• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge Cluster

jbradley66

Ok, so about 2 years ago when I purchased my 2004 HMMWV there were several things that were needing attention to make the vehicle right. One of them happened to be the gauge cluster, which was missing 100% except the connecting wiring. So, I purchased good quality gauges, and the plates to attach them to. I excitedly built the panel and set it to the side to move on to other pressing repair issues. So, after FINALLY getting the other things handled, I made an attempt to get my cluster installed. I found a very informative web page, http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/electric/index0.html that will help answer many questions you may have. It definitely helped me figure out the wiring diagram on my front lights and directional signals, plus the gauge cluster. I was very, VERY happy with the way it was presented and laid out.

Ok, so upon trying to get the panel attached to the dash, however, there was no getting it to lay flat enough so I could the screws into the dash. In fact it was off by about 2-2.5 inches.

Has anyone else had fitment issues like this? It's a plastic aftermarket (I presume) piece that I got on ebay. Any help anyone could shoot my way would be GREATLY appreciated!

Have a Happy Halloween and

God Bless America!

springer1981

Is it possible you built it upside down?
I think the gauge holes have alignment slots making that difficult but good guess. Can't wait to see the answer.

EDIT, unless you mean flipped front to back ... not top to bottom.

jbradley66

Oh man.. you had me second guessing myself when I read this. I went and looked first thing when I got home. I'm pretty sure it's not upside-down. The pic is here, you tell me. I also jiggled and shook it a little more and got it to seat a little better, but still can't get the screw holes to align perfectly. I'm thinking it might just be a cheap reproduction. Are the oem ones plastic as well? So any help would be helpful. Thanks, guys.

Attachments

jbradley66

Well that looks correct. You could get a new dash plastic OEM for about $50 in green. My guess is all the wires are a mess behind the dash and getting in the way as you try to seat the dash. And/or maybe you speedo cable is catching up and hold you out.

EDIT: A quick look found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/304010799907?epid=25023784253
Thanks for the reply. The wires are zip tied clean back there. I've got another gauge panel I could try.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speedo cable sometimes hangs up, and zip ties will stiffen wires up alittle...I'd cut off zip ties.

jbradley66

It was actually hanging up before the speedo cable was even installed (the cable wasn't present when I got it) and I only put 1 zip tie per wire bundle (there are 2 bundles) but it's a good idea to cut them off to see if that helps. I'll definitely try that. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll update when I get 'er done. Thanks and God Bless America!