• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

geared wrench was a good investment

Horst

Got my geared lug nut wrench this week and decided therefore to do some work on my piece of junk. I can only say this thing really works. 4 out of 6 thimbles were turning with the outer nut. No, I don't have an 1" impact and also I don't see how it should have helped. It took me almost an hour to get the outer tire off and another five minutes for the inner one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Darwin T

your truck looks good from here.

you said it took almost and hour to get one outside tire off "with" the gear wrench? i have not had a need to use mine.

Horst

yes, I needed the wrench not to only break the outer loose, but to actually get them of the thimbles. With the big bar installed you can only
turn the nut by about three quarters of a turn and then you have to re-install the whole thing. All of that takes forever for 6 nuts.

Last edited:

rlwm211

I borrowed one of the geared lug wrenches shortly after buying my deuce and decided then and there that it was a necessary tool for my kit and bought one a few days later.

That tool rides in my tool box all the time and I would rather not contemplate changing tires without one.

Others will swear by their air impact guns but I know that as Horst said, when the thimble is spinning, about the only way to remove the lug is with a geared wrench Torque Multiplier.

RL

Darwin T

i have a 3/4" 24 volt impact, a 3/4" ratchet. and a geared wrench. i have 3 deuces and i move all of it to the one i am traveling in. having to change tires on the side of the road would suck enough with all of this, Without aua.

SMOKEWAGON66

I have one of those geared inner/outer lug wrenches. I love it...only had to use it once so far on 2 lugs. Always a good investment.

Gunner0311

Ditto on all the above.

Plus recently I bought a 3/4 inch Air Driven Impact and use air from on of the
Glad Hands" to power it. The M52A2's air system is stout enough to operate
the impact wrench with ease. We tested it on the lug nuts and it works great!

Note that I have not yet tested it on my M109A3, but would think it would work
in a similar fashion. Has anyone else used air from the brake system to run
power tools?:driver:

ODdave

Has anyone else used air from the brake system to run power tools?:driver:
:shock: MY GOD NO. You can NOT use that air for that. It will not work.

Yea..... Just messing with ya. It works well but the volume is limited. Some add extra tanks to aid in this. I use a glad hand adapter but there are a few threads on puting a fitting in the cab.

dave wagner

I put a 1/4 inch air chuck on one of the glad hands on a M54a2 to fill tires etc. Also have an M135, it has a 1/4 turn valve under the drivers side dash that I put 1/4 inch chuck on too. they both work well in a pinch, but a good shop compressor is a lot better.

JAYHAWK 1962

I have one also great piece of equipment to have. I think there something called a porkchop wrench that prevents the turning of the lug nut while loosening the otehr one. It is made by ken tool. Search for porkchop wrench. You can buy them online from walmart for like 20 bucks.

Horst, wow, please.do not work on your truck.like that. I almost got killed that way with an old Chevy when the jack stands collapsed into the dirt and the vehicle fell.
Always have something to support them!

Munich? That is a nice new airport you have there. Too bad I can't get a fresh pretzel and cold beer there when I fly through there about 0700...

Last edited:

Horst

thanks for the words of caution. I admit it looks terrible. I changed it in the mean time.. And Mike, why no beer and pretzels in Munich? 8 hours from the bottle to the throttle? And I agree, nice airport:

Attachments

Last edited:

rlwm211

I got my gear wrench on our online auction place we are not supposed to mention for some reason. I paid 120$ shipped about 2-1/2 years ago.

It was brand new with the cosmoline all over it.

RL

the porkchop holds the outer budd nut while you loosen the inner. you only use it after you screwed up. the geared wrench is the $hit and I wish i had one when I worked at the tire shop. I got mine on an online auction for $80.00. Try some never-sieze to keep the inners and outers from sticking

Last edited:

Horst

I have the wheels back on. Only one thimble/nut would not come apart, no matter what I did with the tools I have. Anyway, a quick special attention also solved that problem :)

Attachments