• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gearvendor

M1008driver

Yes, I did a search. Do you think the gearvendor is worth the price?

I was reading about transmissions and none of them really jump out if you want a auto non computer trans. I was also thinking 6.2 replacement engines are way less than a Cummins and the gearvendor might let me get the most out of my 6.2.

I don't usually push my equipment to the limit. I have a 6500 lb trailer I am thinking about trading for one that weighs less. :grin:

kenz5380

I don't have a gear vendor over/underdrive, but I spent a lot of time looking at them and asking around. From what I've heard they are great, but they are pricey. I opted to just put 3.73s under my M1008 instead of the stock 4.56s

I know there are a lot of guys on here that think this is sacrilegious, but I drive too much on the highway for 4.56s and I was going to burn up than drive train with those high RPMs.

I got my new gears, but I haven't put them in yet. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out, if I lose a lot of low end power, or whatever happens. I would have loved to get a Gear vendors, but they are just so expensive compared to the $100 I spent on new gears.

M1008driver

I thought about that too. I am thinking getting the RPM's down will extend my engine life. I do want to keep my 4.56's. Plus any upgrades I do could easily be swapped to a new engine if I need one.

My only question is how to get my wife to pay for this...maybe fake transmission problems. She has more of my money in savings and can squeeze a dime until it screams. :beer:

pistonium

Have you thought of a Ranger overdrive with a NV4500 5 speed OD tranny retrofit, (or even a SM465 4 speed)? I think that is the way I will go if I ever get the time and the money to devote to my 1008. The ranger I think is cheaper than a Gearvendors, and avoids the 4X4 issues as the Ranger goes upstream of all the tranny/transfer cases.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Despite what a great number of my non-700R4 owning friends here will say, a properly built 700R4 will handle a 6.2 or 6.5 nicely. I've had quite a few and have been most pleased. Currently have one in my 91 6.2 powered burb and it works without complaint every day, even towing. I have one I'm setting up for my M1008 as well. Soon after I post this a dozen or so folks will be along to tell you all of the horror stories about their brother in laws backyard neighbor who knew a little bikini clad girl with large assetts that had a half ton with a 700R4 and everytime she hooked up her 400# hotdog cart, the transmission exploded with a sonic boom. Just saying!

kenz5380

Despite what a great number of my non-700R4 owning friends here will say, a properly built 700R4 will handle a 6.2 or 6.5 nicely. I've had quite a few and have been most pleased. Currently have one in my 91 6.2 powered burb and it works without complaint every day, even towing. I have one I'm setting up for my M1008 as well. Soon after I post this a dozen or so folks will be along to tell you all of the horror stories about their brother in laws backyard neighbor who knew a little bikini clad girl with large assetts that had a half ton with a 700R4 and everytime she hooked up her 400# hotdog cart, the transmission exploded with a sonic boom. Just saying!

Awesome!

jaxsof

The Dodge and Chevys that had the 4500 seemed to do alright, but, even as a Dodge-Guy, I really would advise steering away from the 5600. They have a serious problem with shearing the input shaft, and they are getting hard to come by. I have a factory 4500, and at 6k miles my origional one was replaced. Seems there was a machining error in it and it ate itself. The replacement has lived 160k miles so far without even a twitch.

I always liked those trucks, drove the pee-pee out of them as a grunt, and agree, they need a little more (or less) gearing. Swapping to a manual is every bit of a headache, and I agree completely that a 700R4 is up to the task, provided you get it gone-through by someone who knows their stuff.

Once you dont have to worry so much about it going bang, should be a lot of fun, not that it isnt now :D

jj

I just bought a 95 3500HD truck with a 454 and the NV-4500 transmission and 4.63 gears in the axle. I am inclined to agree with the linked article. The gear ratios in the NV-4500 are widely spaced and, well, they just seem cumbersome. And this is with a 454 (read: a lot of torque). In the little bit i've driven, i find myself wishing for something lower than 2nd to start and another gear between 3rd and 4th. Oh, and another gear after 5th, because 60mph is already 2200rpm. The Ranger overdrive might have some merit here, but i've not researched enough to know if it will fit in front of the 4500.

ODdave

ran a 4500 in mine with a 6.5 and loved it. IMO well worth the effort. Yea there pricey but they hold up well. I have one in my DD, one in my scrap hauler (both with 200+k on them) and the 2 i have had im my 1028 with out ANY trouble.

rickf

I agree 100%. I have seen 700R4's behind some really serious horsepower and they do fine if they are rebuilt with quality parts. You have 165 horsepower, you are not going to kill a R4 with that. PLUS, you get a lower first gear and an overdrive 4th. Lower first and 4:56 gears and you will pull a house with that 165 HP! Heck, I drove old tractor trailer trucks with 170 HP Cummins in them. It's all in the gearing. ESPECIALLY if you are going to bigger tires.

Rick

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]I believe I said in your other thread that the 700r4 is a no computer no vacuum transmission. It is a stand-alone trans that works fine with my turbo 6.2 in my 7000lb truck. [/FONT]

idM1028

Supposedly the U.S. Gear OD's are no longer in production. Sounds like U.S. Gear got bought up by a company called AxleTech International, which decided to scrap production of the OD units.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks