• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Vendors

EF-5

I have not fabricated a cross member. I was surprised to how sturdy it was just being bolted up. as long as you keep the bolts torqued a 25ft/lb, I think it is, you should be fine. I've check for movement and it is still holding strong. No drips or anything.

But like soule64 said, it wouldn't be a bad idea. You definitely aren't hurting anything if you do it!

EF-5

Haha I am only kidding, but yes! I have thought about that. Maybe you could bolt an additional skid plate from the transfer case skid plate to cover the GV unit?

EF-5

I know it's probably against the rules to promote my classified ad in the normal forum, but I am starting a business soon and I need to sell my M1008 as soon as possible.

The price has been reduced to $5200!

Also is there anyway to edit the actual title of the classified ad? It still says $7000 and I need to bring it down.

DrJekl

The revearse clutch just went out on mine. I found out the unit was made in 89 so I guess it has searved well. I dropped $950 today on a new unit. They get my old one back as a core. Even with the original purchase price, I am still under $1500 for the system so not bad. He threw in the deep sump pan as a military discount. The parts to fix it would have been $400 so I figure I am better off going this route. New unit and warranty. No way I can go back to a standard 400 at this point! When I get back from Korea, I am going to put in a 4L80E and upgrade my 6.2 to a 6.5T. I should be able to run 100 MPH then!

EF-5

Sounds like an awesome plan you have going! I'm glad everything worked out for you. I know it's so nice to have overdrive for these trucks. Just what they need!

Let us all know how the 4L80E goes as well as the 6.5. I know a lot of people on here would find that very beneficial.

bshupe

Does anyone know off hand what the model number would be for a 205 without the control module? I just want the basic on/off and od/no od like EF-5 has but all the literature I can find is on the newer version designed for split shifting and all that and I dont want to add that complexity.

Thanks!

DrJekl

My GV unit is just like the new units. All the box does is look at a speed and activates when you hit the speed you set it at (20 or 40 MPH), looks for a 4x4 lock out signal, and allows for activation at the foot switch. The newer boxes may have more options but the function of the unit is the same. I thought the gear splitting was an automatic thing but it is just turning on and off the OD function as you drive through the gears. All the thing is is a two speed transmission at the end of your transmission/TC.

Call GV and talk to them. They are great to deal with.

bshupe

Thanks for the additional info. Ill be looking for a used one and I really dont want the computer. Besides the complexity it adds cost that I dont need.

Thanks again!

DrJekl

You may be refering to the old J-Series unit. You can't get parts for it anymore.

If you saw the "electronics" portion of my set up, you would not be impressed and would withdraw your complexity comment. The engagement piece on the GV is a two prong solenoid on the back. You may be able to just run the foot switch. I bet if you called and asked, they would tell you. Tell them you have a used unit with no electronics, the intended use, and see if that is true. I would wager it has to be as no power it is a normal through unit and power turns it on.

bshupe

I found one of these units rebuilt online, model GV475 for which the seller says it is for a motorhome and one with a brake on the drive line. The model is in the same family as the one that the GV site calls out for an M1031 so I think it would work even if I have to get an adapter for a 205. They're asking $1800 for a complete rebuilt unit with new electrics.

Seems like a good deal with all I have read. Am I missing something here?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks