trying a small scale unit to see if it is possible.

He used to work at the steel mill (now defunct and sold to China) where they had a plant that made coke to use in the steel process......there were many products distilled from the gas that was produced when the coal was processed.

The plant used the gas produced to generate power to run the whole mill and they had excess to sell to the town adjacent to the mill. It also generated steam and hot water that was piped throughout the complex to heat the offices and other buildings.

Now that the EPA has demonized coal to the point where the price has dropped it might be possible to use it for synthetic fuel (if the environmental whackos didn't jump on it).

midcounty

There is a good book you can find online that the UN put out on the topic. If running a diesel you have to still feed diesel to it in order to supply the ignition source. I really want to build one to run a pick up truck some day, but just haven't had free time to do it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I watched The Colony reality TV show thy built the system but I still have one question:

Does it produce a liquid fuel or a fuel in a gaseous state? I don't think I have seen any of the information that says one way or another.

They don't seem too complicated. They boys from the south should have no problem, it is like and alcohol still with wood chips instead of mash.

;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The Germans in WW2 did this on a fairly large scale as well a develop the multi fuel engine

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Does it produce a liquid fuel or a fuel in a gaseous state? I don't think I have seen any of the information that says one way or another.
It is a vapor gas.....it has to be filtered before it can go into the combustion process....all types of filter medium is used...from straw and sawdust to manmade filters.

I think to use it in a multi-fuel it would be better suited as an additional fuel like propane injection. To burn it straight would cause lubrication issues.

Heath_h49008

Not in a Multifuel at all.

The gasified fuel would have the same issues methanol or propane have when put into a Multi... detonation/pre-ignition.

But, for any carburated spark ignition engine it could work fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks