• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Oil for Braden Winch

slk

Does anyone know of a good place to get the gear oil for the Braden Winches? I don't need a 5 gal bucket of the stuff. That ISO 460 stuff is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Steve

just me

Do NOT use hypoid gear oil (the stuff at your parts store) in a worm gearbox. It doesn't have the shear strength needed and is high sulpher which will damage your yellow metal parts.
Use worm gear oil only. Not corn header grease as suggested by one retailer. Worm gear oil is available in quarts and gallons from Walmart, Grainger's, McMaster and many other sources.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question: I see all the advice about not using gear oil in these winches because it will damage the brass (yellow metal) parts. I have used it in our truck winches with STP added to enhance shear strength and add zinc anti-friction molecules for over 30 years and have not seen any damage. Our winches have seen some rather severe service. The question is, if gear oil is so damaging to the brass parts, why doesn't it eat out the brass blocker rings in stick shift transmission and transfer case synchronizers? It has been used in these applications since basically the beginning of time. Yes, there is different oil than gear oil recommended for continuous duty worm and high speed worm drives but the winch drives are not in that classification. My son did a lot of research on this because of the worm drives on industrial machinery at his work place. For drives like our winches the recommendation was straight weight 140.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question: I see all the advice about not using gear oil in these winches because it will damage the brass (yellow metal) parts. I have used it in our truck winches with STP added to enhance shear strength and add zinc anti-friction molecules for over 30 years and have not seen any damage. Our winches have seen some rather severe service. The question is, if gear oil is so damaging to the brass parts, why doesn't it eat out the brass blocker rings in stick shift transmission and transfer case synchronizers? It has been used in these applications since basically the beginning of time. Yes, there is different oil than gear oil recommended for continuous duty worm and high speed worm drives but the winch drives are not in that classification. My son did a lot of research on this because of the worm drives on industrial machinery at his work place. For drives like our winches the recommendation was straight weight 140.
I agree. The Lube Order calls for GO90. I prefer 140 because it leaks out slower.

wdbtchr

I guess I would have been wrong because I would have said Ford Corn Head grease. I use it on everything exposed to weather or could harbor moisture from rain sneaking in around winch shafts and tractor axles. 2cents

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A rusted/pitted worm shaft will eat our precious "ÿellow metal" (AKA brass gear) much faster than any wrong gear oil.

For a winch that is used once every 10 years - eventually pull out a stump, or do a 10 yard-self-recovery - it would be much better to have the gear case completely filled with NLGI#2 grease. It will stay in there and condensation would be reduced to a minimum.

From the books: EP GREASE NLGI 2 is a lithium thickened lubricating grease based on mineral oil and contains antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors and EP/AW additives. EP GREASE NLGI 2 EP GREASE NLGI 2 is a typical multipurpose EPgrease which can be used in various applications within given temperature limits.

My 2cents

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Might as well add my 2 cents worth. I have been using John Deere corn head grease in all my MV winches and steering gear boxes for over 57 years. Never have had even the slightest problem with it. And if you have a slight leak problem it more than likely will clear it up.

When I got my 1951 M34 from the Wyoming state wild fire outfit guess what they had in the winch? Yup! the green grease. They said they use it in all their stuff also and always have.

There are other lubricants you can use but the JD corn head is one of the best to use. Go on the John Deere web site and read the specs. Very impressive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks