• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gear ratios

i am trying to figure out the gear ratios for the transfer case on both a2 and a3 model plus trans gear ratios for both, trying to lay out chart and compare, found a company offering 4.90 gears for rockwell plus thinking of a 10 spd road ranger with overdrive , working out rpm and approx hp at different gear combo

Westech

CPL
The T cases are the same in the A3 and A2. Before you stick a Different trans you will want to make sure it is a taller OD then the Trans that is already in there.
Also 4.90 gears are big bucks each! You will pay more for the gears then you did for the whole truck!
Things to think of if installing 490 in a deuce

Tire speed ratings.
Braking/stopping power
Over speed/RPM of other axle components

OD in a 3053A (M35A2 with Multi fuel) trans is.85
There is NO OD in the M35A3 transmission

Last edited:
i am not looking for speed just a little better fuel economy , i have 2 78 international scouts, so i already drive like a grampa 55-60 is about tops in the scouts after that they kinda feel "seat of the pants" if you know what i mean, so again just trying to get the mpg up and the rpms down at cruise, what is the od ratio in say an a2

sorry i didn't read down far enough, not sure about trans now the road ranger is .80 not really that big a difference, i'll have to punch it in to the old calculator and see what that does, 4.90 gears and 49 in tires and a .80 od ratio comes to about 1760 rpm at 65 need to recompute

Westech

CPL
I dont think the engine has enough HP to move that truck at 65 and that low of a RPM.

As not to re-event the wheel on that truck if you want to spend the cash just slap in the 490.

hey in your opinion which truck gets better fuel mileage, and is the a2 hard / expensive to get engine parts... reason i ask , my brother, my dad and myself all want to build a bobber, dad wants a2 because it is what he has driven in past, brother wants a3 because its auto, i'm torn i really like the look of the a2 but am a big fan of cat power so was leaning towards a3, but i really hate that cobbled nose....ugly...what you think

Westech

CPL
cat power? The engine in the A3 (Cat) is less HP then you can make a multi fuel. They are lots of surplus engine and parts still around for the Multi.
Cat engine is 170 hp
Multi fuel is form 135-195 HP (depending on fuel settings and they can be changed for free)

I do like the auto for driving around town.

And by Far the Multi fuel gets better MPG's

ODdave

what kind of fuel econ are you wanting from a 13k+ truck? my a2 get 10mpg, i think thats pretty good for the size. not to mention that CAT (ugh) is not gonna like "free fuel"

Oh yea, as for the power steering, keep in mind its "air assist", not quite the hydo that you may be acustom to.

Last edited:
ok you have been most helpful, when i said i like cat power i meant in general plus i have cat dealership local i figured it would be easy to get any motor parts, i did recalculte the ratios but they are still waiting on accurate gear ratio for t-case in high (using 1 to 1 ) but with a axle gear and trans swap it would be 1478 @55 0r 1747 @65, if i swap out the trans (which i still like more gears to play with and plus just cool, only about 125 rpm less at speed than stock, but i will be using mine to pull 30 ft goose neck so added gearing will make for easier pulling) and with just a trans swap 2028@55 and 2396@65

kelsey , you ever driven a big truck with no power steering, i used to own a 1958 autocar., on the road it was fine to steer, they compensate a little with a larger steering wheel, not that bad but trying to turn at a dead stop .... get the passenger and some guy on the running board to help

mudguppy

cat power? The engine in the A3 (Cat) is less HP then you can make a multi fuel. ...
come again...? you're saying that the MF can/will make more reliable power than the Cat can/will?????

yeah.... ok.

... They are lots of surplus engine and parts still around for the Multi. ...
are you saying there aren't Cat 3116 parts around? if so, then you'd be pretty wrong...

and before you start referencing "expensive Cat repairs", i'd refer back to the testimonials of SS members who have had work done on their 'expensive' Cat motors.

... not to mention that CAT (ugh) is not gonna like "free fuel" ...
as discussed before, please enlighten us as to the fuel mixes [besides AV-gas] that a modern diesel cannot burn...?

ODdave

[QUOTE?] as discussed before, please enlighten us as to the fuel mixes [besides AV-gas] that a modern diesel cannot burn...?[/QUOTE]

How much gas are you gonna run through that 3116 before it tells you how it feels? I understand that the multi was not "ment" for it but it will do it alot better. You run straight (filtered of corse) WMO in your cat?

I think if the OP wants an m35 w/auto he would be far better off doing a 6b/at545 transplant in an A2 w/P7100 pump as it is the most durable..........But that wasnt a choice:cool:

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as discussed before, please enlighten us as to the fuel mixes [besides AV-gas] that a modern diesel cannot burn...?
Modern diesels aren't going to like high ratios of WMO or gasoline like the multifuel does.

Westech

CPL
come again...? you're saying that the MF can/will make more reliable power than the Cat can/will?????

yeah.... ok.
Did I say Reliable? and I have never had a Multi fuel engine problem. I may be lucky. The Multi fuel LDS enginen is rated Stock at 195 HP. With a little turn of the fuel you can push way over 200. You are just trying to start a fight like you have been doing the last month

are you saying there aren't Cat 3116 parts around? if so, then you'd be pretty wrong...
I never said there were NO parts for the cat.... I just stated they were multi fuel engine parts around still

and before you start referencing "expensive Cat repairs", i'd refer back to the testimonials of SS members who have had work done on their 'expensive' Cat motors.
And some fixed cost little to nothing and some are large. It depends on what happens. You can not blanket statement like that.

And I would like to see you run your Cummins engine on 100% gas and video tape it if got this all figured out.

Last edited:
christ almighty, what did i get started, i asked for an OPINION from westech and we get a fight, calm done killer, anyhoo , i wasn't aware of the .69 overdrive, sounds cool.
I suppose though i should mention what i am doing exactly, I have been out of work for almost a year, decided to start buying and building/repurposing deuces/5 tons as flat beds water haulers , bobbed or what ever, see where it goes, I want to build a hauler , basically a hotshot, crew cab bobbed deuce with cowboy bed made from m200a1 parts, so i can bid on the non runners for parts, so in this instance i still think the 10 spd will be great for this,. i always wanted an IH CXT but couldn't afford one now a can build something similiar for around 10,000

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks