• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear/transfer-swap.

nm190

I'm just wrecked my th350 transmission (76' cucv/fivequad), and are planning to swap it with a th400 with a 241 transfer attached to it, troubleshooting?

Has anyone in here performed this exact operation?

nm190

I have what do you need to know?
How did you align the cooler-lines? (their different on the 80's something sub and the fivequad.)

Do the stickshift on the transfer fit, or do you have to widen the hole in the floor?

There are some electrical outlets on both the transfer and the transmission(400 and 241), what are they for?

The thin wirelike rod that comes out of the th350 on the right side (i cut it), is that for the kickdown?

Do i need it?

Why isn't there one on the 400?

That's enough for starters i guess. :)

Last edited:

dstang97

How did you align the cooler-lines? (their different on the 80's something sub and the fivequad.)

Do the stickshift on the transfer fit, or do you have to widen the hole in the floor?

There are some electrical outlets on both the transfer and the transmission(400 and 241), what are they for?

The thin wirelike rod that comes out of the th350 on the right side (i cut it), is that for the kickdown?

Do i need it?

Why isn't there one on the 400?

That's enough for starters i guess. :)
Cooler lines should fit. may need to bend a little
should not have to touch the floor. it should be wide enough. I hope you got the shifter to with the np241
The wires on the TC are for the 4x4 light
the wire on the th400 is for kick down. You should get the right switch, but you can run with out it.

nm190

Cooler lines should fit. may need to bend a little
should not have to touch the floor. it should be wide enough. I hope you got the shifter to with the np241
The wires on the TC are for the 4x4 light
the wire on the th400 is for kick down. You should get the right switch, but you can run with out it.
Thanks man! This helps a lot!

nm190

Still workin' on it, had to modify my exhaust because of the headers, but now the flex-plate is giving me a headache.

As i see it i have two options:

Either i can go with the diesel flex-plate and buy a starter that fits (the diesel f-p's got more teeth)

Or, i can buy a new converter (gasoline 400) that fits the 350 f-p)

Suggestions?:grd:

ssgttype

th350 and th400 torque converters should be interchangable. I know aftermarket ones are listed as fitting both, so that would be easier/cheaper in my book.

dstang97

I think you need a new flex plate gas job and a new torque converter. That's what I had to do. My friend at the tranny place told me they arnt interchanageable

ssgttype

I mean no disrespect nor do i want to start long drawn out drama dstang97, but most if not all torque converters on jeg.com for a th350 say they will also fit a th400, and also i have a th400 in my truck, and i have a th350 torque converter in my garage that i will be putting on, and all the paperwork says that it will fit either transmission, i just checked.

nm190

I'm now rollin', finally.
Had to lengthen the rear midaxle, and my speedometer now shows -0 (mechanical/electrical difference between the transfermodels) but the truck is tight as ****.
Thanks for all the help and useful tips, you all have my respect and appreciation, but i would not call this job a bolt-in. :grin:;)