• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges

85-m1028

I'm pretty sure I got it from jc whitney. I was at the salvage yard the other day and I saw one in good condition, little thinner vinyl and only covered the from the seat forward. I just noticed how well it conformed to the floor and layed nice and flat!

I thought herculine the whole cab floor, with this liner over a dense padding is what I should have done!

Ohh well add it to the list of redo's and upgrades, stripping my crappy paint job and doing it right "CARC" will be next...

"We now return you to your regularly sheduled forum thread" :p

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

More gauge ideas

Here are a few more gauge ideas. I just installed Auto Meter Z-Series gauges in my 85 M1009. 2 1/16" mechanical oil pressure and water temperature mounted in the radio delete plate (that's what MP3 players are for) so the idiot lights still work. 2 5/8" diesel tach mounted on the dash. Gauges cost about $220 from Summit Racing. The tach isn't that big, but I have no need for a 5" diesel tach that reads to 6000 r.p.m. on a stock 6.2.
I had two problems with the installation. In taking a shortcut for the water temp installation, a T-fitting was used at the back of the drivers side head. It must get terrible coolant flow because the highest it's ever read while running was 130 degrees. So the probe for that will get relocated to the correct threaded water cover jacket for the passenger side head soon. Also calibrating the tach was a pain in the a**. Used a computer program to find appropriate r.p.m. at a given speed, because the calibration is more accurate if done at highway speeds. 1 hand using a screwdriver to adjust, while holding the tach down with my wrist at 75m.p.h. to stop it from rolling. It now reads about 70-80 r.p.m. high at 75 m.p.h. If anything it just gives me an extra safety margin for the 6.2 while abusing the M1009
Trans temp gauge will probably go in next to voltmeter when I upgrade to 33s.

Attachments

K45

I know my cicilivn blazer I have a complete autometer sport comp gauges and that was a fun thing to put in and I hard wired everything to its appropriate sending devise instead of using the harness. i thought it might be cool for the cucv to have a voltage gauge set up with a 2 way switch wired to both batteries to see the voltage output of either battery. I am also a big fan of engine temp. I like to know it is going up before the danger light is on. Good luck. i like to see others ideas as well.

bht50

you mention putting the temp probe in the correct threaded water cover jacket on the passenger side head, I just bought a water temp gauge and Im not sure where to put the probe and I dont know what the water jacket cover is can you explain where it is or what it looks like?

bigtruck

Does the TH400 pan already have a boss to screw a trans temp sender into....? Or will it require welding a boss in...? If drilling/welding required,,,, where is the ideal location for the boss...?

boomer431

I installed my temp gauge probe in the same place and got a 130 degree reading . You have an air pocket. I took the probe out without draining the system and added antifreeze throgh the fiiting up to the threads , capped it off and runs 160.

T_F_E

I installed my temp gauge probe in the same place and got a 130 degree reading . You have an air pocket. I took the probe out without draining the system and added antifreeze throgh the fiiting up to the threads , capped it off and runs 160.
You could also have the turn the truck on with it warm with the heater on and loosen it a little bit like bleeding fuel lines.

CA_CUCV

I modified my stock cluster to hold some VDO gauges. I also cut holes in the fuel gauge to fit two more 2-1/16 gauges, then I painted it black. I rewired it all, I cut the wires from the lame stock connector/circuitboard setup and I wired directly to the gauges.

Attachments

Last edited:

cjkeeliii

you mention putting the temp probe in the correct threaded water cover jacket on the passenger side head, I just bought a water temp gauge and Im not sure where to put the probe and I dont know what the water jacket cover is can you explain where it is or what it looks like?
The water jacket cover is a piece of flat steel that covers the rear, passenger side of the engine head. It's a steel cicle about the size of a one dollar coin-anybody remember those?- with flanges at either end for the hold down bolts. Take off your air cleaner and look around where the tranny dipstick tube comes up. You can buy a predrilled/tapped water jacket cover for your temperature gauge probe, but I don't remember the part number off hand. You'll also need a gasket, but if you buy from a dealer, they only sell them in packs of ten. I ordered mine about six months ago from a Cadillac dealer north of where I live, and the whole thing cost around sixty bucks. I suspect those extra gaskets I ordered can be used on the front of the engine where the crossover pipng routes for the cooling system. The jacket is held on by two bolts. Beware: the job is not difficult, but involves some tight clearances. The engine removal loop and the tranny dipstick tube will make you lose your religion. You can also use your existing water jacket cover if you drill and tap it yourself. I mounted a mechanical temperature gauge and mechanical oil gauge where the volmeter was mounted. I plan to remount the voltmeter on the radio delete plate. I like having both idiot lights and mechanical gauges.

Last edited:

Militaryman71

Hi everyone this is my first time on this board. I have a 1986 m1028 shelter/troop carrier. The volt gauge does not work in my dash does anyone have a good working one they want to get rid of? also I am looking for the hold downs for the rack in the back of the truck it sort of looks like a s clip with a pin in it? does anyone have any extras of them? And one more thing does anyone have a good rust free inexpensive stock bed? I am usually good with getting my hands on stuff like this for other vehicles just not this one. thanks guys
mike