• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gears or trans swap

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put 35's on M1028, it drives alot better on the highway, maybe 66 MPH, I just put a NV4500 and 35's on a different M1028 and It drives perfect. IMO. hope that sheds some light for you. thanks

blazer85

If I remember right, the FF14bolt has a carrier break at 3.73 and down, 4.10 and up. Which means the highest gear you could run with the 4.56 carrier would be a 4.10.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, depends on how big/small the budget is. With a huge budget I'd likely get all the parts to install a 4L80E. Seconded by installing a 700R4.

With a small budget, go with 35" tires and a limited amount of front wheelwell trimming.

A change to 3.73's would require changing the carrier also meaning more cost. The 3.73's do work well with 33" tires.

I run 33.3" 255/85-16 BFG's om my 1008.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the lazy but high dollar option 3, the Gear Vendors overdrive unit? Anyone running it? Seems like you could install it in an hour. Much easier than the ratio swap or trans swap.

Dieselsmoke

Seems like you could install it in an hour.
Not a chance, done a ton of them. You do need to shorten the rear driveshaft, and the Gear Vendor doesn't work in 4x4.

There is one custom built 4x4 Gear Vendor unit in existence, one of their former employees did it trying to convince them that there was a market for a 4x4 unit.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put 35's on M1028, it drives alot better on the highway, maybe 66 MPH, I just put a NV4500 and 35's on a different M1028 and It drives perfect. IMO. hope that sheds some light for you. thanks
I saw the M1028 he put the NV4500 with 35's on it. It WAS slick. I loved his mandrel bent exhaust system. Plus what a nice touch it was with a 'pineapple grenade' as the shifter for his NV4500 standard tranny.

Plus his shop is great. It's really clean. Everything is organized. He has a slick new paint booth and his own dyno, though in all honesty, it's only for two wheel drive vehicles.

But all and all, it was a great tour. His work on muscle cars is STELLAR. Really. No, I don't work for him. I did like a shop that was so clean you could eat off the floor. And that's while he had six or eight bays going with all sorts of muscle cars being built, rebuilt, repaired, etc.

Oh, and I concur. 3.73's with the 33's will probably do everything you are looking for.