• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges to replace Dummy lights

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Has anyone put in gauges to show real values of oil pressure and temperature in a CUCV? I am desiring to do this for ours and would like some ideas on mounting and source of supply for the MILSPEC gauges or if I can just use COTS 12 volt ones from the parts store.

mangus580

I put alot of thought into this for mine. One option, would be to find a civvy panel, with gauges. You could modify the layout of the panel, so that it mates up with the wiring on the CUCV. This would have the nicest look to it.

Another option, is to find a nice set of guages, cut out the light, and place the gauge in its place. I have seen this done too, and looks pretty good.

What I chose to do.... I found a plastic project box that fits nicely on the radio plate on the dash. The box is wide enough to hold 3 gauges, and tall enough to allow for a row of switches and such. This lets me put in an oil pressure, temp, and tranny temp gauge. I have the oil and temp mounted, someday, I will get them hooked up.

Jetnoise400

OR... you could go down the road I did...

I picked up a mechanical gauge set off ePay (auto meter) with oil and temp. It came with a mount that by some crazy coincidence, lines up perfectly with the screws that hold the ash tray onto the dash at the bottom.

To connect them, I put a "T" inline in the oil pressure sender, so my idiot light and the gauge both work. For the temp, I took the advice of others here and got a block off plate with a threaded bung in it that is the same as one of the temp sending units already mounted on the back of the head. Just mount the new one on the opposite side, and replace the existing one with no hole in it. Works pretty well.

CCATLETT1984

Both are good options, I am planning on running a oil press. and a pyro for my trubo. I'll prolly be using the location of the 4x4 light for the pyro and havent decided where to put the oil press. yet.

ultim8gamr

What i'd like to do would be to put trans and coolant temp gauges and a tachometer where the Gen and 4x4 lights are. one way that i thought of is to either go with a civvy dash or keep the original and fill in the light slots with after market gauges like mentioned above, but to also keep the Gen 1, Gen 2 and 4x4 lights functional by using LEDs instead and putting them somewhere else on the dash with small labels for each (maybe near the volt meter). just an idea
John

mangus580

Keeping the Gen1 and Gen2 lights active as LED's will be slightly tough, as they are part of the charging system. You need to keep the resistance the same when creating a 'new' system. I had great plans at one point of putting 'factory' gauges in, and embedding the LED into them.... Then I got lazy and decided to just use aftermarket in my gauge box.

AJMBLAZER

So what is the difference mentioned above in using a Civy gauge panel? I've seen the diesel gauge panels go pretty cheap as most guys want the gas ones.

bus63kombi

Ok quick question on this whole thing. I found a set of gauges I am going to buy for me M1009. Water temp, oil press, and a 5 grand diesel tach that all match. Now my question is. What is the Threads on the Water temp switch, and the oil press switch. I need to know the right size of sending units to buy. Thanks.
I am driving down to Benson AZ to haul back a car in a couple weekends and it would be nice to know what the engine is doing.
thanks again.

lavarok

I installed an electric water temp gauge on one of my M1009s. My method of mounting was to remove the STE ICE port from its mount and mount the gauge in the holder.

4 bolts/nuts and STE port pulls out the back, wire tie it up under the dash, and you have a nice 2" mounting hole for a gauge.

If you wanted more gauges, you could remove the whole mount and use the same location for a 2 or 3 gauge cluster.

I also like the idea of using the area next to the voltmeter.

mr.travo

I think I am going to find a good oil pressure gauge to throw next to the volt. I am just trying to find a good looking gauge that will fit in. I don't want to have something that looks like an "afterthought".

Xs10tial

Good thread here. I have the same questions. I bought a complete analog dash from a junked civvy, and want to replace the dummy lights. Furthermore, I bought the original GM tach which goes where the fuel gauge is and the small fuel guage to replace where the clock is on the civvy panel. I know that my M1008 gets the RPMS from somewhere, because it has the STE/ICE interface, which shows RPMs on the STE/ICE, right?

So my question is, what is involved in hooking up the GM tach?

Thanks.

swyne

I too had added oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge. But do not have the "block off plate" and gasket. The Chubby Stealers around here say there discontinued. Can anyone get one of these for me. I can pay you for your time and items as well. I can not complete this project without them. If anyone can help me I can get you the part numbers tomarrow when I'm at the shop. I really appreciate the help if you can. Thanks guys.

airmech

So my question is, what is involved in hooking up the GM tach?

Do you have the tach cluster assy or the the standard cluster? You can install the tach in the standard but it takes a little more work. You will need a vac pump with the ESS output to run the tach, using a signal converter to change the output to a standard squarewave. It's a pretty simple circuit to make up and works well. You'll have to sit down with the cluster you are going to use and trace out the wires on the plug to see what will need to move from the orig plug. I'll post the pinout for the tach cluster I used( i have to go dig it up first), but yours may be different. Most of the wire colors are the same as the civy which makes it fairly easy, but only 2 or 3 stay in the same location on the plug. You'll have to add 2 small lights for the alts using the wiring from the plug. Add new sending units for oil/temp. Overall not too difficult, but time consuming to get everything traced out.

Attachments

Xs10tial

I have the standard cluster, I was going to keep my speedometer (and therefore the original odometer which shows actual mileage) and replace the fuel gauge with the tach. Is this possible? The dash/cluster I bought didn't have the tach, just the other analog guages. As it was $100 from the yard, I just bought everything. The tach and small fuel guage I got off ebay.

So my issues will be wiring in the tach where the fuel is now, and removing the idiot light cluster and replacing with the analogs.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

airmech

You can use that cluster, you just need to cut out the plastic behind the tach. There is an open space on the printed circuit, trace it with a marker and cut the plastic so the hole matches that outline. The tach backs up to the cluster housing there and will bolt in where the fuel gauge was. The small fuel gauge will bolt in but you will need to attatch wires to the studs and extend them through the back of the cluster. Unless it had a clock, in that case you can just move the wires to the appropriate pins in the plug.

Xs10tial

Yep, where the clock is is where I'm gonna put the fuel gauge. The pinout from your tach cluster would be a huge help if you can find it....

Thanks again! This site is an absolutely invaluable resource for this hobby!