• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared hubs

beehumvee

Hello Fellas,

Yesterday, when parking the beast i realized that there might be a leak on those particularly hubs that humvees has.

Maybe they need some new seal. But first I would like to check if there is enought oil in the hub. But I do not know how. I have tried to find the tm mainteinance but didn have found wich one talks about that (there are several ones, with tons of pages)

I have tried to dowload the manuals from this forum, but still without finding the info ralated to the hubs.

I have also been told to check the spindle lock nuts to make sure they are not loose. I do not know what the hell is this....

Also I do not know if my truck ( 1989 m998) ever got the later style lock tabs. How the hell can I know this?

Hope i can be helped to keep the lady rolling!

Thank you

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For oil check, pull the wheel off, then look for the plate on the side that has a bolt/plug in the middle of it. This is your fill plug, oil level should be right to the bottom edge of it. Whenever you are dealing with the hubs you want to make sure this bolt is the first one removed, because if for some reason it's stuck/stripped out, then you can't fill the hub to correct level, and therefore you shouldn't do anything to the hub until it's fixed (especially not draining the hub)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe its the picture quality, but I don't see the leak.
I don't see one either, but it's probably covered by all the built up dust in the second picture. First picture looks good to me.

If this truck was in the army, it would get checked off as a "class 1 leak" which is just a little bit of fluid seeping from the seal. It would just be noted on the paperwork, then ignored. The only time they cared was if you could watch a leak dripping.

To the OP, if it was leaking oil, you'd see signs of it on the tire. Your tires look clean and dry, so whatever oil it was you found came from somewhere else, or maybe the oil was already there when you parked.

first picture the bolt on the flat plate is your fill/inspection port. If you can stick your finger in and feel oil, then your level is good.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Looks to be a slight leak, maybe a drip, some might call it a seep, maybe just sweating. I see it around the steering covers, mostly. Spray some of the GUNK stuff and wash it down. See where the dust accumulates next trip out.

Could check oil - fill and torque steering covers. Half (other name for donkey 🐴) way to go.

These hub issues are a MUST check in my book. Truck new to you OR never gave it much attention is a big fail with NO piece of mind IMO.

Not sure what one thinks about Service PM's. One fails.... guess I got three more?????

Now that all is clean to work on... follow up with a drain, pull covers (both gear & steering) double clean, inspect, replace worn items and check hub nut and tabs, half shaft bolt. Get the good stuff goop (not plain RTV) put back together and no more worries till ??

Get the picture book TM's for the how it goes and torque specs.

Tomato, tamato you got sometime going on there, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks