• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Reduction Starter Bolt Question and a couple other questions?

a68cudas

Gear Reduction Starter Bolt/ shim question and other questions????

Hello does anyone know off hand if the gear reduction starter and the direct drive starter use the same starter bolts? Reason im asking is my old direct drive starter took a crap on me and i picked up a rebuilt gear reduction starter i bought the correct mounting bracket for it and have the 1mm stater shim. Anything else i need to know when installing this gear reduction starter i should know? I see where the gear reduction starter shimmed with the 1mm shim should have between .002 and .006 clearance between teeth and that you are suppose to use a wire guage in doing so? I have also read where the gear reduction starters do not need shims because the base is a little thicker? Can someone chime in and let me know if i need the 1mm shim for the gear reduction starter? The shim i have is offset not straight if the GR starter does need shimed are you suppose to use the offset shims or staright 1mm shims? I do not have a wire guage to check distance between teeth can someone tell me exactly what a wire guage is and where i can buy one at? and about how much they cost? We are going to install the new gear reduction starter tomorrow morning and id like to find out if it needs shimmed or not, if i can use the same starter bolts as the direct drive and if the GR starter does need shimmed do i use the offset 1mm shim or the straight 1mm shim and if a wire guage is needed to check clearance or can something else be used? Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated THANK YOU

Last edited:

cliffyp

When I did mine, I just swapped the two starters, changed the support bracket and everything went together fine. I did put new starter bolts. I think they are same, but I heard people talking about the bolts stretching so I figured it was cheap and easy to put new ones in.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolts are the same. Use new bolts and washers. Buy genuine GM bolts. Shim may or may not be needed. If you are not using one now, you probably won't need one for the new starter, but check the clearance to be sure. Paper clips work well as a gage.

Last edited: