• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear lube question

armytruck63

I buy the 5 gallon buckets of good old fashioned GL-1 90wt gear oil at my local auto parts house. I hear tractor supply places sell it as well. You also might want to get the bucket pump at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, as it will make your life so much easier.

1978davidw

yeah any modern 90 wt or heavier gear lube is much better than anything they had when these trucks came out origionally. Find some buy the cheap brand and yeah you need a pump for this thick oil.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GL-1 helped my transmission on my deuce shift a lot better, than GL-5. I researched it a lot and GL-5 is made for higher pressures like in hypoid diffs. I put GL-5 in my axles, but GL-1 in my t-case and trans because it is made for synchros. they shift great now! :beer:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree on the pump, I got me one of those as well.

I don't agree on the GL-1. After spending way too much time reading about oils & gear lubes last year, I'm of the opinion that Gl-1 is great for the tranny (yellow metals and all) and Gl-5 is more suited to the dif's. Gears work against each other in dif ways. The tranny is less abusive to the lube than the ring & pinion gears are.

Followed quite a few threads on here that put it in "real" tech terms. More info in those threads and links than you will ever want to know :shock:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use GL-5 in the differentials and GL-1 in the transmission and transfer case. Don't use GL-5 in the transmission because of yellow metal compatibility. Both are easily obtained.

armytruck63

GL-1 helped my tranny and transfer case shift better than whatever was in there and the tranny does not pop out of fourth gear going downhill (as often). I'll consider GL-5 in the differentials at my next oil change. I was going by the LO, but I concede that there has been a lot of development in lubrications in the last 60 years.

I totally agree that GL-5 has no business being used in the transmission of transfer case.

Heavysteven

A hand pump from harbor frieght will help transfer the oil. My advice is to let the 5 gallon pal of oil sit in the sun. It flows easy when it's hot. It two 5 gallon pals to change every thing and I have some left over. Do not over fill the trans. I used 90-80 valvilen

greensix

I run full synthetic lubes in my m35a2 gun truck and m998 hmmwv. Mobil one synthetic gear oil and rotella synthetic engine oil. I noticed alot less drag on deuce rears in the winter time and better starting. The drawback is if you have a leak it will get worse with synthetic.

ctmustang

If you really want to be confused use the search function and look at all the history on this discussion. I use gl1 in tranny and transfer and gl5 in the diffs as stated above. 80/90 works good ! I'd shy away from the synthetics unless you are looking to throw away some green backs needlessly.
CT

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL-1-90 in everything.

I paid 26 clams a 5 gal pail (2) the last change I did and had some left over and keep in the truck.

I personally do not see the need to go synthetic and I wanted everything the same.

The sun idea and a hand pump are excellent ideas, especially sitting it in the sun!:D

wsucougarx

I too do GL-1 in tranny/transfer and GL-5 in diffs. Had some issues earlier on when I put Synthetic GL-5 MT-1 in the tranny. Didn't want to shift very easily. Also, I've been told the sythetics do not climb gears like good ole GL-1.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sun idea and a hand pump are excellent ideas, especially sitting it in the sun!:D
I never would have thought of setting it in the sun . . . where we are there's enuff sun to make it burst into flames! No kidding, when we were collecting oil for fuel someone brought me some in a clear plastic container . . . I didn't pour it into the drum that night. The next day the sun heated the black oil to the point that it melted the plastic down :sad:. . . big mess!

stevegr

How about using the Wal Mart brand SUPERTECH 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant for the diffs, tranny and transfer case? Amongst other things, on the bottle is written, "Protects against rust, foam, high temperature and corrosion of copper or bronze bushings." Sounds like this GL-5 is designed for yellow metals. $11.84 a gallon.

broman78

If you have to do a change the oil in the winter the best way is to make a fire then put the 5 gallon bucket in the fire for about thirty seconds check bottom then back in the fire. this will heat up the gear oil so it flows. We do this all the time during pecan season before we oil up the tractors and pecan pickers.