• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges for military generators

Humpy

Since I am batting 1000 on hour gages going South (MEP017 died at 299 hours) (MEP802 died at 255 hours) it would seem I am bad luck insofar as military hour meters go.

On the 802 I have installed a log book that drops out when the panel cover is opened up, so far it hasn't broke haha.

I have installed hour meters on a Honda Generator and my Int 140 tractor and they are working. Then again on my pickup the hour meter went crazy after 2000 hours.

Was thinking about a digital read out meter since they have no gears. Would like to have ones that fit the original holes on the MEPs.

Any words of advise from anyone would be appreciated along this line.

Chrispyny

There are small square digital vibration meters that run on watch batteries available for under $40 on the big auction site. Guys at garagejournal use them for thier compressors. Occasionally log the hours elsewhere so when the battery goes dead 4 years from now, u have an idea where you are at. They are also used frequently on the little honda eu1000 and eu2000i's to meter hours ran. Easy fo find. Good luck.

Ray70

I just picked up a pair of rectangular meters on Amazon for $9 each to use for a different project. They are not the digital ones but for the price it might be worth trying out and see how long they can withstand the vibration. Only problem is you would need to fabricate an adapter plate to mount in the MEP's round hole.

Jimc

yes i still have them. i mostly just run them on ebay. i had them here in the classified section but i would forget to bump the listing every couple weeks and it would get deleted. i dont have hour meters but the volt/current and frequency gauges are all available. just shoot me a pm. they are blue led backlit with black lettering and all fit the original holes.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wanting to put on a set of those gauges even though mine are still working fine. :)

I can't justify the expense till they stop working.

Jimc

when i changed out my hour meters i always used the hobbs brand which was what the military has in these units originally i think. i havent had a problem as of yet with it and there are many gensets with thousands of hours on the meter although with that said when i was a mech in the army, changing out non working hour meters seemed to be a common occurrence.

only problem with me making an hour meter is that new ones can be had all over for about 20 bucks. it just wouldnt be worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks