• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge Lighting

blue302stang

I replaced the non functional water temp and oil pressure gauges in the dash with autometer gauges with a white led backlighting and it got me to thinking of a possible way to improve the lighting on the stock gauges. I found a seller on flea-bay selling pre wired leds set up for 24volt. So my question is if it is possible to drill a small hole in the back of the gauges and put the LED in there to create a around the bezel type illumination? The cover is missing over the bulb for the gauges, so instead of making some sort of cover for the bulb i figured it would be easier to try the led method

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you tried cleaning the dust off the side windows of the gauges to let more light in? How about the shorter bulbs someone posted up?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A #356 bulb lights it up real good. Its a drop in fit and they're not very expensive. I rarely need to turn mine to high, the low setting with the #356 bulb is typically sufficient.

blue302stang

The 356 bulb seems like an easy enough way to do it, but i have the two autometer gauges running leds and love the look of it, so was trying to hopefully find a way to do that with the stock gauges as well.

59apache

Chipmaker
Here is a thread from another Oklahoma SS member (mikew) who added LED lights to the stock gauges in a bobbed deuce he built. I actually got to see this truck in person and it was really nice! The craftsmanship and attention to detail were just incredible.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/47558-yet-another-way-bob-deuce.html
i find these 24 Volt Orange Truck Trucker LKW SMD LED Strip 24V | eBay

LED stripes.....they are 24V! They should also availible in the US.

With LEDs keep in mind, they are voltage sensitive. Some have a built in voltage stabilizer, some not.....and with 28V they have a short livespan.
maybe you have to use an external stabilizer.

Last edited:

nk14zp

I use LED................................................................................................................................flashlights.

cyruscat

I followed curryra's method with the flexible LED lights and it works great.

Bought them at Wally World in the auto customizing section, $14 for 2 ea. foot long strips. Light up blue in color, cut off original wires from gauge lights and wired in the LEDS. Wrapped strips around gauge windows and taped/wire tied in place.

Most LEDs dont care what voltage you feed them, researched before hand and found that small LEDs like these will operate from 2 - 48 volts without damage. Just varying brightness.

Hardest part of job is disconnecting speedo and tach cables so you can lay the gauge panel out for access.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks