• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser distributors

thewatergoblin

Just wondering about gasser distributors and what yall are doing. I know theres a civilian distributor and Ive got the part number but I cant seem to find one. Also I read on hear that someone modified a v6 gm HEI dizzy to work. Anyone know what all is involved in making one fit right? Thanks.

Barrman

You can go pointless with a Pertronix plate where the points are and still have the military waterproof outside. What is your goal?

Performance, milage, top speed and economy of operation really won't be effected all that much by a different distributor. Get a multifuel for that. Now, ease of starting and just plain getting rid of a maintenance hassle is a good reason to mess with it.

Just my thoughts. I plan to remove my points because I am tired of getting those back screws out of the cap cover and don't want to do it any more than needed in the future.

thewatergoblin

The main thing for me is to get away from the military plug wires. I changed it all over to 12 volt still using the military cap but the only way I can get regular plug wires to work is take off the metal ends and just stick them in the dist. cap. Im not real crazy about that. It works ok but as you can imagine, not the best set up. I thought if I could do something different I wouldn't have to cobble something up.

Barrman

You can use regular car plug wires with the military cap and cover. You have to swap out your plugs though. Guys have done it with M715's. 7mm civilian plug wires, spark plug end obviously on the spark plug, cut the boot off the other end, strip the insulation back so just the black core is left about 1/2" long. Fold the core over the insulation and stick it in the cap. You should start with a generic V8 kit so you have enough long wires to fit all the cylinders.

The only tough part is how you secure the wires to the cap. Silicone works and keeps you water proof. Just taking them off again is now a problem. Another option is the stock military wire securing nuts and some type of wadding between them and the wire to hold it all tight.

8mm wires would work better if you want to got the screw on retention way. However, you will need to shave the cap end a little to make it fit in the hole.

This make sense?

thewatergoblin

you bet it makes sense. Thats pretty much what Ive done, I guess its worked alright, I cant complain. I think I may try to come up with some of the securing nuts for the old plugs though. I didn't get any of the military plug wires when I bought this thing and that sound like a pretty good idea. I didn't know if I may be there was a better way someone had come up with. There is alot of knowledge in this place. I am working on bobbing my deuce now and didn't have any idea there was so many people into these old rigs. Thanks for the info.

russ81

I have a `59 Reo Gasser that I am changing over to diesel. If any of you guys want any of the parts you can have them free for the taking. I'm in eastern Arizona. I will box them up and mail them to you if you pay for the shipping. This includes the complete motor. I have no idea of the condition, and I'm not going to try getting it to run.

Just trying to save parts from the scrap bin that some one could use.

watergoblin

I've completed bobbing my deuce, so if you have any questions, or want to see any pictures, I 'd be glad to help out what I can.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like Pertronix, I have used their stuff on a bunch of cars.... works well.

JasonS

I've done a couple of different things. I do not like the military disty with sealed wires. Fine for it's intended purpose but lacking in serviceability and performance (IMHO). I initially modified a military distributor for the pertronix but later installed it into my brother's 602. I know that I owe someone pics for this but I have been drowning in a kitchen remodel and haven't had time to get them.

Stock Reo civilian distributors are out there; they're not real common but I've found a few locally. They use readily available caps, points, etc and can use the Pertronix 1167.

One of the great things about DelcoRemy is that so many things interchange. I made my own using a distributor housing form an Allis Chalmers WD45, the shaft and advance from an early civilian 302 GMC, and the distributor drive purchased from Memphis. Worked fine.

The stock distributor for my 6-200 is a holley. It can be modified for an IHC pertronix. It has the advantage of a tach drive which allows the use of the military tachometer. Caps are not readily available but it can be easily modified for a ford six cap.

There are other, later, Reo/ White distributors with screw down cap out there but I don't have any of them. I suspect that parts may be quite hard to find.

I also modified a mini HEI distributor from a 2.8L GM V6. Works fine and is cheap. Not readily usable on 24V and I haven't had it recurved so it serves to fire the spare engines.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks