• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear reduction starter for the m998

fllaw1

Going through some of the older threads from 2013-15 on the gear reduction starters. Anyone have a make and model of one they purchased recently that was relatively plug and play for
the 6.5 m998 ?

papakb

Head on down to your Chevy parts department and ask them if they have one for the 6.2/6.5. Just remind them you need it in 24 volts. The nice thing about it is you won't need a floor jack to change it out!

Wire Fox

I just stuck with the direct drive and used a soldier B to tighten the bolts while soldier A held the starter... I do know there were past discussions about some models of gear reductions starters not holding up to actual use. If anyone does pull through with one that actually lasts, I'd love to scribble that P/N in my TM so that I buy a much lighter, easier-to-install starter if I have a next time.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need 74m35a2 to chime in as he is the starter/alt guru who does it for a living. He has replacements for the 5 ton M939 crowd. Maybe he can help us here?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to replace a starter on one of the M998s. It has a GEP 6.5. I searched and read lots of starter threads, but I am not seeing anyone say they actually put the 28MT gear reduction starter on a HMMWV and how it went, any tips or tricks, etc. Sorry if I overlooked it...

Looking at E*ay, it seems odd that of all the listings for the 24V 28MT starter for the 6.2/6.5, none of them say they fit a HMMWV. If they do fit a HMMWV, that seems like a pretty good marketing in-road for somebody.

Same with the DBElectrical listing mentioned in this thread, post #10:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?174454-Where-to-get-a-new-starter

Does the starter actually fit a HMMWV OK with respect to clearance, for example does the solenoid clear the exhaust? Or maybe there is some minor thing that keeps them from being listed as "fits" HMMWVs, wiring issues maybe? I expect to rework the wiring some...

If I do the 28MT I'll post some pictures and let y'all know how it went. Otherwise I will wrestle the 90# starter again - no pics of that, because it's not pretty!

Thanks,
Chris

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at E*ay, it seems odd that of all the listings for the 24V 28MT starter for the 6.2/6.5, none of them say they fit a HMMWV.
And just to clarify, I'm talking about the $100 starters, not the $400 gear reduction starters that do say they are for a HMMWV.