• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared Hub Oil Change

captcarc

I have drained the oil from two of my geared hubs and they contained about 6 oz. each and seemed to be diluted with diesel. (A lot of leakage? seemed to be visible on both hubs and inner wheels.) I was told that the breather tube is a flaw and should be cut high and capped to avoid drawing diesel into the hubs, unless one wants to drive in deep water. After draining, I poured 32 oz. of 80/90 gear oil into each hub. Any comments? Is 32oz a good amount? Thanks!!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have drained the oil from two of my geared hubs and they contained about 6 oz. each and seemed to be diluted with diesel. (A lot of leakage? seemed to be visible on both hubs and inner wheels.) I was told that the breather tube is a flaw and should be cut high and capped to avoid drawing diesel into the hubs, unless one wants to drive in deep water. After draining, I poured 32 oz. of 80/90 gear oil into each hub. Any comments? Is 32oz a good amount? Thanks!!!
The geared hubs have a fill hole in the middle of the access plate on the side. Fill until it's right to that hole or dribbling out of it.

captcarc

The geared hubs have a fill hole in the middle of the access plate on the side. Fill until it's right to that hole or dribbling out of it.
Oops. I filled it from the large threaded plug removed to access the half-shaft bolt. I filled it to the bottom of that hole. Perhaps that's way too much oil!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops. I filled it from the large threaded plug removed to access the half-shaft bolt. I filled it to the bottom of that hole. Perhaps that's way too much oil!
I think so. 32oz is a quart, they're supposed to be filled with half that if I am remembering correctly. I know one gallon of gear oil filled all 4 and still have about half of it left.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just have a large drip pan ready underneath and pull the side plug. When it slows down or stops pouring out fluid, put the plug back in and call it good.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so much for reviewing the maint TM’s...
if there is diesel in the hubs, you fuel pump is bad. Better drain your diffs, Tcase and trans while you’re at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks