• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear oil in the transfer case?

jvrotter

Back somewhere around the early 90's my M1008's transfer case went belly up and I had to change it out with a surplus unit. My Dad who was an old farm boy suggested that I put 90wt gear oil in place of the tranny fluid. I been running that ever since. Any concerns on doing this?

overkill375

ATF is what you are supposed to use in all the GM Alumnium cases I know they used gear oil in the older 205 and 203 cases.

jj

Seems if you've been "running 90wt since the 90's" and the transfer case is still working, you've already proven the concept. Now i know what to do with the balance of the five gallon pail of gear oil on my shelf!

taquito971

Based on my limited experience with these old trucks, I have found that the manual usually calls for whatever is in the transmission to go in the transfer case. My truck (not a military unit) called for 90wt in the transmission (SM465) and 90wt in the 205 t-case. My Suburban called for Dex-3 in the T-400 and 208.

Brian
(Not an expert)

Terracoma

I've noticed the same thing as Brian, same fluid throughout the driveline.

Makes sense, as it eliminates any possibility of two different viscosities mixing and also simplifies materials requirements for servicing.

jaxsof

my 01 Dodge calls for ATF in the T-Case, nd synth gear oil in the trans. They went to the atf in the t-cases because 90wt doesnt flow very well in sub 30 temps. it really doesnt help anything if it cant get to where its needed. On a side note, they went to atf in standard transmixers in the 80s because machining had gotten so good, the thick oil wsnt allowing shifting at low temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks