• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges to replace Dummy lights

Xs10tial

Two more questions: where does the STE/ICE get the RPM data from, and is that useable by the factory analog tach?

airmech

Here's the pinout, but I'm not sure if it will help you too much. The Tach/Standard clusters are a little different. If you trace each pin on the printed circuit it's not bad to figure out. The STE/ICE get's the tach signal from the drivers side alt. There was a post not too long ago where someone was able to use that for an aftermarket tach by replacing a resistor with a variable resistor. I haven't played with that so I'm not sure what you would need to run the factory tach with it.

Tach Cluster pinout

1. Hi beam Ind
2. Dash lights
3. Volt gauge ground
4. Volt gauge 12v +
5. Oil sender
6. 12v +
7. Fuel sender
8. ground -
9. Temp sender
10. Ground -
11. Left turn Ind
12. Right turn Ind
13. Seat belt Ind
14. 4x4 Ind
15. Low coolant Ind
16. 12v +
17. Brake Ind
18. Not used

Xs10tial

Well, now I have the tach cluster. Found one cheap enough to make it worth buying 2. Thanks again. I'm gonna start on this next weekend.

that1028guy

Auto meter sport comp gauges are a good complement to the factory gauges. there black face, orange needle, and white letters. In my 89 burban I got some light sheet metal and bent it to fit the lines of the dash, cut out holes for all my gauges, and hvac and radio and put them all in. Was also able to paint it to match the rest of the interior.

1986Blazerk5

Im adding a oil pressure gauge tommorrow and i am planning on taking the sending unit out and replace with the sensor from the oil pressure gauge are they any problems with doing that besides that the oil light will not work, but will the sensor hit anything or mess with the vehicles performance. is there a way to hook up a electronic gauge using the exsisting sensor or should i go the other route with the mechanical

Thanks

that1028guy

I always prefer the electrical gauges. There easier to install and you dont have to worry about that line springing a leak and filling the cab with hot oil. If you buy a electrical gauge it should come with the sending unit. My .02

BIG_RED

Agreed.. running an oil line makes me worry about leaks. Just one more way for my old 6.2 to grenade itself. You could use a plumbing "tee" to hook both the original oil light sender and the new one up to the oil gallery. If you use that spot to hook up an oil line for a turbo, that is how it's done. I would keep the idiot light myself.. just in case I lend the truck to a buddy who knows nothing. "If this like comes on, shut 'er down immediately" is easier than "watch this needle, be sure it stays between here and here". Just my thoughts, good luck.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may be extreme, but here's what I plan to do with my M1028 - I will create the outline of the factory bezel in AutoCad, and layout the gauge pattern of an M35A3 onto the shape. I will produce the shape from 1/8" rigid aluminum, and create the angles as required to replicate the OEM instument panel. Once bent to the correct angle, the piece will be sand-blasted and painted with CARC. New NOS M35A3 gauges will be mounted along with the neccesary hook-ups and sending units. Along with this I plan to change my glow-plug system to a manual push-buttom configuration, thereby eliminating the associated problems with the glow-plug card. In addition to delivering real-time engine data, the custom instrument panel will also look "military". I will post photos as I get into the process.

gvaneck

Hey guys this is my first post here and I just got my truck today and was wondering what are some cheap water temp and oil pressure gauges to get. Since I'm new to this I might need some help installing them too. Any help would be much appreciated

1986Blazerk5

Hey guys this is my first post here and I just got my truck today and was wondering what are some cheap water temp and oil pressure gauges to get. Since I'm new to this I might need some help installing them too. Any help would be much appreciated
Message me and i will help, i installed both in my M1009 i have pictures were i installed them just sent me a message with your questions, as for brand i got eqqus they sell them at orielly auto parts and i have had them for 4 months or so and no problem, and they come with all the fittings, and are inexpensive you can buy both for less than $40.

P.S. Welcome to the site

tex58

Hey 1986Blazerk5,
I too want to change my dummy lights for gauges. I would appreciate any pictures or part numbers. I am new to this site as well.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 1986Blazerk5,
I too want to change my dummy lights for gauges. I would appreciate any pictures or part numbers. I am new to this site as well.
tex58,

You might want to PM or email him. That last post was almost two years ago. If 1986Blazerk5 is not subscribed to this thread with notification, he might miss your request.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers and good luck with your project!