• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gave my M923A2 a fresh paint job...

NJDEUCE

I gave the truck a nice fresh Rapco 383 camo paint job this past weekend. It started to rain so I didnt get to finish the tires and a couple other parts. I also installed my new led headlights, tailights and running lights. Painting the camo wasnt as bad as I expected, it was actually easier than a solid paint job in my opinion.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

NJDEUCE

Thanks guys. I'd say it took 1 1/2 gallons of green, 1 gallon of black, and maybe 1/2 gallon of brown. I did not paint the bed camo though or the inside of the cab. I'm planning to give the bed a nice rough black paint job with some rustoleum. Also, I started painting early on Sunday and it was beautiful and by 4pm it was pouring. You can't win when you are painting outside! The LED lights do look slick, can't wait to get insured and on the road.

NJDEUCE

What preparations did you do for this paint job, and what if any surface rust did you have to deal with?
I gave the truck a rough sanding wherever I could fit the DA sander, then I took off any badly peeling or bubbling paint with a needle scaler. I tried to feather in any edges but I found it to be near impossible, especially in spots close to corners. It's a military truck, so who cares really. I went around and spot primed any of the spots that I cleaned up. Then I filled my pressure washer with degreaser and hit all of the truck pretty hard to remove any dust and oil. After drying over night, I masked off the windows, mirrors, etc...tried out the tire crane for the first time and dropped the spare tire out...and removed the soft top from the cab. I nailed it with the paint after that. Luckily, this truck was in excellent shape when I got it, so I didn't have to go crazy with it. The only thing I had to fix was a dented in drivers side fender, but I straightened that out pretty good.
image.jpgimage.jpg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was the truck from Aberdeen, right? Nice looking truck and great job on the paint! I actually thought the paint on the truck was fairly good, no? Any pics of it before the paint? Thanks!

NJDEUCE

Yes this was the truck from Aberdeen. Overall the paint was in very good shape, a little faded but almost zero rust. The paint was peeling and bubbling in a few areas and I really wanted a fresh looking paint job. The underside of the truck is beautiful so I didn't have to even touch that which was great. They did a really nice job "rebuilding" this in 2010 in my opinion. It came with the brand new cargo cover, tools and bow kit...etc. I have a couple pics from when we picked it up at Aberdeen.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Scarecrow1

You did a great job and you should be proud of your work. I am starting to wonder if we will ever have a week were it doesn't rain every other day so I can find time to work on mine. I wanted to wait until summer but, now it looks like fall before I will get a chance to paint mine..........

NJDEUCE

The rain left spots on some of the brown paint because it was the last to be applied, does anyone know of a good way to remove them. If not I'm just going to respray over them.

NJDEUCE

Thanks for the tip! I was actually reading other people suggesting that a week or so ago, but my dad got started on masking it and we just left it on for now. I'm definitely planning on doing something similar. We used cardboard on our Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks