• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys, so I have a fairly rare M36 longbed, but its a gasser, OA331 6 cylinder. Is this worth hanging on to? Should I swap in a diesel? Should I unload it and look for a newer M35A2 with a diesel? Thoughts...

Buy the way, cranked it up, runs good, sounds OK but might need the tappets adjusted. Anyone have the TM # or a copy for servicing the OA331?

Thanks for the help, love the board.

Bob

Desert Rat

Bob,
She's a keeper in my book. I'd be tempted to convert to a multifuel for many reasons. A biggie is being able to use filtered used motor oil as a fuel and cutting the costs of your fuel bill waaaaaaay down, parts are easier to find for a MF, more horsies, I can go on and on and on like the energizer bunny............

JasonS

The reo is a good engine. I converted mine to full flow oil filtering and have a converted mini hei distributor in the works. I bobbed my truck so horsepower is OK. Be even better once I fix a dragging front brake.

Desert Rat

Jas,
Brakes can be a drag alright! It's when they catch fire that you REALLY have a problem on your hands.

JasonS

I am still at the smoke stage but I limit myself to a couple of miles. The shoes are adjusted as loose as possible but still drag. Probably due to a leaking wheel cylinder/shoes swelled up. It may be tough to get the drum off. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have the military and civilian manuals for the reo engine. I also have a brochure finely detailing the engine construction and materials if anyone is interested. Horsepower aside, the reo is arguably a much better engine than it's contemporaries (gmc 302). Good design and good materials. There was also a 440 cubic inch V-8 version of the gold comet six with 225 HP. An article in Rod & Custom in 1955 suggested that the v8 would make a great hot rod engine but the weight >1000 lbs was an impedimant.