• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasoline in a 6.2 CUCV what?

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acquired a CUCV a while back and aftertowing home tried to start.
It did start but very very noisyengine. Found the tank had gasoline in it.
Cleaned the tank out changed fuelfilter and put fresh diesel in. It started but
still very very noisy. It has dueltanks and the second tank had both gas and diesel.
So today I bypassed the switch valve.It started but still very very noisy engine.
Any input of what damage gasoline wouldhave done to this engine?

o1951

Before speculating on damage, I would change engine oil and filter. If oil is gas diluted, would flush system. Try again with proper weight diesel engine oil in it, and if still noisy, describe noises or video it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dual fuel tanks on a CUCV? Someone added that. If you didn't drain the IP, you've still got several ounces of gas in it. Also what's in the injectors/lines.

Westech

CPL
up to 10% gas wont hurt a thing. GM and Volkswagen use to state to add 10% gas to diesel fuel to aide in anti jelling.

I have a feeling you are hearing a 6.2 diesel for the first time. They are very loud engines and sound like they are going to
fall apart from day one.
Change the oil and filter, change out the fuel filter and fill the tanks with good clean fuel and let it run.
If the engine is not smoking and has power your good to roll. Even if there is engine damage run it till it blows up.
a used engine is WAY cheaper then trying to rebuild a 6.2. And in 99% of the time you are not able to rebuild a 6.2 due to web cracking.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
up to 10% gas wont hurt a thing. GM and Volkswagen use to state to add 10% gas to diesel fuel to aide in anti jelling.

I have a feeling you are hearing a 6.2 diesel for the first time. They are very loud engines and sound like they are going to
fall apart from day one.
Change the oil and filter, change out the fuel filter and fill the tanks with good clean fuel and let it run.
If the engine is not smoking and has power your good to roll. Even if there is engine damage run it till it blows up.
a used engine is WAY cheaper then trying to rebuild a 6.2. And in 99% of the time you are not able to rebuild a 6.2 due to web cracking.
That was my though also so I ran it till it blew up. A loud bang and it stopped. I feel like Carnac I see an engine swap in my future.

NovacaineFix

As for the rebuilding aspects of a 6.2/6.5, they can be rebuilt even with slight cracking. Sounds crazy, and I would be in the same boat, replace [cheaper] over rebuild [$$], but this thread on Diesel Place investigates this with surprisingly good results.
Now as for the cost of doing this, who knows if it's worth it. But if you are building a engine from scratch with performance upgrades in mind (like a turbo) and wanting to keep the 6.2/6.5 base, it's definitely worth the read.

Obviously, there are other engine options that you could use that have better power and are cost effective as well, but options...

Link>http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...l-engine/273304-cracked-blocks-revisited.html

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing it did not take to long to POP the engine, it seems the 6.2 responds VERY POORLY to running gasoline through them!
KK

cucvrus

I am not sure about that. I had a knit wit at work put gasoline in my company M1008 more then once. I got in it and started it up and it ran wild and I shut it off. The only ill side effect I ever had was the injection pump checked out about 2 weeks later both times. The guy no longer works for the company he retired. But he complained about diesels every time he did it and had to drive the truck. He drove the best truck in the world a 1983 Ford Ranger 2 WD short bed. That was his claim. All diesels were junk. But that happened to the M1009 plow truck also and the same results in ran wild and the pump went kaput in 2 weeks. Must be something with the rotating parts in the injection pump
not getting lubed up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks