• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Fluid Life Longevity and Brake [Wheel] Cylinder Rubber Longevity [2-Fold Question]

Dasgog

Hi!

So, Here in AZ it is now 108-115 depending on the mood and I was wondering about the rubber stability in the wheel cylinders. I replaced them [all 4] 1.5 years ago, but only drive the Deuce once every other week for about 30 minutes. I am wondering if there is a life span on the integrity of the rubber. Does it hold up well in indirect [covered] sun. Does it wither/melt away like most rubbers after a period of time. I just have visions of driving and because I rarely drive it, the seals blowing.
Also, about 2 years ago I changed [All] gear fluids on truck, I won't list each one, I did all of them. With driving as mentioned, what is the longevity of the fluid? Should I change it even with the 500 miles, if that, a year on the truck?

ToddJK

All rubber has some type of longevity, out of the sun is best as the UV rays causes it to dry rot quicker, that's usually why tires get dry rotted quicker than normal, but for the wheel cylinders, that's subjective. If they haven't given out in four to five years, that would be a good time to change them out, same with the boots on the front end. Gear oil or regular motor oil, well it's recommended it's changed within 3 months in motors, but gear oil is usually by mileage. It shouldn't matter how old it is as long as the oil is fairly clean and when you rub some of it between your fingers,it should still provide good lubrication. Worn oil won't feel as slick and you can test that by rubbing new clean oil between your index finger and thumb, then do the same with the oil from the diffs, tranny, ect. Most importantly, just make a habit of regular maintenance and when the oil is dirty or doesn't feel up to par, change it. Doing it once a year or even every other year if it sits a lot may be excessive unless you find moisture or water mixed with it, then change it out before it causes rust/corrosion.

Dasgog

Fair enough. I guess it's like I kind of lost passion for it... I remember doing oil changes and gear oils regularly and all that but lately I just kind of let it sit, and it sucks, cause ironically every time I do drive it, I am like HOLY FNG A MAN THIS IS AWESOME.
I can safely say the gear oils are still legit, just was not sure about longevity, but when I did stick my finger in one of the toppers it looked and felt good.
Like I said, the truck is under a carport, but the ambient temps are still hot as hell. Yes, my tires are hell gone from the sun and so it had me wondering about the brakes.
Well, also a lot of it is I have no local friends for help. The truck is on dirt and so lifting and taking tires off etc, it's is nearly impossible. So I sort of let it sit :(

Sucks.

ToddJK

Fair enough. I guess it's like I kind of lost passion for it... I remember doing oil changes and gear oils regularly and all that but lately I just kind of let it sit, and it sucks, cause ironically every time I do drive it, I am like HOLY FNG A MAN THIS IS AWESOME.
I can safely say the gear oils are still legit, just was not sure about longevity, but when I did stick my finger in one of the toppers it looked and felt good.
Like I said, the truck is under a carport, but the ambient temps are still hot as hell. Yes, my tires are hell gone from the sun and so it had me wondering about the brakes.
Well, also a lot of it is I have no local friends for help. The truck is on dirt and so lifting and taking tires off etc, it's is nearly impossible. So I sort of let it sit :(

Sucks.
Yeah the heat itself shouldn't make a difference so much as those parts are more less hidden from UV. I didn't have friends with MV's around here either for a while,then one day I saw a guy driving a 5 ton around so I took to Facebook on a locals page and asked if anyone knew of the driver. Took a couple days, but now we talk and we convoyed once so far to a parade which was fun.

Dasgog

Well being Hidden does not make ya easy to find! Right on... Never heard of it and I have been here 43 years.

Also, that makes sense as the UV is what does the main killing. There is much I want to do but man until I get concrete floors and some other tools, gonna be hard to do. And then, well do I invest such $$ into something I would rarely use? Catch 22.

Dasgog

Aww she is so good to me. Have not driven her in 3+ weeks. She started up with a purr. Drive like saint. Ugh. Just wish I invested more time.

ToddJK

Aww she is so good to me. Have not driven her in 3+ weeks. She started up with a purr. Drive like saint. Ugh. Just wish I invested more time.
Even with dirt, there are ways my friend. A few suggestions that may help, the NCstar shooting mat on Amazon, it's like $35-40, it's padded and comfortable for what it is, not only can you use it for shooting, works great as a ground mat and the padding will keep the heat of the sand away from your skin. Wood, 2x6's, 4x6's, and 6x6's as well as RR ties can make any job involving jacks and jack stands possible. Facebook marketplace and garage sales, great opportunities to look for tools, I found a decent tool box that had assorted S&K wrenches and sockets, got it for under $15. Flea markets are also an option if you know of any around. The passion is still there, if you enjoy driving it, just wait until something happens and you can't, you'll be aching to get it fixed. Also, don't be afraid to make a post to reach out to all who may be in AZ, yeah you might have to drive for an hour, but meeting up a few times a year, having lunch and maybe attending a parade together or even doing a volunteer run to support a cause will be well worth it. Drive your truck every time you go to the store or wherever to hang out with some buddies, get more involved in conversations over your truck and your passion for it will grow and intensify.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sucks.
Haven't been around the site for a while but still riding the lil Draggin around the western side of the country.
If you're still in Tucs I'm just recently back in town for a bit and working on my truck. I've spent years working on my truck in the dirt, not sure I'd know what to do w/ a hard surface under it 😆. I'll be taking shorter trips in the area to make sure things are good before I roll off to other areas if you have any interest in some runs or camp trips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks