• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 and 2 lights?

MTMUDRUNNER

I just picked up my 1st 83 CUCV pickup and I have a few questions. When I turn the key on the gen 2 light comes on but the gen 1 light does not. When I start it the gen 2 light stays on, still no gen 1 light. When I rev the engine the gen 2 light sometimes flickers. Thank you for the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the SS site.

Have you spent time reading all the stickies in the CUCV forum?

There is a great sticky covering the alternators.

For the alternators to function the GEN1 and GEN2 light must work. Deal with the GEN1 light first as it charges the front battery which most of the truck operates from.

something else. Does your truck have two alternators? Is the wiring stock, or has it been converted to 12v?

Last edited:

M1008driver

Make sure you have two alternators and not converted to 12 volt. As far as a flickering GEN 2 light, I wouldn't worry unless your passenger side alternator starts acting up or you can rebuild now. Watch you alternator voltage to see if you have a problem. Get a voltmeter and use it. Peace!

EDIT- oops, my apology Warthog

MTMUDRUNNER

I was all screwed up, it is the gen 1 light that comes on and stays on the gen 2 never comes on. I did read the sticky on the alt. very informative and helped alot. I checked the bulbs in both they are both good Just to make sure I checked them with a test light and 1 has power and 2 dosent. Are the lights designed to stay on while it is running or turn off after it starts? The wiring is stock with 2 alternators. I also charged both batteries to eliminate that. Thanks for the welcome and the info.
Welcome to the SS site.

Have you spent time reading all the stickies in the CUCV forum?

There is a great sticky covering the alternators.

For the alternators to function the GEN1 and GEN2 light must work. Deal with the GEN1 light first as it charges the front battery which most of the truck operates from.

something else. Does your truck have two alternators? Is the wiring stock, or has it been converted to 12v?

cpf240

Key on, engine off, both gen lights on

Once the engine is running, the lights will go out once the alts start putting out a good charging voltage / current. This may require a quick goose of the fuel pedal to get the alts to the rpm at which they turn on.